Thread: Economic downturn preparation techniques?

Default Economic downturn preparation techniques?

As a sort of off-shoot from agl4now's thread, I was wondering what people could do, or are doing, to be better prepared for an economic downturn?

A couple examples:
    -get rid of any debt you can
    -try to curb unnecessary personal spending (lattes, bottled water, comfort foods)

I thought it would be good for all to hear the many different ideas! Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

All of the above, and I have been planning for twenty years to loose my job one day. Have an account to cover a year of living and maybe more.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Always have an emergency fund as was mentioned above and be frugal. I never know year to year how much work we will get. No work right now.

In addition to get rid of debt and minimizing your economic footprint (how much money you need to live month to month):

- Take care of health issues while you are insured, specially any problems with your teeth.
    - 3~6 months cash reserves in case you have to weather out a long period of unemployment. If you don't know how to save money at all, start there.
    - Having the right skills can make you recession proof; develop new marketable skills, gather the tools you need to perform them.
    - Develop healthy relations with close friends and family; there should be a reciprocity in taking care of one another. If somebody leans too much and tries to take advantage of you, well that wasn't a healthy relationship.

Default Economic downturn preparation techniques?

Make sure your stalked up with plenty of firearms and ammo, rice and beans, a couple freezers full of moose, deer, and salmon. Also, don't forget to throw a few flyrod's and some fuel for the generator into the mix..... Oh, wait a second, you said economic downturn. Yeah, what I just said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alaska would be very expensive state to live in during an economic downturn if you were wanting to live off wild game. On the road system at least, you're talking a 200-500 mile trip for caribou. Deer hunting also requires travel and a large boat, and moose will be sought after by everyone (and you can bet poaching will be a big problem). Raising chickens and rabbits is probably a better idea if you can afford to keep them warm and fed. If I was hoping to live off the land I would choose Southeast Alaska away from a town. There will always be deer and fish/shellfish.

A good garden in the summer and put away much of what you grow.