Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheep Shape 2016

Default Sheep Shape 2016

Well, fat season (as Alaska_Lanche calls it) is drawing to a close, and it's time to get after it. After all, hunting season is less than 8 months away! So, how about it? What are you doing to stay in shape or improve your mountain fitness? Any tips to share from experience?

Went on a hike/climb with my bride yesterday. Spent about 3 hours in the mountains, and turned around when we found a ram in our path. I wanted to get closer for better pictures (only had my phone with me), but we decided not to needlessly stress him in the middle of winter. There was another set of tracks that we had been following for a while, but we never caught glimpse of the 2nd sheep. Still, pretty fun to see a ram in January while getting a bit of exercise in!

What's the difference between a bride and a wife....time spent married...???.......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Is that blacktail rocks Brian?

Quote Originally Posted by akfish716 View Post
    Is that blacktail rocks Brian?
    That it is. I've seen sheep tracks on Blacktail before, but never the sheep themselves. Have seen some a few ridges back, but it was an unexpected treat to run into a ram so close to home.

I've been using the time since Christmas off-trail hiking the hills north of Seward. The hillsides have a couple feet of snow, making the leg workout spectacular. Still have lots of holiday goodies to work off!
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"
    Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

I started two weeks ago. 25 miles on the treadmill so far, 4,000 calories and minus 8 pounds. If I can average loosing 4 pounds a week, I will be happy. I put all of my lead bullets in the pack yesterday and it came out to 42 pounds. Good weight to start walking with.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    That it is. I've seen sheep tracks on Blacktail before, but never the sheep themselves. Have seen some a few ridges back, but it was an unexpected treat to run into a ram so close to home.

Thats pretty cool. I have hiked that area 50 times or so and have never seen sheep or sign of sheep. I know peters creek valley and ram valley have sheep just didn't know sheep could be that close to Eagle River.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    What's the difference between a bride and a wife....time spent married...???.......lol.
    The heart attitude of the man she is married to
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Well said, sir....

I'm refilling my woodshed. About 10 cords of green birch will be going from the woods into my truck to my lot and into the shed. I carry them out as heavy as I can handle, and do all the cutting at home. Then for work I'm building a 100x40x14' pole barn. Not a lot of emphasis on cardio, but I sure am building my core and packing muscles!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    But doesn't that apply on the other side as well.... so like I said, time spent married?

Just kidding guys so don't go gettin' all romanticized on me or somethin'.....lol

fat season is over??? not hardly!! alaska lanche has no kids...his fat season is a little different i'm thinking! fat seasons over when the bears wake up....thats my story and i'm stickin' to it!! all this from the guy who puts together a pizza get together...harsh brian, harsh. lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Yeah, he looks like the kinda guy that can eat and eat and never gain a pound.....

Btw Brian, I take it that ram wasn't full curl or you probably would have said so...???

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    all this from the guy who puts together a pizza get together...harsh brian, harsh. lol
    Hey now, the pizza will have vegetables on it! It's health food.

Don't take this post to mean that I'm getting serious about cutting calories or going too crazy in the hills. Just starting the talk because, well, it's dark at 5pm and the snow is terrible, so talking hunting isn't a bad diversion.

I need to focus on the cardio before I start getting serious on climbing mountains, so I've been skiing cross country with 3 of the kiddos towed behind in a sled. Good fun for them, good exercise for me.

Tonight was interesting when we picked up speed on the downhill. My DIY setup jackknifed when I did the pizza pie to control speed. The front end of the sled actually got AHEAD of me with bowing PVC conduit connecting us. Thankfully that's when we slid out of the narrow trail and back onto the wide open AND FLAT trailhead. Kids had a blast, giggling and asking to do it again. Oh, and we had the dog leashed to this 3 ring circus, too.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Working in K-12 education it is challenging to find enough time to go on a quality sheep hunt. I have only been hunting for sheep once but loved every minute of it. As of today, I have put in 75 miles of a combination of cross country skiing, snow shoeing and walking the dog. My goal has been 25 miles per week. Losing extra pounds has not really been a goal but I am also down 7 pounds. Giving I can figure out how to create time to go again I want to be ready.

Educational amigo.

You have many coworkers that have wonderful toys and the ability to put you into some very good spots. Use your Labor day week well.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Pizza counts as a good whole food if it's good and you eat the whole thing.

Beyond the daily workout, I started about a month ago doing the stairs at the office with my backpack on Saturdays.

i found cadbury eggs at the store...fat season is not over!!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast