Thread: Haul Road Question

Default Haul Road Question

Thinking of doing the haul road for caribou this fall. I was wondering if a pop up blind would be effective for caribou traveling along the pipeline. I know the caribou get skittish when they get near the pipeline and was thinking about taking a double bull a few hundred yards beyond. Does anyone think this would be effective or am I missing something in my thinking

If you're only a few hundred yards off the road, and the caribou start coming your way, you'll suddenly be greated with screaching tires and a bunch of yahoos running out of their vehicles wildly flinging arrows.

Caribou are generally too fickle to make a blind worth your while, and the yahoos muck it up should it actually work.

Default What

Caribou are not skidish when near the pipeline. I shot mine last year as he walked out from under it. He was part of a group of 200 or so animals. About 50-70 of them were under the pipeline in the shade trying to avoid the heat. They have no idea what the pipeline is except: A: a place to get in the shade. B: easy walking on the access road. C: a place where the grass is usually exposed first in the spring.

I watched someone using a blind last year. He set up about 40 yards off of the road under the pipline, within 80 yards of my truck. It did not seem like the best of setups to me.

A blind could work. I am taking my unbrella for my treestand. It is a half circle, flat on one side and weighs less than a pound. It is about 4' high when set up. It will probably look like a rock to them.

Montana decoy is supposed to have a decoy out soon for caribou.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

A blind seems like a reasonable tactic to me.
    If you have trouble finding the main herd, there are usually plenty of stragglers hanging around. Be patient and get away from the road a bit. Most of the hunters up there do cruise the road so you can depend on movement away from the highway.
    The umbrella seems like a good idea also . .and very handy if it rains.

Only one way to find out. Give it a try. I use a decoy attached to my bow. It worked great.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Wew went up there at the end of Sept a few years ago. Snow on the ground and a constant 20 degrees during the day. In my experience, the carbiou are skittish at the pipeline and the road. The caribou I saw, and we saw about 3,000 animals, would stop about 200 yards from the pipeline or road and mill around. After usually a half hour to an hour, the lead cow would start towards the pipeline or road. I finally got mine by watching the first herds through in the morning, they seemed to follow into the same general area the rest of the day. I built a snow fort about 75 yards from the road and ambushed them as they came by. I will admit I should have waited, I shot a small bull but there were some giants right behind. So in my experience, and only mine, a blind would work.

I've been regularly harvesting caribou on the haul road for the past 15 years or better. (I used to have to get a permit from DOT to travel north of Disaster creek) If a fellow doesn't wait too long into the fall his chances are better than average with a little work and patience. I personally wouldn't waste time packing in a blind, there are plenty of natural depressions and ambush points all up and down the road. Best place by far for suprise is along the spur dikes that go from the road to the Sag river. Depending on how far away from the road the Sag winds, these spur dikes can be several thousand feet to almost a mile long with a good crown to hid a hunter crouching in the brush on the off side. I worked baseline at PS1 for almost 2 years and have worked projects between PS1 and PS4 for about 10 years and I know first hand the amount of dry gully's and depressions that exist that aren't noticed from driving the road. Caribou arent like deer, they have no set trails or schedules. The chances of getting ahead of a herd and setting up a blind without getting noticed, and then having a caribou decide to walk a certain direction is slim to none.

Thanks for the info. guys. Sounds like there are alot of opinions out there. I may take it along and see if it comes in handy or if it is more trouble than it is worth. I will let you guys know how it turns out.