Thread: need HS-6 identification

Default need HS-6 identification

Hi Folks. Last weekend, I bought a new bottle of HS-6 in the Valley. I loaded 8 each .45 LSWC with six powders to see what I liked with the new supply of Hornady bullets. The HS-6 was the second to the last to try with 8.3 grains. Under the Lee, andHodgdon max and WELL under the Lynman max.
    Before my chrony stopped working in the cold, all tests were around the targeted 800 ish FPS. Chrony stopped before the HS-6. The HS-6 was much louder and the recoil was uncomfortable. A friend witnessed all this. It was (compared to the other powders) like a mild .38 or 9mm round to a 454 Casull or 50 AE. I stopped shooting it after 6 rounds and examined the brass. The brass unlike all other powders had a dent in the side (no splits or bulged primers) however, the primer had small gouges in all 6 as all had dents in side of case. Inspection of my new 1911 was all good.
    I went home and opened the unshot two HS-6 rounds and the charges were 8.296 vs 8.3 . I rechecked all load data and saw 7.2 to 9.5 grains of HS-6 for .45 200 gr LSWC. What could have caused this? COL = 1.225
    I called Hodgdon and went over all, they asked for pics. Now they emailed that it looked like powders mixed to them and told me not to use it and a technician would contact me. They said the lot was tested. I only allow one can of powder on my bench at a time and had just purchased and opened it. Rule out a contaminated powder charger because first using HS-6 I hand weighed every charge with an electronic and beam scales. I looked in all charged cases with a light and then used a Powder Cop. I did not crimp. looking at the pics, I see gray round flakes, small shiny black flakes(like 296) and blue flakes. If you use HS-6, please take a look for me. I don't think the store would have allowed a refund on powder???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2077.JPG.jpg   IMG_2075.JPG.jpg  

This does look like a mix of powders. What are you using to dispense powder to your scale? What other powders were you using? Is it possible you didn't get all the last batch of powder completely cleared from your power thrower/electronic dispenser. I'm just guessing here as I have no idea of your loading procedure. I'll check my HS-6 when I get home but IIRC it's a typical Hodgdon/Winchester ball powder. My memory isn't as good as it once was so I will check.

Thanks. Me mixing the powder was not an option. Using a new powder for just 8 rounds, I dip from can with Lee dipper, finish with a trickler, put on calibrated beam scale and then electronic scale. Additionally, I knocked the trickler over with only a couple spoons of powder in it so there was none to pour back into the new can that I had just purchased and opened. I'm not sure how Hodgdon could say it looked like mixed powder just from iphone pics.

It's hard to get too much hs6 in a 45acp case as it's burn rate is slow for the 45. So I have no explaination for seemingly hot loads. unless there was a mixup of powders. Your loading procedure would make that difficult. I suppose it's possible that the powder was switched before you got to it but it seems unlikely. I do have some hs 6 if you want to compare pm if you are near Chugiak.

I am not from there so buying it in the Valley doesn't tell me where you got it. 1st picture for sure looks like mixed powder. If you bought from a retailer and the can was sealed then it had to come from the factory that way. If you bought it from Joe Blow in the Valley anything could be possible. Picture 1 looks like what I sweep up off the floor after Big Butch has been allowed to reload in my room and use my stuff.

The dent in the case puzzles me. About the only place a case can dent is in the side and that indicates to me something foreign in the chamber, however it seems odd that it would be there for 6 rounds of HS-6 and then be gone when inspected.

Anybody got any HS-6 they can pour out and look at? I am curious enough that I may have to go buy a bottle of HS-6 if I can find any!

I have some Win 540 which is supposed to be the same as HS 6 and it does look very similar to your pictures. It looks like flattened balls when looking at separate bits but looks more like bigger discs when piled up. I don't understand that. Mine has no blue to it at all. I would say what you have is HS6.
    The blue is weird. Have you checked it under a different light? 8.3 grs of HS6 should give about 880fps which would be noticeable from an 800 fps load but not violently different. The dented cases is probably caused by a different slide speed causing the case to hit sideways on the ejection port. Marked primers sounds like higher pressure but that's not likely with that load. Just curious but what were your other loads and powder types. My Speer manual shows a 9.5gr load of HS6 using a jacketed 200gr swc at 956 fps so your load should be plenty safe. ?????? I don't know what you have happening.

rbuck351: excellent description you give. Yes, funny they look smaller around the edge of the pile then bigger disks when piled up. When we took the white paper with the pile of powder outside the blue flakes were gone....good call on the light situation. Hodgdon first questioned this from pics. I'm still going to send them some to test because the recoil was severe. Additionally, I spoke with Hornady as to why they did not publish HS-6 load for the 200 grain LSWC and other bullets in the latest manual. He laughed and said their lack of data for many powders was very simple "we buy our powders off the shelf, just like everyone else, and when we make a new manual or have new bullets we test them with whatever powders we can get our hands on, like you we were having a difficult time getting powders". However, he said the Hodgdon website data if fine for my load.

I just loaded some HS6 tonight, and both your pictures look just right for it. It does look like two powders mixed, with small dull grains and larger shiney ones mixed. My only thought is that without a crimp, maybe your bullets got seated deeply into the case, raising pressures.