Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LYNX Education Thread.......Let's learn about LYNX

Default LYNX Education Thread.......Let's learn about LYNX

Please post everything you know "For Sure" (Not Jo'bob's friend's sister said) about LYNX in Alaska or Canada. How heavy do they get.....??? What is the "Widest" foot print or pad measurement.......???

Just anything you are fairly sure about, relative to Lynx.

I have read two accounts of Lynx stalking and killing Dall Sheep. One account is in Charles Sheldon's "WILDERNESS of DENALI".

Post photos if you have them, Please.

Lynx meat is tasty. That I know for sure. Also, they're really, really cool to watch when coming in to a predator call or simply slinking across a trail.

Came on a group of 3 lynx kits on the Kwethluk this past season, 2 sat on a small spit of beach watching a group of ducks in a side slough. The third would wait until the ducks came in close and then shoot out into the water and swim after them, as the ducks chortled and simply swam out of reach. Went on for quite sometime. Never saw the adults, but the tracks in the sand showed they where nearby....

Had one sit across from camp on the Goodnews 2 years back, on a small knoll and just watch us for a good 20 minutes, healthy looking animal.

Used to see them infrequently when hiking in the mountains around Cooper Landing.

Had one that lived near the house here, would see its tracks in the winter and occasionally caught a glimpse of it as it slid through the edge of the wood line. After the new road came in, and new houses got built, it predictably vanished.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Yes, every time I watch them, or more accurately, every time I first see one, my first impression is always how tall they are, and how much space is between their belly and the ground. They are an awesome animal. More ghost like than animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Lynx meat is tasty. That I know for sure. Also, they're really, really cool to watch when coming in to a predator call or simply slinking across a trail.

I did have one walk across my driveway in Soldotna 3 years ago. A new skiff of snow and "what the heck " I consulted my book of tracks

They will come up and sniff your boot if it's after season and you are calling coyotes.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

The heaviest Lynx i have caught was 30 pounds.

If you see tracks walking in fairly deep snow and you're not sure what type of tracks they are look at their walking behavior... it'll remind you of your house cat. Slinking in and out of cover...
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I've seen quite a few lynx through the years up here. The one thing that always amazes me about these critters is how they always seems to have no fear or shyness when they are around me. They will always take their time and just sit there and watch me with no care in the world. Saw a fresh set of lynx tracks this weekend on the peninsula.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Have lived in Alaska 47 years and been in the woods a good part of that time. Have never seen a lynx. I live on the hillside in Anchorage and came home at lunch on Tuesday and found two Lynx standing in my driveway. Who says Anchorage isn't part of Alaska?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

100% agree with what Brian said. My wife told me if I ever get lucky enough to bag another one we are keeping ALL the meat next time. Lynx stir fry is the best!!!

A big lynx is 40 pounds. Big old males. Lynx are rabbit, bird eaters. Hard to believe they could get the idea to grab a sheep.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I keep hearing of 30+ lb lynx but have yet to see a photo of one.

Anyone a member of SCI? If so, perhaps you could access the database and let us know what the world record size is? I was able to find a photo online but I'm not sure if it's legit..
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

From what I know they're quite rare. I'd love to see one in person.. very fascinating animals.

When the Lynx were around a few years ago, I caught 26, 28, 30 and 32 pounders.

The biggest lynx I have caught over the years weighed 36.7#s. He is a rug on my wall now and I will try to remember to take a picture this weekend. I have caught a 29# and 31# just this year. Cats are very mellow and docile by nature and can be actually trained. I know of a trapper that used to have one that would just lay on the deck of his cabin. They populate in cycles, usually following the rabbit or "hare" cycles. Very cool critter..

This was the 29# caught a month ago

This was a big one from last year

What is the difference between a Bobcat and a Lynx........????

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by srtarrow View Post
    From what I know they're quite rare. I'd love to see one in person.. very fascinating animals.
    They're really not all that rare, and when they're at the high point of their population cycle they can be quite common (given good habitat and food sources). They're elusive - not commonly seen - but they're there more frequently than you'd think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast