Thread: Kasilof sockeye

Question Kasilof sockeye

I see in the Clarion that the sockeye count on the 21st in the Kasilof was over 5,400 fish. I am new to the state and living in Sterling and was thinking about heading down there to wet my line. I have fished People's hole for kings, but not yet fished reds. I know I won't get specifics, but any general recommendations for locations I should try? Near the mouth? Upstream/downstream of the bridge? Can I go upstream of the bridge a ways, or is there issues with private property? I know there are probably many unwritten rules about river access and fishing, but being new here I don't know any of them, so any advice regarding "exploring" the rivers would be appreciated.

Secondly, does anyone know if there are reds in the Moose River and if it is worth trying for them? I know other places are better, but the Moose is walking distance for me, that is why I am wondering.

Thanks!
    Jeff

You can fish the mouth of the Moose River where it flows into the Kenai but you won't be alone.

How about upstream on the Moose towards the Refuge? Do the reds run up there?

I know that Bing's is a popular place to fish for reds. But that really doesn't get going until the main Kenai run gets going.

Default kasilof sockeye

From my limited Kasilof experience I can tell you a couple of things:

a) 5000+ fish per day is okay sockeye fishing on the Kasilof. Whereas on the Kenai I kind of consider 20,000+ fish a fishable day. The Kasilof is smaller than the Kenai, so I've found 5K+ to be in the ballpark. Although, even at that number the fishing seems to be more difficult than the Kenai. Just my impression...

b) Being that the Kasilof is "relatively" uncrowded for sockeye in comparison to the Kenai, you are right in that you won't get many folks to divulge favorite spots on this river. There aren't that many to go around.

c) The way I found my sockeye spot on the Kasilof was to visit the various stretches of the river in May and June when the water level is substantially lower and walk the areas, noting where the snag-free gravel banks are, noting how things will be when the water is up to its normal height. A recon of the river when the water is low can put your mind to ease about stepping off into the water later in the year when you can't see the bottom...And it will help you note where good holding water will probably be.

d) Due to it's smaller size, the Kasilof seems to be really hit or miss depending on the commercial fleet openings. The comm guys can really shut down sport fishing there when they are out doing their thing.This is true to a lesser extent on the Kenai, where 20-30k of fish might still get through on a comm-fish day and sport fishing still might be productive. So, do your research regarding comm-fish days. Call the sonar/info number and also check for emergency comm-fish openings in order to plan your timing for maximum success. I believe that number is 907-262-9611. Somebody can correct that if it's wrong.

Good luck. Maybe I'll see you around the Kas now that I live there!

Sockeye Pete