Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving on Lake Louise

Default Driving on Lake Louise

Just a friendly reminder not to drive on the snowmachine trails on Lake Louise. Recently some folks have been driving on them, rutting them up and making a real mess. Someone hauling supplies to their cabin flipped a sled on the ruts today. The folks that have cabins up there pay to keep them groomed - for snowmachines.

Rep comming your way

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    Rep comming your way

Sent while partying

I agree.

It's too bad the Alaskan Icefishing FB group doesn't see it the same way.
    They have been posting that they will drive where ever they feel like and screw the locals.

correct me if I am wrong but I was told that the snow mobile trail money comes from the state grants from the snow mobile licencing not from
    one group of people , after saying that no matter what you do there will always be a few A holes around, a few beers an look out they are the king of the trail , SID roud.00:

Just fyi, it wasnt me...
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

So drifter, I take it you're not a fan of the facebook group?

Quote Originally Posted by TundraT View Post
    Pretty ironic you don't do your homework...I trashed these same guys 6 years ago for doing the said same
    What's your point, Skippy? The OP was a friendly reminder to be respectful of the locals and established trails on the lake. Period. Should be no more need be said. And here you come throwing a hissy fit. Same etiquette applies to established trails anywhere in the country. I lived down there for a time and have crossed that lake several times in ground-blizzard conditions; was **** grateful for the well marked and groomed trail. The locals put much time, energy, and expense into maintaining those trails for hauling supplies into their places. When conditions are bad, lives can depend on marked and maintained trails. I don't need to do any "homework"; don't give a rats ass what your little personal spat is about. I don't care who you are, where you come from, or how many fish you caught; common courtesy dictates that you don't trash established groomed marked snowmachine trails that people depend on. Period.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Rep comming your way taiga. We got stuck in real thick ice fog one day and we got lucky they made they staked the trail the day before. Not saying we wouldn't have made it back but it sure made it a lot easier following a trail without worrying about ruts going across it.

Sent while partying

I drove on the lake this weekend, and crossed the trails only once in a spot where others had already crossed. I snow machine up there often and use those groomed trails. I agree it's disrespective to drive on the groomed trails. Had a couple nice talks with locals up there about the trails, and we agreed about not driving on the trails. I appreciate all the work John and the lodge do for people out there. Hell, I helped him set up markers for the Spring poker run last Year. Most years there is too much snow for this to be an issue, but the last few have allowed people to drive a lot later in the season than normal. Something like a "proposed truck crossing" on a groomed trail that was clearly marked could help the situation.

i will say this though, as the conditions are right now, the ruts trucks are making are maybe 3-4". The packed groomed trails might have 5" of snow. I have towed many freight sleds and I have no idea how those ruts could tip a freight sled.

What did I just read....don't drive on the trails. Friendly reminder, that is all.

I feel stupider now. Ha

This thread probably reads really weird with all of TundraT's comments gone.

Crossing the trails isn't the problem. The ruts running perpendicular to the trail don''t cause more than a bump as you cruise over them. The problem lies when truck drivers cross at a low angle, or even drive on the trail for a distance. It's then real easy to catch a ski or runner in the ruts. In low visibility conditions you may not see the ruts until you're on them.

Quote Originally Posted by 8weight View Post
    So drifter, I take it you're not a fan of the facebook group?
    The group is fine, it's just a few people that don't seem to have respect for others.

Drifter nailed it, RESPECT, it goes a long way, especially if everyone involved is decent to begin with. I used to take my kids up there often, we knew locals were picky about the trails, I don't live there, it's their trails, so we never abused the trails. The good part, we usually hammered lakers and Burbot too. Piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    This thread probably reads really weird with all of TundraT's comments gone.
    Was pretty weird with them as well...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

As Drifter said a few people, that is true with all groups A FEW PEOPLE spoil it for the rest of us no matter what you do , from hunting fishing ,
    driving a car , the few spoil it for the rest of us, even having a gun in your car or house , if one person screws up we all pay the price today,
    with a bad name for the group SID

I was thinking the same thing on Friday afternoon while heading out to the cabin. Who's the knuckle head that drove his truck out here.....

Somebody drove a truck all the way to the mouth of the Tyone river

Classy....

Sent while partying

Thats why I have a problem with this social media come one come all lets go fishing things. You never know what kid of disrespectful yahoos are coming.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast