Thread: people crouding you out

Default people crouding you out

I hate it when people for some reason feel they have to fish right next to you. I was fishing last night with my girl freind and we found a nice empty place and started fishing. before we kew it there was 11 people in the little area that we were fishing. The entire side of the river was empty and there were fish jumping all over not just where we were. But for some reason they felt they had to fish right there. I am continually amazed at how rude people can be.

Let me guess.. Deshka?

no it was at the eclutna trail races. I understand it can get kina combat ish but this time the only reason it was that way is because the people were all wanting to fish the same spot and I am not sure why there were fish every where.

Thats why I quit fishing for salmon 15 years ago!Sure was nice to fish for salmon in the early 80's when only the best 4x4( or your boots)would get to the fishing holes.

There are still salmon spots in SC where you can fish by yourself all day long, and that is why I am so reluctant to divulge secret holes hand over fist. These spots now a days are a rarity! I have worked hard for some of these spots I have found and have taken only good buddies to fish these waters. Of course if you plan to fish an area with a packed parking lot there will be people to crowd you, that's the nature of the beast. That is not my cup of tea. I've said it before and I will say it again, I'd rather fish by myself and catch nothing than combat fish with btards all day long and limit out.

I stopped fishing Ship Creek awhile back, and I do not fish the tailrace unless I am in a boat downstream. Crowds are not my deal. People are rude, inconsiderate and they light a fire under my rear. I completely avoid the Russian and Kenai rivers. The meat fishing crowds are not worth it to me.

Amen Water Gremlin, I for one did not move to Alaska to suffer fishing conditions far worse than the any water shed in theLower 48. I think people try to crowd you out in hopes that you move. I have had them cross my line , over and over and over. It got old 10 years ago. Now days it just Pi(^es me off. I had a great day on Finger lake today. No crowds, no fights at the launch and did not fish with the stench of urine and toilet paper all over the place. wow ,, I needed to get that off my chest, feel better now..

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    I hate it when people for some reason feel they have to fish right next to you. I was fishing last night with my girl freind and we found a nice empty place and started fishing. before we kew it there was 11 people in the little area that we were fishing. The entire side of the river was empty and there were fish jumping all over not just where we were. But for some reason they felt they had to fish right there. I am continually amazed at how rude people can be.
    Try slapping sportfish guide stickers on the side of your boat! I can't be alone on the water unless I'm at least 100 miles from Juneau... even then, the lodge boats in Angoon and Petersburg just LOVE to jump on my drags. Actually, the worst happened to me yesterday... I was setting my anchor, and before I could hit bottom, some local out of Hoonah or Gusdavis pulls up in an unregistered boat and seriously would have rammed me had I not backed off the spot my anchor was falling over...

Oh well... live and let live, I suppose!
    -Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You have to dig deep into yourself and find better waters.

Sometimes a shotgun or sidearm will keep others off of you, but sometimes it seems to attract them. Sometimes a dirty look will pay off, and other times you'll be dismissed.

I do not envy anyone trying to find fishable waters anywhere in Southcentral. You have a huge population trying to share a limited amount of space.... we see that in Juneau too (believe it or not).

I used to camp/fish at Ptarmigan Creek back when bait was legal there. But, one year, a work party from Walmart came down there and ruined it for all time as far as I was concerned. They drug in pallets, turned on their boom boxes, and lit a big fire (with those pallets) throwing sparks up into the trees inspite of the fact that the area was in severe drought.

I walked upstream to a crossing, and then back down to their "camp" where I offered to shoot their "music" box if they didn't turn it down.

I'm sure they were within their rights. I'm sure that I was wrong. But, I'd do it again in the same circumstances.

If they had been there before me, I'd have never stopped. But I was there first and for whatever reason, that mattered.

I've never returned to that spot. It is ruined for me by them, and by the regs.

CanCan, I won't appraoch your boat

You like pinks and chum. I'll pass on your "secret" spots.

Default Amen

I fished the little Su for years before I started guiding there. That Green Sticker has turned me into a nut attractor. I fish a hole, back trolling and guys anchor above and below me like I am not there. I never had that problem before, but I was not as likely to let it go either.
    I also have a few secret spots that I never take anyone to, if you want to fish in seclusion do not share these spots with anyone. Everyone knows about Eklutna, Ship Creek, Willow Creek etc. The days of combat and non combat fishing streams are almost gone, soon they will all be combat fishing. Who knows, we may have drawing permit only areas for kings someday .

Default They will come...

It's inevitable. Persons will migrate just like the fish, and they will continue to follow the spawn. The best that can be done is to at least try to educate them to the rights and wrongs when and if they bump into you.

I hear your tales and I understand your laments as best I can for someone who is not the local boy.

The cheechako will never go away. Secret spots are deservedly yours, but things do change and before you know it, there they are.

I remember being on board a flight to Kodiak that was overloaded and the pilot announced that some bags would have to be removed to achieve weight limitations for safety. When a first-timer publicly decried it was not acceptable the locals laughed him silly and he sunk into his seat out of his newly discovered embarrassment. He was a quick learner, right then and there.

It's a tough one...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Patience and time

I have always said if your going combat fishing be patient and have plenty of time. I usually combat fish 2 or 3 times a year. Knowing what I am walking into I get mentally prepared. I fished the Kenai/Russian confluence last weekend. Strolled down about 100 yards above the mouth. I stood high up on the banks and watched the people. After about 15 minutes if watching 2 gentlemen I realized they had been there before. I walked down and sat behind them and watched. When one broke his line he offered me his spot. I siad thanks and told him he could have it right back when he was ready. Before you know it the 3 of us had a nice rotation going. About every 15 minutes one of us was ready for a break. We caught fish, chatted on a beautiful morning, and I made 2 new friends on the river. Give yourself time, be respectful, smile and say hi and engage in small chat. I usually have had great times fishing with those thoughts. I know there are some real "treats" on the river. I just try to avoid them or make the best of a situtation.
    Just my lost thoughts
    Chuck
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

It even happens down at Hope for Pinks. I took my duaghter sown wehn she was younger and we had an area to ourselves. Pretty soon a group stopped and started fishing down fromus, no problem, but then they started spreading out, taking little steps sideways closer to us and pretty soon, they were standing right where we were fishing. It was pretty bad. I don't fish Montana or Ship anymore because of similar things.

Default Casting

I usually sidearm cast. People usually don't crowd you when you cast sidearm.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default True Dave

I have seen the same problem at hope, I can get a little crazy with my flyrod whipping it back and forth. Especially if the fish throws the hook and it goes winging back and I yank it forward. I do get a little more space when this happens
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default what crowds?

The first trip to Alaska found me at the Kenai Russian confluence...spent about fifteen minutes there with my grandsons before one of them had a hook embedded in his scalp placed there by some inconsiderate that had decided the only place he could fish was the five feet that separated my grandson and myself. I told the boys that we had not come six thousand miles for that and the next day we went to plan B. Plan B was to drive the Skilak Rd. to a trail head that required a bit of a hike to the river. A pleasant hike and guess what, we had the whole river to ourselves with the exception of an occasional raft that floated by. We caught plenty of fish too! Went to Eklutna once, the parking lot was the first cue...not for us...instead of fishing in a ditch we headed for a beautiful little lake not too terribly far away and had the whole lake to ourselves, played catch and release with rainbows and grayling on dry flys all day, couldn't have been better! Headed up the Parks Highway, first stop Little Su...nobody there...just us and the fish...second stop Willow confluence with the Susitna, didn't get the rods out too many people too much trash..on to Montana, pretty much the same as Willow...drove to (secret spot) nobody there, son caught all five species of Pacific Salmon that day and boys caught pinks, chums and silvers...oh forgot to mention we had a short hike to get there, less than half a mile. last year did a road accessible float trip and didn't see one sole just bears, moose and wolves for nearly five days and the fishing was superb even by Alaskan standards. Makes me wonder what I could find if I lived there. Alaskan definition of a crowd: two people within sight of each other. I love it! ...think outside the box, do some homework, explore a little, stay away from the obvious people attractors and don't be afraid to walk a little! Solitude is available, just not fifty feet from your car.

Default friends

I've made some of my best friends standing near shoulder to shoulder with them on the river talking about this and that and going back to thier camp or mine and sitting around a campfire having a cold one. next thing you know I'm invited to go to S.C. to go whitetail hunting or Washington for elk. a couple of the folks even come back every year to hit up the salmon and stay at my place. good times. Sometimes a little education is in order on correct downstream to upstream casting procedures, but overall alot of good times.
    Of course i've never fished the likes of the kenai, but i do go to clear creek every year and there are always plenty of people packed in there to talk to and party with. It's all in fun.
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    CanCan, I won't appraoch your boat

You like pinks and chum. I'll pass on your "secret" spots.
    I like pinks and chum? Yeah... for BAIT... and now it's LEGAL! At least I'm not like "Pinky" on the blue/white boat with the dog... he hauls them in by the dozen and tries to convince clients how great they are on the grill.

About the only "secret spot" I've got left these days is a yelloweye hole in Stephens Passage...or is it in Icy Strait? Out on the coast, perhaps?

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Unhappy Crowding, etc.

Yeah, I just had one at Clear Creek, which I might add usually has pretty good people; even the first timers are usually willing to learn and with the boat services giving them some basic "dos and don'ts" their attitudes seem to be much better than your typical combat fishing newcomer. In my case a 10-12 year old boy, whose parents didn't care to supervise closely enough, kept casting across me to the point of where I told him he needed to back off. I'm sure that ruined his day, but tuff stuff. Then one guy above my wife insisted on casting quartering downstream with his Vibrax! He couldn't seem to pick up that he was doing the mirror opposite of all around him.

The cluelessness of people to not learn and be considerate is what's ruining fishing here (and society as a whole)-"it's all about me"!

I will note the experience related by Chuck above regarding the Russian/Kenai. I too have experienced this and what a pleasure to fish with folks who get it. Good grief, there's plenty of fish to go around without tripping over one another in the process!