Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ruger guide gun 416....extreme make over

Default ruger guide gun 416....extreme make over

I sent my .416 ruger guide gun to rick stienhour of extreme rifle works in texas to have it put on a diet and make it more functional as a tool for my guiding. haev about 100 rounds thru it and several hunts so its not spottless straight from the smith anymore but these pics will give you and idea.
    It came back at 5lb 11oz, new stock to fit my shorter arms and smaller hands, fluted and dimpled bolt, turned down barrell action and front sight, rear sight removed (have a peep for it), moved the sling stud to the nose to elimnate busting my fingers, shortened the forend of the stock about 5 inches, cerakoted it and installed a new recoil pad.
    the gun fits amazing, handles amazing, shoots awesome. we have 300 gr TSX at 2600fps right now, its shooting about 1.5" groups but we haven't played with the load to much at this point. i'm thrilled with the gun, ricks turn around was less than three weeks since the post office lost the gun for 21 days...i was running behind and rick hammered it out and sent me updates almost every day on what he was working on next!

Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I like what you've done. Looks much more user friendly and more pleasant to my eye as well. It's not my business, but gotta believe you're into the gunsmithing for a good bit more than the original price on the rifle.

Who made the stock for it? I've a .416 Remington that I hope will be back from the gunsmith soon. It should weigh 7.5 pounds when it's all said and done and I was thinking that might be more fun than I wanted, but maybe I should've been more diligent in shaving its weight....
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Very nice Jake... I like the idea of the Ruger Guide Gun...but that laminated stock is pretty ugly and chunky and Ruger builds them hefty.

I have to ask, what's the idea behind removing so much forend? If that's a 20" barrel, the forend must only be 6" long.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Ole' Sourdough saying, Man with light rifle, make his butt look huge..........

I had tic do a light weight 375 h&h on a Winchester. He does great work! I think it will serve you well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 1200 into the smith work about 900 in the rifle. Still cheaper than my old ultra light 416. Rick built the stock as well. I went with the short forend because I never use those last few inches. Wasted weight. So we took it off. I don't like heavy or normal weigh rifles, I think light weight guns have been given a bad reputation for recoil but I thinkers the opposite. Heavy guns seem worse to me. I'd rather have a quick short recoil than a heavy long one that really rocks me back.
    Master guide 212

Very nice indeed and may it see the next hundred bears fall.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Ole' Sourdough saying, Man with light rifle, make his butt look huge..........
    I thought he liked big butts.....
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I can not lie...
    Master guide 212

With what you do for a living I'd say that is 1200 bucks that was very well spent. I would imagine that it's not a whole lot of fun to shoot from a bench but when shooting at a big brown and furry I'm guessing that you don't even feel the recoil. I like it! Looks good minus the big dog turd hanging off the muzzle.

ya first thing on my list was cut the threads off for the muzzle break. i'm a believer if you have to break it your gun is to big. its not bad to shoot, quick and sharp...very quick and sharp lol
    Master guide 212

That's a nice rifle, I like it. Of course for those who've listened to my yapping, it's quite common for me to like a rifle that has 20" barrels, shooting something other than deer and gopher bullets and equipped with open sights. That was always my beef with my old ruger guide gun, the ridiculous size of the stock. What's the weight? I'm guessing your sitting at 7 3/4 lbs.

When It comes to great factory open sights, Ruger got it right, best dmn sights a factory rifle EVER had.

Funny....Rick just sent me your old stock! I'm dropping my 300 WM 77RS into it. It currently is in a plastic Ramline. Your rifle is beautiful.

New rifle is 5lb 11oz with iron sights. Yes it's true.
    Master guide 212

The locking lugs show they are locking in good also.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

It truly is a nice looking gun. One day you will have to go over all of the merits of a 416.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

lol well ron that would be a waste of time, since every shot is purely circumstation there would never be a way to say or prove the 416 was any better or worse than any other comparable round would have been. i choose the 416 cause it has power (so does alot of others) it shoots big bullets (so do alot of others) it penetrates (so do alot of others) and it makes me feel better. (alot of others don't). i would say largely alot of what we choose to shoot is based off feelings to some extent. theres alot of calibers that will do excatly what my 416 does, and in some situations do it better, in some situations do it worse. i just went for a big bore that has good numbers and makes a big hole, the rest is just how i feel about it. and i like it. alot.
    Master guide 212

Jake, perception is everything. In your experience is a big deal. If you feel the 416 does it better or gives you that warm and fuzzy, it's a big deal.

It may sound funny, but some folks carry weight in some areas.

Taylor says "few calibers crumple a charging lion like the 416." Just curious over one who owns a 375.

Edwin Hubble

[QUOTE=BRWNBR;. i just went for a big bore that has good numbers and makes a big hole, the rest is just how i feel about it. and i like it. alot.[/QUOTE]

What you said right there is what matters. Anyone hunting dangerous game needs to have that feeling about their gun. I am glad that you shared it with us for the fact that it is light. There are those out there who think one should "man up" in regards to carrying heavy guns. It's refreshing to hear that a top notch guide takes consolation in carrying a 6# rifle. The only thing a 10lb rifle will do that your 6 pounder won't is make you tired sooner. 😉

Does it ride ok on your shoulder when carried? It looks like with that short of forend it may be a bit awkward to tote around?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast