Thread: Stampede Trail

Default Stampede Trail

Looking at making the trip to see the 'magic bus' as shown in Into the Wild. I heard the rivers are nearly impossible to pass in the summer so I am planning on making this trip soon as the rivers should be frozen. Has anyone else made this trip? How are the trails for an ATV? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

I would think snowmachine would be your best bet. Lots of snow down that way...

Post pics!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBoy View Post
    Looking at making the trip to see the 'magic bus' as shown in Into the Wild. I heard the rivers are nearly impossible to pass in the summer so I am planning on making this trip soon as the rivers should be frozen. Has anyone else made this trip? How are the trails for an ATV? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    You could ski out and back now, I'm sure there are snogo trails in place. How are you planning to travel? ATV would not be a good idea.

I was mainly thinking atv as reading online people kept bringing up an atv guide service to take you out. I never saw a name of the service listed on the forums. Perhaps a snow machine would've a better idea.
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

Default Snow machine

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBoy View Post
    I was mainly thinking atv as reading online people kept bringing up an atv guide service to take you out. I never saw a name of the service listed on the forums. Perhaps a snow machine would've a better idea.
    I have been pondering that trip myself...I would choose a snow machine....I would agree that the winter is the perfect time. I hear those rivers come up fast in the spring and wet seasons.

One thing is sure And that is that more then a few ATV's and several unfortunate souls have met their demise screwing around crossing those rivers.

If if I were going any other season other then winter.... it would be on an Argo.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanTides View Post
    If if I were going any other season other then winter.... it would be on an Argo.
    You probably will not be able to cross the Savage River in an Argo. There's an ATV business on the Stampede that uses Argos, but they don't cross the Savage as far as I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

We have some mushers that organize trips for us to the Magic Bus. It's a great trip! If you want to see the actual bus from the movie, I believe that's parked in someones yard in Cantwell.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    We have some mushers that organize trips for us to the Magic Bus. It's a great trip! If you want to see the actual bus from the movie, I believe that's parked in someones yard in Cantwell.
    It's parked in front of the 49 State Brewery in Healy.

Bring along some magic shrooms.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Been there on ATVs. The Savage River is more like a creek. The Teklanika River swallows rigs and crossing on ATV has to be timed w/low water. If the water is high when you get there turn around and come back another time

Here's what high water on the Tek looks like, the Dodge in this video is on 54" tires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYix...ature=youtu.be