Thread: Shakedown ride w/kids - Willow, Big Lake, or...?

Default Shakedown ride w/kids - Willow, Big Lake, or...?

We haven't been out on snowmachines with our little ones yet, and we're hoping to do a shakedown ride tomorrow to figure out the kinks before a trip up the Yentna next weekend. We're thinking of keeping it simple - riding laps around a lake, a groomed trail, or something along those lines. We're just looking to get the kids comfortable and make sure their new helmet, etc. setups are fine before we head out next week.

What are the lakes like in the Big Lake vicinity? I'm sure they're rock hard, but is there enough to at least ride around on without getting beat up? Would it be better sticking to the trails up around Willow? Obviously further north is better, but we're not going to head to Cantwell for the day this time around. Any recent reports would be much appreciated.

The far side of big lake has some snow, and it gets better a few miles down the trail towards the little su. They have groomed them this winter, so they have a smooth base. Before this last snowfall you could definately notice the snow difference between the town side and flat lake side for the snow.

We were riding the bikes on Big Lake today. There is about 3" of light snow cover on the lake. That was by South Shore.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I would recommend willow but most everything is hard everywhere around here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willow trails are recently groomed so might be the best option close by

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. Didn't get out last weekend, but heading up the yentna tomorrow.