Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We need to talk about NAA Mini revolvers.

Default We need to talk about NAA Mini revolvers.

Who besides Will and I think the NAA Black Widow is intriguing?

My old Buddy Ben Crawford carried one in his bibbed overhaul pocket for as long as I knew him. Ben owned a very lucrative tree service business. Many a time I walked into Big Bens shop there wood be a splitting log sitting on end with a pop can sitting on top of it. Directly behind the log was a big pile of stacked fire wood for heating the shop. Ben would be sitting across the room next to his saw sharpening bench. He would have a cup of coffee in one hand and his Biting Spider pistola in the other. Ben was getting up in years so his young crew would be out doing tree jobs while Ben sharpened chains, did paper work, drank coffee and shot his NAA Black Widow at a can sitting on the splitter. The little gun was powder burned black in front of the cylinder and there was a coffee can full of empty 22 mag casings next to the the old swivel chair that was adjusted to fit Ben and noone else. Ben's "Black Widder" as he called it could very well have had more rounds fired through it than any other on the planet. Ben was the only person that I know of that was real proficient with one of those Mini revolvers. Time after time he would hand me the Black Widow and nod towards the pop can. Time after time debris would fly in the woodpile behind the can but the can would stand untouched. Yet when it was Ben's turn to shoot EKC wore out a pair of sneakers walking back and forth across the shop to sit the target can back on the stump.

Ben said that hollow Maple trees were his lively hood but more often than not they were also home to many raccoons who didn't appreciate that noisey thing cutting right through their living room. Enter Ben's Black Widow. He was known to keep some plastic sacks behind the seat in the boom truck because a nice young raccoon made pretty good vittles at the end of a long day in the basket.

Ben is gone now and that Black Widow is where it should be. It now rides in the inner pocket of a suit coat belonging to Ben's son Clint.

EKC is entertaining the idea of getting a BW for himself. Ben's old swivel chair now sits next to his chain sharpener attached to the bench in my garage. Across my garage is 3 rows of firewood stacked clear to the ceiling. The distance across my garage spans about half that of Ben's shop. It may still be to far.

Any one else have a hankering for a NAA Mini revolvers?

The tiny grip and the open trigger are two things that have kept me from being very interested in these things. I have a pre war ppk in 32acp that is about as small as I can hold well and hit stuff with. A ppk in 22lr would interest me more. Trying to cock an NAA with one hand and keep your trigger finger out of the way of the cyl gap the muzzle and the trigger during the excitement of needing the gun in a hurry would take more time and practice than is worth the effort to me.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I like the one I mentioned in the other thread,,,, Mini-Master, 4" in 22 LR, with adj sights.. )

I'm sure that shooting a 2" barrel 22 Mag would be very unpleasant. Dunno bout the 4" in 22 LR, but I spect that would be much more tolerable.

I've not shot the BW as you have. I'm basing my opinion on experience with my Beretta 21A 22 LR, WHICH is probably superior to both our choices.

For one thing it doesn't take 30 seconds to reload. And I also have a 2nd magazine for it.

It just seems to me that a very light 22 LR handgun with a decent barrel length and sight radius would be useful in a survival situation.

I wish someone would make a replica of that SS like rbuck has, and assign me to test it extensively.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've got to admit, I've looked at these off and on over the years. More as a novelty or oddity than anything else. I liked the looks of that top break they never produced a few years ago....but that appears to be back in the form of the Ranger II, probably tomorrow at the SHOT show.

Once they get smaller than a Ruger Bearcat (a pretty nice small revolver in its own right) or a PPK.... shooting becomes pretty tough for me since I've got large hands.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

They did make a few hundred Rangers and they now sell from 1,550-2,000 bucks,just to expensive to make a profit on with those tiny parts.I put the large finger groove wood grips on my BW and can stay on a paper plate all day at fifteen yards and cans from seven to ten yards most every time. They make a sidewinder now that loads and unloads like any DA revolver,swing out cylinder. Excellent on trapline or halibut while fishing and spruce hens along a trail are not a problem. Customer service is outstanding.Stay away from the folding grip. The Earls are fun but the grip is worst than the birdhead for most.Buds always has very good prices on them.If you order a ranger II before release NAA is giving a cut price and they eject like any top break.Bob Munden could shoot the heck out of them.

http://naaminis.com/smf/index.php
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Old Ben also had one with an ace of spades in the white pearl like grip and that is what he called it. Be darned if I can find one though! Maybe he just added the grips...dunno?

How many guns do we have that aren't the perfect gun but are still intriguing? I think part of it for me is that I couldn't hit that dang pop can across Bens shop and he could. I may never be ready to be a turd in the woods until I get that mastered. Not exactly the gun to have when you have bad carpal tunnel syndrome going on...again/yet.

If it was worth the time and effort for Bob Munden then?

I fired off both barrels of an over under derringer in 38spl once but I won't do it again. If I can't get a good grip on a hand gun, it's not for me. Now the old Stevens Tip Up is a neat very light gun that is easy to shoot. It's only a one shooter but it's quick to reload and accurate and would make a very good survival pistol. There is such a thing as too small for me.

NAA makes limited editions once or twice a year and I think the ace gun was called the blackjack. NAA took over making the Freedom Arms mini's and was a early maker of Casull revolvers until Freedom Arms was up and running.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I've been intrigued by the little NAA's ever since I saw one on a belt buckle. It's on my list of guns i'd like to buy when I find a deal that I just cant pass up. I see it as a something is better then nothing gun for those times when any of my other pistols might be to big for conceled carry.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I fired off both barrels of an over under derringer in 38spl once but I won't do it again. If I can't get a good grip on a hand gun, it's not for me. Now the old Stevens Tip Up is a neat very light gun that is easy to shoot. It's only a one shooter but it's quick to reload and accurate and would make a very good survival pistol. There is such a thing as too small for me.
    "Stevens Tip Up"

I had forgotten what it was called.

t should make an excellent Survival Goon.

As an aside, I don't wanna get lost in the wilderness again until them Porky Pines make a comeback. I hardly see them anymore.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I have had 2 NAA mini revolvers. Both of them were 22 long rifle caliber. I had problems out of both of them. One of them locked up and wouldnt let the hammer come back. I sent it back to NAA and it was repaired and returned promptly. I had to pay shipping in though. Both of them had the ball detent fall out of the base pin. NAA sent replacement base pins in both incidents. I had at least 2 hammer springs break. I cannot remember if that was 1 per each gun, or both on the same gun. But i recall it was around the 400 round count mark. I had one of the revolvers maybe 5 years ago, then the next about 3 years ago.

I got to where I could hit a 12" plate at 10 yards or so with it. I liked the little thing, and it was real fun. And seemed like good quality. I took one of them apart once, and that was a real rascal to get back together. Some really small parts inside there.

Also, the first one I had, it was a 1 5/8" barrel. I got to where I didnt like it and decided to chop off the barrel to the 1 1/8" length size. Hacked it off and sanded it smooth on the belt sander, deburred the inside of the barrel with a dremel cone real gentle. I figured it wasnt going to be accurate anyways, and I didnt see any difference in accuracy after the modification. I Had the gunsmith install a silver shotgun bead on the barrel rib as a front sight, and it looked sweet. NAA came out with a bead front sight sometime after that.

I have one. .22lr and .22mag cylinder. Also have a black plastic grip that goes on it. I keep the wood handles on. Fits in the front pocket like a jackknife. Works best to "point" it instead of careful aim. It's not unpleasant to fire with either cartridge with regards to recoil or spit powder. It is noisy.

If an assailant was trapped in the cab of the pickup with you, you might be able to hit him with a bullet or throw it at him with about the same result.

At night the flash and noise of the 22mag will send most packing but you won't see where they went unless wearing shades at night. I do keep a main spring or two around and at three bucks each and two minuet fix no problem. There is a guy on the NAA forum that makes speed loaders for them and can be purchased on forum or e-bay. I saved my money as I don't need speed. Easy enough to drop out mag cylinder and stick in the lr 30 seconds.

Awhile back I bought a nine shot Tarrus 22 LR with a 2" barrel and ran a 22 mag reamer into each hole and it shoots pretty good at 15 or 20 yds at least good enough for a spruce chicken or bunny or tree rat. I do prefer it over the NAA mini 1 5/8" in 22 mag for shooting but the mini sure is nice to carry. I suppose I need more practice with mine to get consistent hits do I guess the answer is a 22 LR cylinder. I have a Beretta 21 in 22 lr that is just about as easy to carry as the mini but I'm not convinced it will feed every time so I don't carry it for defensive purposes. That swing out cylinder model has some merit for sure.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I pulled the grips on my 22lr. Made it much easier to hang onto instead of the slick grips. Attached one of those retractable chain key holders that clips to your belt and a key quick release. Carried it in my watch pocket for years.
    Very quick to pull and easier to hang on to with the quick release. No need to release it as the chain was long enough for all but eye level shooting. Light enough it was always carried unlike other firearms.
    Saved my butt once when a thief was just getting ready to bust my window out of my car with a tire iron. I will admit it seemed pretty tiny when he turned on me with the tire iron but must of seemed big to him as he took off running when I pointed at his face from 10 feet.
    It was pretty hard on pop cans at 25 feet.
    My 82 year old father carries a 22lr on his belt buckle and 22 mag with the folding grips/holster elsewhere. The magnum is loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Awhile back I bought a nine shot Tarrus 22 LR with a 2" barrel and ran a 22 mag reamer into each hole and it shoots pretty good at 15 or 20 yds at least good enough for a spruce chicken or bunny or tree rat. I do prefer it over the NAA mini 1 5/8" in 22 mag for shooting but the mini sure is nice to carry. I suppose I need more practice with mine to get consistent hits do I guess the answer is a 22 LR cylinder. I have a Beretta 21 in 22 lr that is just about as easy to carry as the mini but I'm not convinced it will feed every time so I don't carry it for defensive purposes. That swing out cylinder model has some merit for sure.
    I don't think that short barrels and 22 mag, mix very well. I doubt there is any meaningful difference in performance over the 22 LR.

The additional noise and muzzle blast is the price paid for whatever it is.

22 Mag really shines in a rifle.

My Beretta 21A, 22 LR, has been 100% reliable. I use CCI Blazer ammo.

Because of the short barrel and sight radius, I'be never considered it a small game gun. ????

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty,

Try the short barrel mag stuff and I think you'll see a pretty big difference...not just noise but better penetration but it ain't cheap.

I love my Smith 34 with a 4" in LR but it seems to give better power with .22 short HP on coons and and possums when compared to regular hispeed LR HP. I guess the short uses all it's powder in the short barrel and the LR is still building speed when it leaves the barrel. .22 LR subsonic HP has become my favorite in a rifle...kills real well.

I've tried a few different .22LR in the little Beretta and most work OK but mini mags seem to work best. It just doesn't have a high level of confidence in my little brain.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Smitty,

Try the short barrel mag stuff and I think you'll see a pretty big difference...not just noise but better penetration but it ain't cheap.

I love my Smith 34 with a 4" in LR but it seems to give better power with .22 short HP on coons and and possums when compared to regular hispeed LR HP. I guess the short uses all it's powder in the short barrel and the LR is still building speed when it leaves the barrel. .22 LR subsonic HP has become my favorite in a rifle...kills real well.

I've tried a few different .22LR in the little Beretta and most work OK but mini mags seem to work best. It just doesn't have a high level of confidence in my little brain.
    You can check out 22 LR and 22 Mag velocities with 2" barrels and 40 grain bullets at this website. I don't see a lot of difference. As the barrel lengthens 22 Mag gets better, but it takes substantial barrel length to have a meaningful gain.

I have a 22 Mag. rifle and a buncha Federal 50 grain loads. I don't shoot them much anymore because of availability and expense.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Couldn't find a good comparison of LR to Mag but came up with one from the American Rifleman:

Not as good as .45 ACP but a lot lighter to carry and I have no desire to be shot by any of them. The LR would certainly compare on some level but I like the fire ball you get from the short barrel mag...might scare the fellow into a heart attack.

Lowrider:

Just compare same bullet weights, same barrel lengths, in 22 LR and 22 Mag. I found very little difference in velocities at barrel lengths found on NAA revolvers.

The 22 Mags power is wasted in short barrels. Might as well use 22 LR.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast