Thread: Chemical "HAND WARMERS" Educate me, your experience. "SURVIVAL"

Default Chemical "HAND WARMERS" Educate me, your experience. "SURVIVAL"

So......what is your experience with chemical hand warmers........???? The Good, Bad, Ugly, Dangerous, etc.

Will they melt nylon.....??? Have you been burned.......???? It is not like I have never used them, but I want to explore reducing the bulk of my winter survival pack, by shifting to a smaller sleeping bag and using chemical hand warmer to supplement

Is one brand superior to the others......??? I see they have a four year storage life. Are there toxic fumes, if used in a tent or sleeping bag..........????

I've used both kinds of them.
    I don't think they could melt nylon.
    Never noticed any fumes and no warnings on the label for fumes
    They do warn on the package of possible burns but that has never been an issue for me.
    I believe they claim 175* max temp iirc.
    The rechargeable ones are nice in that once used you can boil in water for a few minutes to recharge them.
    Pop the disc inside to start the heating cycle again.
    Downside is they only last 1/2 hour or so.
    Mainly for a quick hand warm up.
    The air activated ones last several hour's time.
    They do need air to work.
    Depending on how airtight your bag is it might be an issue to consider.
    You can seal a partially used one in an airtight Ziploc bag with the air squeezed out for finishing use later.
    They can get spendy if used a lot.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Thanks, I did not know that. That would be very useful in a survival situation.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    You can seal a partially used one in an airtight Ziploc bag with the air squeezed out for finishing use later.......

I have used many for archery hunting of the charcoal ones. They work great. I have a vest with 2 pockets sewed in over the kidneys. Used near the bottom layer they are great. There are several sizes from toe, hand and body. I used to even heat up my doe urine with one. Warm pee is more attractive.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

And people think that I am weird.......

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Warm pee is more attractive.

I have this picture in my head of a young "Intelligence Analyst" working at National Security Agency Headquarters, he reads your post, and flags the supervisor..........."What do you think"........."Might be a coded message to activate a sleeper terrorist cell"..........

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Warm pee is more attractive.

If you were in bar would you be more attractive to the cold doe of the hot one???? Actually warm liquids such as doe urine the smell travels farther.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    So......what is your experience with chemical hand warmers........???? The Good, Bad, Ugly, Dangerous, etc.

Will they melt nylon.....??? Have you been burned.......???? It is not like I have never used them, but I want to explore reducing the bulk of my winter survival pack, by shifting to a smaller sleeping bag and using chemical hand warmer to supplement

Is one brand superior to the others......??? I see they have a four year storage life. Are there toxic fumes, if used in a tent or sleeping bag..........????
    Ya they put out some heat but I don't see them as a replacement for a warm survival sleeping bag.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Ya they put out some heat but I don't see them as a replacement for a warm survival sleeping bag.
    I couldn't agree more on this.
    Would be nice for a warm up of your hands/feet but not a replacement for a good sleeping bag.
    Especially when you run out of them!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I've used the large body-sized air-activated warmers inside my sleeping bag with pretty satisfying results. Seems to me that they last about 8 hours but it may even be 12 hours. I've also used the charcoal-style warmers down in the foot of my sleeping bags to keep my feet warm. The charcoal ones work pretty well but I would caution you to always use a couple of rubber bands around them to prevent accidental opening. The charcoal warmers can burn you or melt your sleeping bag if they accidentally opened. I have had that happen once and always used rubber bands around them after that experience!

Default Not 100% reliable

Air activated hand warmers appear to have a shelf life after which they may not perform properly. On a medical aircraft in the interior winter we carried 100 or so hand warmers for the what if situation. Each autumn the old warmers were replaced with new. As a substitute for sleeping bag loft you encounter the what if they don't work situation? Between glove and liner the hand warmer delays necessity for over mittens and under the toes those little ones are super for keeping feet toasty. My iPhone quits working in really cold weather and a warmer in the parka pocket solves that problem. Good luck on going lighter.

The larger foot warmers put out a lot more heat. In my experience, they are better for cold fingers below the 0* mark. The smaller hand warmers work fine for warmer temps.