Thread: smallest jet?

Default smallest jet?

So what would be the smallest jet out bourd required to get a 14 aluminum boat up the susitna river? I have access to what I think is a semi v aluminum boat and if I can get a motor for it I would like to try taking it out on the susitna or little su.I would like to be able to take 4 people with fishing gear.

You need to be realistic with the weight of everything you'll be pushing, ie boat, fuel, engine, crew, gear, misc. With 4 people on board, I'd be hard pressed to see you being under 1500 pounds, and am thinking more like 2000 pounds. Given a jet is about 70% efficient, you'd want a max of 25# per hp, so that comes out to an 80 horse powerhead, and better yet to round up to 90 horse. The absolute minimum I'd want for that use would be a 70 horse, and you'll have to be running it wot all the time which puts alot of wear and tear and sucks gas. Running a 90 horse at 4000 rpm will be more fuel efficient than a 70 @ 6000 rpm.

4 people and fishing gear in a 14 foot boat? That is a pretty tiny boat for what you want to do with it. What motor is the boat rated for? I doubt it's rated for a 70hp jet. I would find out if the boat will work before trying to find a motor.

-Eric

How would I find out what it's rated for? So this boat may be too small for 4 people?
    The boat is not very heavy. 2 people can lift it witout too much difficulty. I would think barring realy big people I could easily stay under 1500 lbs for a day trip.
    is 25 lb per HP a standard number?
    So if I say the boat can only take 2 people I bet I could easily stay under 1200 lbs. so that would come out at around 50hp?

Take a look at this http://www.akmining.com/boat/losn14.htm It shows that a 14' boat has a 25hp rating and a max weight of 925lbs with a max person weight at 660lbs. I'd say your a long ways from where you want to be. I looked at some other 14' boats and they only allowed 765lbs top. There should be a small placard on the transom of your boat that states its capacities but I'd be willing to bet that you will be disappointed.

With a rating of 660lbs for people, each would have to weight no more than 165lbs. At that point you still don't have any remaining weight allowance for fuel, gear, anchor, oars, etc. etc.

Default All in how you run.

I don't have a jet... but I did stay at a Holiday in Express last night.

No, seriously, I have seen lots of native guys in Dillingham slap a 40hp Yamaha with a jet on the back of a loaded 18' Lund and go up the very swift Agulawok, and Agulapak Rivers.

These guys will then take off their jet motor and put on a prop motor when they get to a lake so as to go faster and save gas. It seems that the secret is to load the boat right.

Most people today overpower. Guys used to go all over Cook inlet in big heavy dories powered by 25-40 hp motors. But that was was in the day when boats were wood and men were iron. Today the answer for everything is $ and horsepower. Many rivers have been run over the decades with low power outboards and a jackass lift ( and some patience and skill).

Everthing today is about time. Most families today require both parents hold down full time jobs. Yeah yeah I can hear it already that that's just because everyone wants more, whatever! Back in the day guys that were running low HP motors were in old fashioned boats and that's what they had. With technology everything changes, with advances in society we have less time, less time means get there in a reasonable amount of time or don't go. That means that in your opinion people overpower boats? I sure wish I had the time to live an urban lifestyle and yet put put around all the time but you can't have everything right?

Default Relax Bighorn

Sounds like the guy isn't in a rush. Sounds like he just wants to get out and enjoy his 14 footer at a reasonable cash outlay. Don't discourage him. It can and has been done for decades.

As for you getting there as fast as possible, catching, killing and getting home... well to each his own. Just don't run over the guy who wants to enjoy Alaska at a more leisurely pace.

LOL, you sure took alot out of context. Poor advice won't do him any favors nor will overloading a small boat on an unforgiving river. Take what you like from that

Default 14ft.

I used to have a 14 with a 40 merc. with jet, Great two people boat ok with 3, 4 was just to much!! I also have the boat i grew up with sem-v 14 Has old 25hp on it same thing 4 just goes, over the top, Depends how big these people are, what else you have Like someone else said here back of boat there,s a plate States, what it could hold. If goofing off in a lake is one thing But you go out in the big Su, over loaded, Your asking for it.... Mother nature has no for giveness For stupidy.....Any boat 2 can pick up to load prob... just not big enough, for 4 Look if going to Deshka, just make two trips, Than when you get there out of main river load them up to fish, Than two trips back !! There always a way but be safe out there Just my 2 cents worth

Among other boats, I have a 16' skiff that i run with a 25hp merc prop. With two people, a dog, and gas I can get it up to 27 mph. This boat is set up for a jet, and I would have no problem with throwing a 50hp motor on. But I wouldn't want much more weight than that.

With my 25 prop I've gotten on step with 4 guys and a small moose, and I was pushing my comfort zone for what the boat can handle. I have yet to see any kind of 14' skiff that can come close to that. Last year a buddy and I loaded a mini-z, with us, into his 14' flat bottom skiff, and I thought we were gonna sink.

I spend a lot of time in boats(every day), and I don't think I would do what you're talking about doing. Of course I haven't seen the boat or anything, but based on what you've said, it doesn't sound like you have much experience on the water. Talk to people who know what they're doing, and rethink your plan.

-Eric

Ok so I think I may be over estimating the load the boat can take.

I have a little experience with boats, but I was planning on going out with some one much more experienced then me and taking it easy at first and learning how to handle things. I was never intending to just go blindly.

I just did not know what would be needed for this river. I know I have seen larger boats then this running 40 hp motors. I got the idea to use this boat from some one I saw in fairbank running a very simillar boat on some of those rivers and was wondering what it would take to run a simmilar set up.

I haven't found a placard but if it will require some thing more then about 30 hp I doubt the boat will take it.

I guess Ill just put my 3.5 on it and cruse some lakes.

Do you live in Fairbanks? If so I would go out on a boat ride or two with you. I do have a friend that runs his 14' skiff with a 15hp prop out on the tanana, so it can be done.

I was also rethinking my story about the snowmachine in the boat, and that may have been done with a 12 footer, not 14. I still stick to my theory about 14' being small though.

-Eric

Sorry this is supposed to be lab man, not Ak river rat.

I run a 14ft lowe with a evenrude 25/18 jet I have had from one person my self to 4 people on it running the little su, 20 mile and placer, with just my self it works excellent, another person does alright and with 4 people and our fishing gear, it plows though the water but it gets me from point A to Point B it will just take awhile

Sorry I live in anchorage. I saw the small boat while going to school.
    Thanks for the help.