Thread: Warm Hunting Shirt Ideas

Default Warm Hunting Shirt Ideas

I am in the market for a cold weather hunting shirt. I have looked at several brands and was wondering what you would recommend from practical experience.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Personally I don't think I even wear actual shirts for hunting. Depending on the temp I'll either throw on a light or a heavier base layer, as in polypro type (wicking) long johns, then start layering fleece type sweaters and/or jackets over that. Even in the early season when it's a lot warmer I'll usually just have a light poly next to my skin and then, if need be, either goretex rain gear or slickers over that.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

About 12 years ago I picked up a fleece shirt with windshear at Sam's Club. Wish I had bought 4 of them at the time; it cost $10.
    The other option of course is wool; still nothing wrong with a Woolrich shirt.

Cabelas windshear products are the best I've ever found nothing that I know of cuts the wind as well, Lightweight, ,very comfotable, extremely warm ,affordable and well made to last a long time.

There is nothing much better than a Pendleton wool shirt. I wear em all winter long

My personal favorite is called "Heavyweight Plaid Chambliss Shirt" by "Trail Crest". It is a synthetic polyester fleece in a "buffalo plaid" style similar to the old time woodsmans shirts but with the advantages of a modern material.

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    I am in the market for a cold weather hunting shirt. I have looked at several brands and was wondering what you would recommend from practical experience.
    I've tried more than a few shirts. I've never found a single product to give me what I want so I do it with layering. My base layer for the past several years has inevitably been a Dri-FIT tee. On top of that, I then layer various-weight fleece shirts or 1/4 zip fleece shirts. They're easy on and off so regulating temperature with my activity is easy. Fleece is made from synthetic fibers so they provide insulation when wet, are lightweight and dry relatively quickly.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    Cabelas windshear products are the best I've ever found nothing that I know of cuts the wind as well, Lightweight, ,very comfotable, extremely warm ,affordable and well made to last a long time.
    Plus 1 for windshear. on the other hand if you can find them Woolsterlon shirt. Spelling might be off but they were great.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Fleece is made from synthetic fibers so they provide insulation when wet, are lightweight and dry relatively quickly.
    What I really like about fleece is when it's just drizzling enough that you want something on over your base layer, but it's not raining hard enough to want to put on the rain gear. There's been a few times when I've hunted all day during a pretty constant drizzle wearing just the fleece and haven't gotten wet. I like that....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    What I really like about fleece is when it's just drizzling enough that you want something on over your base layer, but it's not raining hard enough to want to put on the rain gear. There's been a few times when I've hunted all day during a pretty constant drizzle wearing just the fleece and haven't gotten wet. I like that....
    I have experienced the same thing and have been a synthetic fleece believer every since then. Years ago I read that wool will hold up to 20% of it's weight in moisture whereas polyester fleece holds less than 1% of it's weight in moisture

My 2 or 3 favorite layers are sage wool zip top in sage green, simms windstop softshell, and simms ziptop fleece. Merino wool for base layer... whatever fits best.

My cousin got me the ultimate hunting shirt.. it's about 3x thicker than a hoodie but it's ultralight. I'll have to ask him where he got it.

Take a look at these pollen sweaters. They are a high end wool stanfield. They are made locally here in my town. I can promise you you will never regret this purchase. These sweater wear great, can go in the dryer without any shrinking. Warm as heck and perfect for hunting. I own four of them

http://pollensweaters.com/

With the Canadian dollar so low these would be a great buy!

Dan

Nice looking sweaters but they do not seem to have any shirts.
    NRA Life Member since 1974