Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've chosen an Area to fish on Prince Of Wales Island

I'm retired and live with my partner in a caravan. Fish all over Australia

Default I've chosen an Area to fish on Prince Of Wales Island

I have been working my butt off over the last week trying to determine where I might fish in Alaska. Good advice from alaskahippe pointed me in the direction of POW. He suggested I should try to hook up with locals in the area I've chosen. I've narrowed down the area to Thorne Bay, Klawok or Craig. I figure that if I can find somebody in any of these towns to discuss my plans, I can get started on putting my trip into place. I want to reside in one of the towns for 4/6 weeks and hire a vehicle and DIY fish the rivers and steams on foot. I expect that I can cover a large percentage of the island over the period. It would be great to have other fishermen with similar interests to fish with. Local knowledge sorts things out for newcomers quickly. I'll no doubt do a guided trip early in the piece to sort out techniques that I may need. If you are a POW resident I would love to hear from you.

I recommend Hollis Rental Adventures. Good price, easy going owner and the rig was perfect for driving the roads. I think you will find the island smaller than you think I could hit all of the main streams in the same day and some days I did hoping the water level would be good on at least one of them. I liked Craig as a town but they all have their own personalities. You should look at reserving one of the US Forest service cabins. They are very nice. Hope this helps.

Red, Thank you so much for the info. I've thought of doing what you said, but I'm not that big of a loner. I'm coming over for 4/6 weeks, and I want to stay in the one location and spend time in the community. Don't want cabin fever. Because the trip will last that long, I needn't fish hard every day. If I get 3 trips a week or 5 trips I'll be happy. I want to do things (Fishing ) with locals. You seem to have similar interests. I enjoy wading rivers or streams. I've met people from all over the world and thoroughly enjoy company without me becoming a pain in the arse. Apart from rentals, I'd like to put my dough in some retired couples pocket. Particularly if he's a local resident. The info on Hollis rentals is appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to give me some assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Ted View Post
    Red, Thank you so much for the info. I've thought of doing what you said, but I'm not that big of a loner. I'm coming over for 4/6 weeks, and I want to stay in the one location and spend time in the community. Don't want cabin fever. Because the trip will last that long, I needn't fish hard every day. If I get 3 trips a week or 5 trips I'll be happy. I want to do things (Fishing ) with locals. You seem to have similar interests. I enjoy wading rivers or streams. I've met people from all over the world and thoroughly enjoy company without me becoming a pain in the arse. Apart from rentals, I'd like to put my dough in some retired couples pocket. Particularly if he's a local resident. The info on Hollis rentals is appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to give me some assistance.
    Ted - in reference to your statement about "wading", be advised that felt soled boots are not permitted in AK. Not sure of the regs where you're from, but felt soles were banned a couple of years ago. Just a heads up.

Thanks Gary,
    I would have checked that in any case. I fished new Zealand for 21 months and they are banned there as well. They have the Dydimo there in streams, so the felt soles on waders is prohibited. As long as the water is bearable I like to wade with a pair of cleated waterproof boots.(water durable not waterproof) Waders only when the water is too cold. I stay out of the water if it's fast water, too bloody dangerous. I am a tropics fisherman normally so far no dydimo up here, seems to be a cool climate invader.

I've tried to get some contacts in Craig. Not much happening at the moment. I have recently sent an email to the library hoping a kind soul will know a retiree who loves his fishing and put me in touch. Craig has a big enough population to hold many retirees who love their fishing. Do any of you folk on the forum know of a suitable fisherman /woman on POW.

Ted ... Craig is not a retirement community ... actually that goes for most of Alaska.

You will have no problem filling days with fishing in different towns on the Island. Most have accommodations for the traveler. Fishing is good in or near each town. Don't rule out spending a few days in Ketchikan also. There is good fresh & salt water there also.

In a month or six weeks you will be able to fish most if not all the water on the Island. Even getting into some remote rarely fished places.

I suggest you order a map from the US Forest Service of the Island road system ... start getting familiar.

Google Earth is your friend.

Thank You again John,
    I thought that the size of the population at Craig, would naturally have a few retirees living there. I've sent emails to the Quilting group, the President of the Runners and Walkers Club, the Lions club, the Library asking for names of fishermen who have a similar interest. I'm sure there will be someone out there who I can connect with. I think your the man I need to spend a day with, perhaps two, checking out how I transfer my knowledge to the local scene. I know that the time I spend hasn't got to be rushed and as you say I'll have plenty of opportunities to see many of the Island rivers and streams. On a long summer's day I can certainly travel a fair distance to fish a new spot. I'm thinking of coming a couple of weeks earlier now and helping out with the Marathon if they need an extra pair of hands at Aid stations. I did volunteer work for the Motatapu triathlon in New Zealand. Thoroughly enjoyed that experience. If the Marathon volunteer work happens I'll come over for an extra couple of weeks. Any excuse to extend the stay. Regards Ted

Thanks Gary,
    I would have checked that in any case. I fished new Zealand for 21 months and they are banned there as well. They have the Dydimo there in streams, so the felt soles on waders is prohibited. As long as the water is bearable I like to wade with a pair of cleated waterproof boots.(water durable not waterproof) Waders only when the water is too cold. I stay out of the water if it's fast water, too bloody dangerous. I am a tropics fisherman normally so far no dydimo up here, seems to be a cool climate invader.
    you should just assume you will be in waders most of the time FYI, Water is much colder then New Zealand.

AKduks,
    I just am rapt with the size of the fish on your avatar, well done. Can't understand the physics behind melt water off calciers being colder in Alaska than they are in New Zealand, but there you go. Live and learn. But yeah, I reckon waders will be the go all of the time. But I'll get out of them to enjoy more freedom if I get the chance.

Aussie, I don't think its as much the water is colder but the air is colder! I've fished New Zealand ( Jan 2011 had a blast want to go back!) and never used waders. I've gone a few times in AK without waders ands its doable. the fish in my avatar are coho's I caught in the salt water trolling. Not sure when you are going but the coho are in the rivers late august through early October (I don't know run timing on POW) but they are a lot of fun to fish pretty aggressive and pretty good to eat.

Ted, yes, you'll be far more comfortable in waders than in anything else. POW is part of our Northern Rainforest, as 'Ducks stated, it's not necessarily the water temperature that will get you, it's the ambient air temps, coupled with a high probability of rain/mist/showers.

Good quality rain gear and appropriate (no cotton) layers are also imperative for a good, and safe trip. Don't let the term "Summer" lull you into a false sense of security, our weather can turn deadly in a matter of minutes, even at the height of Summer.

When not in waders, you are going to want a good pair of boots that have superior traction. Most of the areas you will be walking will be slippery, either mossy, muddy, slimy, rugged or a combination of all of those.

I hope you're getting some progress in your quest to find fishing companions on the Island.

Cheers.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I found one thing when fishing POW, if you are driving the road system and want to know where to fish, the next pull off near the river is the next hole you can fish. The Thorne Bay Forest service office has a map of the fishing holes, you have to ask for it, they will say they do not have one, but tell them it is the top drawer of the file cabinet right behind them, it is on an 11 by 17 piece of paper. But again it will just give you the names of the fishing holes, they are all at the turn outs on the road system. Have fun, the Klowock river has a great run of Coho, The Harris has steelhead, the Thorne river has steelhead. May, June for steelhead, August for Coho.

Thanks again AKducks. Yeah, ambient temp certainly makes life miserable if you get wind or breeze with it. I've always wanted to come to Alaska for the scenery as much as the fishing. I've now managed a contact in Thorne Bay, (Isaac) who is going to help out as much as he can to get me connected. I'm hoping to come to POW in the second last week of May and stay through to the end of July. Have offered to volunteer to man an aid station on the Marathon, when its run. With this length of DIY trip I can relax and not have any pressure to catch fish every trip. A trip 3/4 times a week will be great. The wet weather is one of the worries. I'm a tropic Rain forest man from Queensland. We get 20/30 feet of rain a year where I come from. It's warm though and no trouble to fish in provided there are no floods. The rivers in North Queensland where I lived are short so that they quickly subside after torrential rain.
    Want to hook up with as many locals or visitors as I can. Share cabins as well. If I'm lucky I might pick up a steelhead, but graphs of fish runs on the island show I've got a great chance of catching most species, except the steelheads.

Thanks Mike, Staying dry will be the secret. And if streams flooded, stay away from the water. I'll bring my steel studded hikers with me when I come. Although even they don't guarantee a good grip every step. I don't think I'll be wandering too far from the road Mike, a couple of hundred yards either side of the vehicle will have to suffice if I'm on my own. Its important that I fish with a buddy, if going away from my residence. I need to "Check out" and "Check In" otherwise. I'm quite used to doing that wherever I fish solo.
    I enjoyed the rain while fishing in the tropics, it's usually quite warm, nothing so uncomfortable if wet and cold like I expect in your neck of the woods.. I'll need to prepare well. I didn't read your post Mike until after I'd answered Ducks, Thanks to you I'm making progress with contacts on POW. I certainly appreciate all of the assistance I'm getting through the thread.
    While I fish on foot over here in the esturine rivers, I have the snakes and Crocs to contend with, but I'm wary of your bears. I'll need good advice about keeping my arse safe from them.

Get yourself a can of UDAP Bear spray. Studies show its more effective than a firearm (although many will debate that) as a non resident it will pretty much be your only option. Pay attention to your surroundings and you should be ok. The biggest thing is don't startle them. You cant fly with it should be easy to find there.

Thanks Mike, Staying dry will be the secret. And if streams flooded, stay away from the water. I'll bring my steel studded hikers with me when I come. Although even they don't guarantee a good grip every step. I don't think I'll be wandering too far from the road Mike, a couple of hundred yards either side of the vehicle will have to suffice if I'm on my own. Its important that I fish with a buddy, if going away from my residence. I need to "Check out" and "Check In" otherwise. I'm quite used to doing that wherever I fish solo.
    I enjoyed the rain while fishing in the tropics, it's usually quite warm, nothing so uncomfortable if wet and cold like I expect in your neck of the woods.. I'll need to prepare well. I didn't read your post Mike until after I'd answered Ducks, Thanks to you I'm making progress with contacts on POW. I certainly appreciate all of the assistance I'm getting through the thread.
    While I fish on foot over here in the esturine rivers, I have the snakes and Crocs to contend with, but I'm wary of your bears. I'll need good advice about keeping my arse safe from them.

Well, don't you just love it when a plan starts to come together. I've booked my flights To POW. I'll be in POW from 24th May until the end of July. Still looking to find some lure/spin fishermen to fish with while I'm there. I've made a few contacts on the Island. Have had a great Hire vehicle deal put together by Darren at Hollis Adventure Rentals. This aint a plug For Darren, but he's been great and helpful in giving me ideas about some aspects of my DIY trip and making contact with towns folk. I got a positive recommendation on Darren in a private message from Coffman Cove. I spent the best part of an hour on the phone with Darren. If all the emails I've sent produce a contact I'll have a great time, both fishing and socially. If any of you boys venture up to POW during the period I'd be delighted to hear from you. I'd like to hire a cabin as well at some point during the trip. Still trying to find private accommodation for some periods of my stay.

Now that the flights are booked, I need some help with my fishing style. I'm a spin fisherman as I stated previously, and love to walk the rivers and streams. While a dedicated "hard bodied" lure user for years I've now become a "Soft Plastic" jig user. I've found they work as effectively as the hard bodies and in some cases better. While a Rapala hard body will cost about $15 if you blow it, A Softy will only cost $1:00. So you can get in a lot closer to structure without the threat of losing it on the far side of fast water. Also use it to get to the bottom to "Walk the Dog", ifi t snags on rocks and you lose it, so be it, retie and head up stream.
    I still have my suite of hard body lures, and use them regularly in suitable water. The softies I've been using have been Berkely Gulp and Powerbaits, forked tailed minnows in the 3 to 4 inch range. (trying to match the fry of native species bait fish) Is anybody using similar jigs? Colour patterns to match local fish can be critical, although territorial/curiosity often traps a good fish. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Now that the flights are booked, I need some help with my fishing style. I'm a spin fisherman as I stated previously, and love to walk the rivers and streams. While a dedicated "hard bodied" lure user for years I've now become a "Soft Plastic" jig user. I've found they work as effectively as the hard bodies and in some cases better. While a Rapala hard body will cost about $15 if you blow it, A Softy will only cost $1:00. So you can get in a lot closer to structure without the threat of losing it on the far side of fast water. Also use it to get to the bottom to "Walk the Dog", ifi t snags on rocks and you lose it, so be it, retie and head up stream.
    I still have my suite of hard body lures, and use them regularly in suitable water. The softies I've been using have been Berkely Gulp and Powerbaits, forked tailed minnows in the 3 to 4 inch range. (trying to match the fry of native species bait fish) Is anybody using similar jigs? Colour patterns to match local fish can be critical, although territorial/curiosity often traps a good fish. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Small (1" - 1 1/2") soft body grubs or Mr Twisters can be used to imitate the out-going smolt in the spring. Basic white would be the color of choice.

I tie up 1/8 oz bunny and marabou jigs and have destroyed fish on them. Both cohos and steelies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast