Thread: Mercury Sport Jet Tunnel Dimensions

Default Mercury Sport Jet Tunnel Dimensions

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have been poking around and there seems to be a good deal of knowledge here on jet boat building.

I have a little project of my own and was hoping someone can help. I'm working on building a Mercury sport jet (240hp) powered aluminum boat and have had trouble finding all the necessary dimensions for the tunnel. The service manual has installation directions which include the tunnel cut out dimensions and the ride plate dimensions, but I haven't been able to find the remaining dimensions for the ride plate relative to the hull cutout. They don't seem to be parallel and the distance between is critical for locating the intake relative to the hull and also for sealing the gasket. Does anyone have these dimensions handy? A drawing or CAD file would be even better.

I have a donor motor which I could try and reverse engineer, but a drawing would reduce the possibility for error. It seems like this info should be available somewhere, but I've come up dry.

Thanks in advance!

Grab a tape measure and go find a Phantom SJ, JC Extreme Shallow, or a Wooldridge XL with a sport jet in it and physically measure the tunnel.
    They're not as deep, long, or wide as some would seem.
    They all work great, but IMHO, Wooldridge has all but mastered their tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    Grab a tape measure and go find a Phantom SJ, JC Extreme Shallow, or a Wooldridge XL with a sport jet in it and physically measure the tunnel.
    They're not as deep, long, or wide as some would seem.
    They all work great, but IMHO, Wooldridge has all but mastered their tunnel.
    That would require removing the pump...and then I'd still be measuring a non parallel surface with a tape measure. There's gotta be a better way.

I reread your post. I thought you were wanting the "tunnel dimensions". Oops...
    Isn't SeaArk down in your neck of the woods? Their Predator boat has a Merc SJ in it. They may be able to help....

I have a hewescraft with the motor and pump out, its a 175 sport jet. Idk if its the same size or what not. It hit a rock and ruined the jet unit and the engine block. and totalled the tunnel, but I've been working on it here and there.

Talk to some of the sportjon builders,it is likely someone will sell you a tunnel