Thread: Shock Absorbers

Default Shock Absorbers

Weíve got several old sleds (2000 & 2005) with shock absorbers that no longer absorb shocks. Iím pretty sure, but not 100% certain, that they are non-rebuildable. Iím am fixing them up for use mainly as guest sleds. They wonít see that many miles per year but I donít want them to beat up our guests.

I went ahead and ordered a new set of OEM shocks for the 05 Skidoo but the dealer called back and said they were back ordered until sometime in February. This got me to thinking about other possible options and now I have a couple of questions.

1) How can you tell for sure whether a shock is the rebuildable kind or not?

2) How can you figure out what aftermarket shocks will fit? These are old trail sleds. I donít need or want $1,000 air shocks for these things. Most of the aftermarket snowmachine websites Iíve been to are geared towards guys trying to upgrade to the latest performance parts. I just need shocks but donít know where to look other than the dealer.

Thanks.

What year and model sleds are they for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick- One of the tell tale signs of a rebuildable shock is a small brass fitting at the base of the big end of the shock for putting in the nitrogen. If your shock has one, it is most likely rebuildable. On your 2005, I doubt they were rebuildables. On the RMK, unless they are Fox shocks, they are also probably not rebuildable.

I have used Kimpex shocks with good results. I usually order them online through Dennis Kirk.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    What year and model sleds are they for?
    2000 Polaris RMK 500

2005 Skidoo Expedition Sport 550F

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Rick- One of the tell tale signs of a rebuildable shock is a small brass fitting at the base of the big end of the shock for putting in the nitrogen. If your shock has one, it is most likely rebuildable. On your 2005, I doubt they were rebuildables. On the RMK, unless they are Fox shocks, they are also probably not rebuildable.

I have used Kimpex shocks with good results. I usually order them online through Dennis Kirk.
    Like I said, I don't think they are rebuildable on either sled but I'll look for a fitting. Does Dennis Kirk have a cross reference chart or something so I know what to order?

Default Shock Absorbers

Just go to denniskirk.com and type your sleds in and you can find the shocks. They are about $89 each

Tom at PSS has a large selection of shocks that will work on just about everything, and the price isn't bad, I put 3 new shocks on my 85 formula plus and it was 275$ altogether. As said above denniskirk.com has them for cheap too.

Unless something has changed in the last week, PSS was boarded up and closed

You should be able to find serviceable used shocks on the internet such as CL, or check with the atv/snow machine salvage yards. Most shocks designed for snow machines would work if they are the correct length and have the same sized mounting holes. I have installed Skidoo shocks on a Polaris in the past.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Another place to try is http://www.royaldistributing.com/
    Being Canadian and with the strength of the US dollar you should be able to save a bunch of $$$$

Default Shock Absorbers

I think PSS moved from the building by the road straight back to where he use to be when he was SnowTrac. Try 892-8711

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just going to post that. I took a better look when I went by with my semi and it looks like he's set up in the back building. Good thing. I'd hate to see Tom go away.

Yeah Tom just moved everything back, hardly a showroom anymore but I've been in there once a week for the past few months.

There is a guy in Anch that posts on Craig's list about shock rebuilding. I know yours are not rebuildable but still might be worth a phone call to see if he has anything that will fit your machines. I'd be willing to bet he does. I remember him having quite a selection when I used him a few years ago. He has or possibly still does do some shock work for irondoggers. His shop is off of Abbot near Home Depot. Sorry I don't remember his name but do recall seeing his ad recently on CL.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway