Thread: Game Unit 13 Subsistence Caribou

Default Game Unit 13 Subsistence Caribou

Any status on the herd? I was thinking about taking the snowmachine from the richardson side and running the denali hwy a bit

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead-(2015-2016)

Check out this link about the unit 13 caribou. It's pretty dismal so far this winter. Hopefully they will come back early this year so we can go down in March prior to the close of season.

Check in with the crew at Alpine Creek lodge, they could have the best current information.

Thanks Steve. Im on standby s when they come im ready.

Seen a few around, but really thin. A couple were East of the lodge last week, but no sign since. They usually show up around Canyon Creek in February, but who knows this year. When we start seeing them, we'll let you know. Went East to Maclaren River a couple of days ago, and no moose or caribou tracks that way. The snow is deep up here this winter, so they moved out early.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Checked out paxon area yesterday. Lots of very fresh sign, less than 2 days old, but nothing standing in them. There were way too many tracks and too small for it to be moose. A friend said he saw 4 the other day in his hunting area but did not act. I spent about 4 hours on the glass yesterday and didnt see anything but moose.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I rode in from the Cantwell side on snowmachines glassing every hillside and open area. Put 80 miles on the machines, but didn't see any bou. Lots of moose. Usually see tracks, but seem to be very few that stuck around this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    I rode in from the Cantwell side on snowmachines glassing every hillside and open area. Put 80 miles on the machines, but didn't see any bou. Lots of moose. Usually see tracks, but seem to be very few that stuck around this winter.
    Im not familiar with that side but it seems that the animals that did hang around are lower than usual. Im guessing the below average snowfall has kept them down where the food is easy to get. But I havent been following this heard for as long as a lot of people so I'm just speculating here.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Thanks for the update Irish. I think we are going to head up to Cantwell this weekend and give it a shot. Had some luck last year at this time but it may have been just that.

How was the snow on the Denali highway? Enough to keep the machines cool? I have a '97 SKS 700 and even with scratchers it's not too fond of packed snow.

Snow is packed pretty hard on the trail. Picked up maybe an inch today. Probably not enough to keep a finicky machine cool. You can jump off anywhere you want and find deep snow, so you'll have to plan on that. Good luck!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com