Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The wonderful 1911

Default The wonderful 1911

The semi auto I have fired the most is my old and reliable Springfield "Loaded" 1911. Other then the Novak Night Sights, extended magazine well and a crisp 4 lb. trigger it is pretty much stock. A good 5" barreled Government Model chambered for the .45 ACP cartridge is so easy to shoot well with decent training. Even though I have packed a Glock 19 more the last couple of years, the last pistol I would sell is probably that 1911. It has a rich and reliable battle history and no matter how the bullet performs, it always creates at least a .45 caliber hole!

My preferred carry is "Cocked and Locked" in a Kramer Horse Hide Belt Scabbard or a IWB holster by Kramer. That and a dual magazine pouch with 2 spare 8 round magazines should handle about any scary situation a civilian would run into.

How about you guys? I now I'm not the only 1911 lover out there.

Hard to beat a 1911 in 45acp.

Having 'grown up' shooting the 1911 in the military and shooting in combat pistol, I really do like it. I also have a Springfield arms 1911 that is a dream to shoot. But for me, I find that I carry one of my large frame Glock's more then any of my other hand guns. I know, I am waiting for the whip leashing!!!! The two calibers of the two Glock's are 10mm and 45acp, it just depends on where I am going and what my mood of the day is!

I also like Glock pistols and I like the ballistics of the 10 mm round, but having never fired one I wonder if I could get fast accurate shots like I can with a 1911 .45. A Govt. Mod. 1911 is to me the easiest pistol to shoot well because of the barrel length, weight, grip, crisp trigger and the fast trigger reset.

I've had more versions of the 1911 than any other pistol...

Hard to beat the "Yankee Fist".
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Saw my first one in 1968. My Springfield 1911 is my carry firearm of choice. Awesome round and some military units are going back from the 9mm. I often carry it to my black bear bait station and never worry.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Would some one please move this thread to the hand gun forum. I posted in the wrong place, the tribulations of old age.

I too am a fan of the 1911 as well as the Browning Hi Power, and revolvers of various sorts.
    Carried the double action revolver, both at work and on my own time, but often carried a 1911 off duty too.
    These days I prefer carry a big bore revolver but keep some 1911's in the safe.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I've had more versions of the 1911 than any other pistol...

Hard to beat the "Yankee Fist".
    Tho sacrilegious to some, I carry a "Canadian fist (?)"; an early 90's model P12. Same top end as the Officers model, and thanks to the alloy frame, with 12 (or 13) rounds on board it weighs about the same. With the added capacity I often don't bother to carry a second mag. And it fits my hand better than a slab-side 1911, which always made me feel like I had to stretch to reach the trigger. Now after all these years I kinda wish I had bought two.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I'm not sure the 1911 is the best hand gun ever but it fits my hand very well and hits where I'm looking at 15yds or so without using the sights. It's also 100% reliable. Those are two of my priorities. I had a Glock 21 for quite a while and shot it a bunch but it never pulled up on target, always high left. I put a couple thousand rds through a Glock 22 which pointed high left as well. Never did like that gun. I'll gladly sacrifice 5rds capacity if I can hit rapidly with the first 8. I certainly won't knock someone for not using a 1911 as it can't possibly fit everyone like it fits me and I have a couple other guns that I am very comfortable with as well. I have a 4" M28 S&W that just seems to hit stuff without much effort from me and I'm developing an affection for the XDs in 45 as well. Fact is I like a lot of different handguns. The 1911 the 28 S&W and an old Ruger MKI T are my three favorite.

My 2 cents: I've shot a NM 1911 about 50,000 times...preferably with a flat back strap... for the MTU. Shot for 5 years and I have to say that gun was near 100% reliable.

Still today for CARRY purposes, I use my Glock 30. Might trade it off for a G36. If 7 rounds of 45 ACP can't get it done, either you can't shoot or you are in the wrong place.

I have to say that if I went the semiauto route, it would be some variation of the 1911, highly tuned and 100% reliable. It just suits me better than all others I've tried.

Problem is, I'm a reloader and do about 99% of my shooting in the field rather than on the range. Shooting 200 rounds a week and coming home with less than 100 rounds of brass is a nonstarter for me. I just despise crawling around on my hands and knees looking for brass in the grass and twigs.

Therefore I'm a revolver guy for carry. That's what I shoot all the time and what I'm best with, so that's what I stick with. If 6 won't do the job, I have no business with a gun in my hand.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Why,,, them old things.

You gotta cock the hammer, putting the gun into battery, just to put the safety on, which obviously isn't enough so a grip safety is necessary, also.

Of course, they've been popular for a hunnert yars, now more than ever. Nostalgia, then be a powerful thing.

Nothing else would explain it, since there is a plethora of more MODERN guns to choose from. Guns that are DA, the first shot, and DAO. Guns that are safe to carry without a safety on.

Perhaps, it's the 45 ACP cartridge, but NO, the 45 ACP is chambered in other guns too.

But, here's a biggy. They're SOOOO, expensive. And, if you have one you need an M1 Garland, or and 03 Springfield to go with it. MORE expense, and bother.

What kind of life is that?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I have to say that if I went the semiauto route, it would be some variation of the 1911, highly tuned and 100% reliable. It just suits me better than all others I've tried.

Problem is, I'm a reloader and do about 99% of my shooting in the field rather than on the range. Shooting 200 rounds a week and coming home with less than 100 rounds of brass is a nonstarter for me. I just despise crawling around on my hands and knees looking for brass in the grass and twigs.

Therefore I'm a revolver guy for carry. That's what I shoot all the time and what I'm best with, so that's what I stick with. If 6 won't do the job, I have no business with a gun in my hand.
    I hear ya:

If I get an ortermatic 45,
    I will shoot it very little,
    and I won't hand load it,
    and I will never pick up brass for it.
    Just like my 380.
    I've got it all panned out.

It won't be a 1911, and it won't be a Glock.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

It's not so much nostalgia as the fact that they work. Mine isn't a true 1911 as it is a Ballister Molina which is a copy of the 1911 except there is no grip safety. I don't know when it was built but probably in the 20s or 30s. I drove over it with a 3/4 ton Ford in a gravel pit once. I forgot and left it setting on a rear tire when I drove off. It didn't seem to make any difference, it still worked fine. It will shoot about 2" at 50yds with my cast loads. I don't know if I still can but it will. It will shoot about any 45acp load you want to run through it. I even shot some SWC with the bullet in backwards flush with the case mouth and no malfunctions. Try that with one of the modern guns. Oh yeah I bought it out of Shotgun News for 89.95. Yep, you have to cock it to put it on safety but I don't see the point of putting it on safety if it isn't cocked. I don't like DA the first shot and then change to SA. I want my trigger to be the same each and every time. I don't have an M1 Garland or an 03 Springfield but I do have a 17 Enfield all stock. Does that count? There are a lot more modern guns around now but it will take a very good one to be better than my old beat up Ballister Molina. I have a Springfield XDs which is a very good pistol but the trigger is no match for my 1911 copy. Ah, but life is great with my old beater. Find me another gun that works as well as my 1911 copy for twice what I paid for mine and I'll buy it. There are some things that were just made right in the beginning and don't need fixed. John Browning designed a lot of stuff that way. Take a 92 Winchester. There are a lot of newer more modern guns now days, but for a woods carry around the 92 is really hard to beat as is the 1911. No, it's not right for everyone but what is?

I think a concealed carry 1911 is best if it is not modified in an attempt to turn it into a target gun. Very tight slide frame fit and to light of a trigger are not for me. I am willing to sacrifice "target accuracy' for "combat accuracy" any day. A crisp 4 lb. trigger, good sights and a beaver tail for a high grip are all I need.

One thing I have found is a good quality single stack 1911 magazine is more reliable then most double stack magazines I have used and double stack .45 magazines are a heavier for concealed carry. Then again if you don't really do much shooting and never let a magazine drop in the dirt it might last forever. But, a spare magazine is a good idea as magazines fail and pistols malfunction and being able to change mags when they do is a good idea.

Maybe, I've got some hang-ups.

I'm not very familiar with all the different actions on these new auto pistols, but,,,, To me, DA the first shot, and a hammer so you can cock it if you want would be the best.

The 1911 I owned so many years ago, I carried with a round in the chamber, and the hammer on the safety notch. (Not safe, if I dropped it.)

I just couldn't bring myself to carrying it, with a round in chamber, and the safety on. Or, just about any SA auto.

I would prob. carry without a loaded round.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Maybe, I've got some hang-ups.

I'm not very familiar with all the different actions on these new auto pistols, but,,,, To me, DA the first shot, and a hammer so you can cock it if you want would be the best.

The 1911 I owned so many years ago, I carried with a round in the chamber, and the hammer on the safety notch. (Not safe, if I dropped it.)

I just couldn't bring myself to carrying it, with a round in chamber, and the safety on. Or, just about any SA auto.

I would prob. carry without a loaded round.

Smitty of the North

Im willing to bet you a bunch of money that the model you carried many years ago was a series 70 model colt...(which is my favorite). the only folks I know nowadays that produce a series 70 model is Springfield...(thats why a SA 1911 has not for sale in California printed on the Box) it didn't meet there specs for drop test.
    Most everyone now makes a series 80 which has a firing pin lock that can only be unlocked when you depress the grip safety. You can drop the new ones all you want,, with that firing pin locked there will be no boom boom.

I think what most folks don't realize is that a 1911 has a disconnect....without that grip safety depressed it does not matter rather or not the Hammer is back its not going to do anything... second is the thumb safety. in my option its a safer system then glock by far.
    Both or single action semi autos thus both have to have one in the chamber and ready to go.
    Striker fired vs hammer is a subject for a different time.
    IMO People just get scared when they see that hammer back... the newer plastic guns require allot less maintenance and oil...
    That said I have never found my 1911's to be unreliable.
    I read a rifleman went to war written by Herbert McBride and apparently they found the 1911 to me more reliable in the trenches of WW1 then the revolvers of the day, I never would have thought it. it was a good read

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Tho sacrilegious to some, I carry a "Canadian fist (?)"; an early 90's model P12. Same top end as the Officers model, and thanks to the alloy frame, with 12 (or 13) rounds on board it weighs about the same. With the added capacity I often don't bother to carry a second mag. And it fits my hand better than a slab-side 1911, which always made me feel like I had to stretch to reach the trigger. Now after all these years I kinda wish I had bought two.
    Uh huh, no sacrilegious thoughts here. I rather admire when some carries what they prefer and or bolsters their confidence in their ability towards self preservation should it arise. kinda scary when a youngster has the latest greatest fad gun in one back pocket and the owners manual in the other.

I'm thinking you'll do well with the P12!

I had a chance to trade into a NIB Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911c today for a CVA Optima with a Nikon scope aboard. After putting 100 rounds down range this afternoon I think it might be one of my bestest trades to date.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast