Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Headlamp that puts out some light, recommendations?

  1. #1
    Member 2jumpersplease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    100

    Default Headlamp that puts out some light, recommendations?

    Folks,

    I am am in the market for a headlamp that puts out enough light to deal with engine repairs and other difficult tasks. I have a bunch of little 3 AAA battery LED ones and would like some options for when I really need to see a lot better. Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,892

    Default Headlamp that puts out some light, recommendations?

    To be 100% honest. I work nights on slope and have had them from high dollar ones to cheap ones. Energizer headlamp $30 one is probably the best!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Two Rivers, AK
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2jumpersplease View Post
    Folks,

    I am am in the market for a headlamp that puts out enough light to deal with engine repairs and other difficult tasks. I have a bunch of little 3 AAA battery LED ones and would like some options for when I really need to see a lot better. Thoughts?
    Go down to Cold Spot Feeds and take a look - they've got a pretty good selection of headlamps for mushing. I've got a small Lupine that lights up the woods - pretty amazing and will probably blind you at close distances.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

  4. #4

    Default

    Get this on Amazon for under $20. Flood mode is like a 15 foot beam , you can walk around like its day light. Spot mode you can see a rabbit at 100 yards. Awesome light!

    Topwell® Adjustable Beam Focus Headlamps CREE XM-L XML T6 LED 1800Lm Zoom Headlight Flashlight Head Lamp Torch Head Light Aluminum alloy casing for Hunting Camping Fishing Hiking Cycling (Black)
    by Topwell
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BEJAKxGCL.jpg

  5. #5
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    Go down to Cold Spot Feeds and take a look - they've got a pretty good selection of headlamps for mushing. I've got a small Lupine that lights up the woods - pretty amazing and will probably blind you at close distances.
    Do you have the x2, or? How's battery life, especially in negative temps?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  6. #6
    Member Stanly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    954

    Default

    These are awesome. Search a little bit, the ones I have also come with a AAA insert...

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000LM-Q5-LE...item5d602c8780
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

  7. #7
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    These are awesome. Search a little bit, the ones I have also come with a AAA insert...

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000LM-Q5-LE...item5d602c8780
    Amazingly light and extremely bright.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Two Rivers, AK
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Do you have the x2, or? How's battery life, especially in negative temps?
    I've got an older Piko. There's a ton of electronics in there and it's a "smart" battery, so the battery life is surprisingly good (although you'll probably want to carry a spare if you're out for more than a day or so). It's on a cable so you can wear the battery inside your parka. They're being used pretty heavily by Quest and Iditarod mushers - they recharge at checkpoints.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Anchorage (only 1 hour from alaska)
    Posts
    351

    Default

    I have been buying the Princeton Tec headlamps as they are good and Made In USA...(heck with them Asian countries) They have a wide variety of lamps available.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Two Rivers, AK
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roybekks View Post
    I have been buying the Princeton Tec headlamps as they are good and Made In USA...(heck with them Asian countries) They have a wide variety of lamps available.
    To be honest I've had some problems with Princeton Tec headlamps - they don't exactly bounce when dropped (I've lost a lot of battery covers that way) and one, a Byte, chewed up batteries and switched off at random times. I did have an Apex that lasted 6 or 7 years and it's probably closer to what 2jumpersplease is looking for (above-average bright), but it finally fried a few months ago. I have started avoiding them, myself, but I understand they work well for a lot of people.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

  11. #11
    Member SteveAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    171

    Default

    As a cyclist I like Light and Motion lights. They have some new ones that are more like a headlamp. I did get the headband to use my existing bike lights into headlamp.

  12. #12
    Member cod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Ak.
    Posts
    2,213

    Default

    Here's the one I favor. I've been handed many diff brands over many yrs by the companies I've worked for. This LEDLENSER H7 has been my fave. Has adjustable power supply lever. Also easy beam width control lever. Also easy on/off button brightest beam I've used amongst this style of head lamps short of going to a 'musher' style lamp.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Here's the one I favor. I've been handed many diff brands over many yrs by the companies I've worked for. This LEDLENSER H7 has been my fave. Has adjustable power supply lever. Also easy beam width control lever. Also easy on/off button brightest beam I've used amongst this style of head lamps short of going to a 'musher' style lamp.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I like that one as well. I lost mine recently and need to replace it. Alaska Industrial used to have them.

    I also have a Surefire Saint. It uses either AA or CR123A. Great piece of equipment.

  14. #14
    Member 2jumpersplease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Thanks everyone! I stopped at cold spot and a woman there helped me out. The Lupine set ups look cool but we're a bit too much. I got a nice little black diamond to try. Wow are there a lot of options!!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Two Rivers, AK
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2jumpersplease View Post
    Thanks everyone! I stopped at cold spot and a woman there helped me out. The Lupine set ups look cool but we're a bit too much. I got a nice little black diamond to try. Wow are there a lot of options!!
    Black Diamond makes an excellent, durable lamp - good choice. And yes - wow, there are a lot of lamps at Cold Spot, plus they've got battery boxes and bumper switches and arctic cord and all sorts of good stuff if you want to set up or modify your own.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •