Thread: Question hornady custom grade dies

Default Question hornady custom grade dies

It might just be that all I have owned since 1979 is RCBS but I couldn't find any 375 H&H dies without ordering on line, so I decided to just buy HORNADY CUSTOM GRADE DIES 2 die set Full Length.

Here is the question or maybe my lack of confidence in another company. I find it strange that Hornady's instructions for the resizing
    1. die says to raise the press ram to the highest position without camming over.
    2. thread the full length die into the press until the base touches the shell holder head.
    3. tighten the lock ring against the press and tighten the set screw with the allen wrench.

Now here is where I get confused. note the difference in RCBS step 3 verses Hornady step 2

RCBS says to:
    1. run the ram to the top of the reloading press stroke with the proper shell holder installed.
    2. screw the resizing die into the press until it stops against the elevated shell holder.
    3. all play must be removed from the system. To do this, lower the ram and turn the die 1/8 to 1/4 turn farther into the press. Check the adjustment by returning the shell holder to the top of its stroke--you should feel the press cam over center. Now set the large lock ring and your die is adjusted to properly full length resize cases.

Anyone know WHY the big difference?

I have two sets of the Hornady dies and several of the RCBS dies. Both have worked good for me. I would follow the directions that come with the brand I was using.

Here's the right answer IMO- both instructions are wrong--

Take a fired case, measure with calipers to a datum point on the shoulder (use an adaptor for your calipers like the Hornady or Sinclair bushing).
    This measurement should be from the base, to a reference point somewhere on the shoulder.
    Write that number down.

Now adjust your sizing die down to where your shoulder is bumped down .001-.002" from the fired case measurement (for bolt rifles- .002-.003 for semi-auto).

This ensures that your shoulder is bumped down short enough for reliable feeding, but not excessively working the brass.

Here's a link to the comparator set:

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/479...ith-comparator

You don't necessarily need this ready made set, several things in the workshop can be made to rest in a mid-point on the shoulder as long as it gives consistent results.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Default Question hornady custom grade dies

I forgot to answer the original question- here's the why-

Manufacturers have differing thicknesses of shell holders. In their instructions, they assume you are using theirs.

Also, they design their shell holders and dies with differing opinions on smashing carbide steel dies into carbon steel shell holders.

IMO, both methods size the brass too far down.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks guys. I really dislike the Hornady dies so they are gone. Sending for RCBS. Been using RCBS since I started reloading in 1979 never had the frustration I've experienced with these dies.

Quote Originally Posted by sisusuomi View Post
    Anyone know WHY the big difference?
    I don't see a big difference. Both companies are achieving more or less the same adjustment by slightly different approaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    I forgot to answer the original question- here's the why-

Manufacturers have differing thicknesses of shell holders. In their instructions, they assume you are using theirs.

Also, they design their shell holders and dies with differing opinions on smashing carbide steel dies into carbon steel shell holders.

IMO, both methods size the brass too far down.
    Agreed.

I almost never full length size anything anyway, but that aside, I'm not a fan of ever adjusting my dies so my press cams over under pressure. By my way of thinking, that's tool abuse. I think a press that "cams over", i.e. the design of which allows travel beyond TDC, equates to sloppy engineering anyway. But that's an entirely different conversation.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It don't matter much how you do it, as long as the sized case fits your chamber well enough.

Touching the shellholder is fine. "Cam-Over", whatever that is, is spose to help if you're having trouble getting the case sized enough. ??

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have several different brands of dies and they all work fine. I don't cam over any die. If you have to do that to get a round to chamber I would rather take a bit off the top of the shell holder. It does the same thing without being hard on your press, the dies and the shell holder. Camming over puts tremendous pressures on everything.

got rid of the Hornaday dies bought the RCBS like I always have been using and they work just fine.