Thread: Hicks Creek Hill

Default Hicks Creek Hill

Does anybody have any stories about that BEAST Water_Gremlin and I rode Pinochle last weekend and obviously had to climb that thing to get out of there again. In the days before we went it was obvious some guy on a dirtbike didn't make it to the top. His older dirtbike was abandoned in the willows, a few pieces torn off.
    People have had bad accidents on that hill, broken necks and backs and a lot of helivacs from there. A word of caution that hill makes Pinochle trail for EXPERIENCED riders only. You have to stay on the rightside ridge of the hill now and if the machine flips backwards it will bounce down a few hundred feet before landing in the creek.
    It sure gets the adrenaline flowing when you climb that puppy

back in the day, when you could shoot caribou back there my dad and brother and i went in, i was probably 10 years old my dad drove up it with a caribou on each trip and both times went over backwards and broke our caribou antlers in the middle, both sets. never got hurt, as this is a common thing on that hill and he had alot of practice jumpin' off the ol' big red! i never got to ride that hill, always had to walk as a kid, i've rode it since though and your right...don't go down unless you can walk back up!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Yup, Hicks Creek Hill is bad and it is a good adrenaline rush! For those who have never ascended this hill. This picture doesn't do this hill justice!

Default Its a tad steep.....

Matter of fact, came up that hill last night. Wasnt too terribly bad, but after the rain all night and early today I bet its a different ball game. What sux is the rutty crap between the first ascent and the hill down to the creek.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by tonyinak View Post
    Matter of fact, came up that hill last night. Wasnt too terribly bad, but after the rain all night and early today I bet its a different ball game........
    Yup. Rain and wet makes it a nightmare.

i have done it in biblical rain storms and in bone dry cond. but its always different thats for sure. going up or down it is a little less scary in a utv. here we are at the top. it deciced to downpour after about 3 hours, we seen it coming and got up the hill just in time.

Looks like a hill I'd love to try!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Just wondering whats the farthest you people have driven atvs up Caribou Creek. When WG and I went a few weeks ago we messed around climbing side trails before we decided to see how far we could get. We also took a long break at the old mine with an airstrip and a junk dozer and back hoe etc. We dropped down and crossed the creek, climbed and kept going for miles and there weren't any atv tracks from this year and maybe more years, we finally called it quits where the trail washed away at a creek. We could have winched down and back up the banks but we were getting tired and knew we had a 4 hour trip back to the highway and one hill before the airstrip/mine that we would have to winch up. Where we stopped we could look ahead and see a big hill with a trail snaking up it and behind the hill we could see the mountains of Boulder Creek. I'm assuming we were looking at Chitna Pass. Ya I know you likely can't get over the pass on atvs but how far in did you make it. Did you climb that hill with the snaking trail going up?

Default how far?

The trail goes for many more miles. Glass creek ends at a waterfall. Normal years the Caribou Creek trail pinches out in the canyons. There is a steep trail to the north between Whistler & Maxuma creek. 4 hrs to the trailhead? You guys must haul a&&!

Actually we made it out of there in 3 hrs. Me and WG always travel as fast as the trail will allow. Even that nasty boulder patch didn't slow us down much. we met a group of eight college aged hikers in there. It had taken them 9 days to get as far as we did in 3 hours. We even took time to winch up a small steep hill and winch out of some bottomless black muck, 3 or 4 times.

If you dropped down from the airstrip at the old mine and went across and up, you were going away from Chitna Pass. Sounds like you followed Caribou instead of Chitna Creek. The Chitna pass trail takes off the North end of the airstrip. Theres an old ambulance up Caribou creek, though I havent gotten in that far yet myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post
    If you dropped down from the airstrip at the old mine and went across and up, you were going away from Chitna Pass. Sounds like you followed Caribou instead of Chitna Creek. The Chitna pass trail takes off the North end of the airstrip. Theres an old ambulance up Caribou creek, though I havent gotten in that far yet myself.
    Wish I would have had my GPS. Yes we also took the trail North from the airstrip first (Chitna creek). It petered out after a mile and turned into a game trail, it sure stopped being a atv trail. I would have kept going anyway but there was a nasty looking ravine
    So then we went back to the airstrip and dropped down to the creek, crossed it and climbed. A short ways further we saw a faint trail (on top) we looked over the ledge and saw a small cabin below, it looked in good shape from above.
    I think we drove another 1/2 hour, 45 minutes down thru the valley and came to the ambulance parked close to the creek, that and some barrels. We kept going a few miles further to a creek where the trail was washed out. We would have had to winch down the bank and up the other one so we called it a day If we hadn't taken every side trail all day long we could have gone a lot further, next time That trial doesn't look like it gets much summer use except from hikers.

I am interested to see where that trail will lead us, I still have my money on horsepasture! While I am motivated we ought to plan a trip soon, take a good amount of gas, extra rope, and maybe see if we can get that forAK guy to go along with. This go around I will show up on time and I'll be ready to roll. My weekend looks open . You have that grizz going yet?

Quote Originally Posted by snowbear View Post
    The trail goes for many more miles. Glass creek ends at a waterfall. Normal years the Caribou Creek trail pinches out in the canyons. There is a steep trail to the north between Whistler & Maxuma creek. 4 hrs to the trailhead? You guys must haul a&&!
    Hey WG, Snowbear got it right. That steep trail we were looking at is between Whistler and Maxuma. No question now that we know that goat trail from the end of the airstrip was the chitna pass trail.
    I don't see no way of either going up Whistler or Maxuma and getting across to Horsepasture. 7,000 ft mountains with glaciers

Looks like a hill I'd love to try!
    So when do you come back from the sand box?

we met a group of eight college aged hikers in there. It had taken them 9 days to get as far as we did in 3 hours.
    And almost all of them were highly attractive young women. Now, if I was single, that would be one hike I would put at the top of my list.

All this talk makes me think another Pinochle trip is in the works this Saturday. Watcha say?

What did Billy Creek look like from that side? It turns into the Little Nelchina on the other side and of course goes by Horsepasture. I've seen snowmachines go thru there, but never seen it in the summer. Can you get up Mazuma Creek? I think that is the one some folks used to live on years ago. Also know the people who rolled a weasel and trailer back there in the 80's. LONG walk out to get a dozer and retrieve it. Got my first caribou years ago up Alfred Creek. Those were back in the track rig days.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    What did Billy Creek look like from that side? It turns into the Little Nelchina on the other side and of course goes by Horsepasture. I've seen snowmachines go thru there, but never seen it in the summer. Can you get up Mazuma Creek? I think that is the one some folks used to live on years ago. Also know the people who rolled a weasel and trailer back there in the 80's. LONG walk out to get a dozer and retrieve it. Got my first caribou years ago up Alfred Creek. Those were back in the track rig days.
    Never paid much attention to Billy Creek except to note the water isn't deep, I didn't see a trail and it looked real ruff for an atv. But if there's a way to get to the Horsepasture by atv it's up Billy Creek. Like snowbear said, Caribou Creek is a deadend. So is Whistler. Mazuma looks doable- if your a Dall Sheep

I know people who had a cabin on Caribou creek that they would access via Boulder. That was in the '70's though.