Thread: Field Communications - Radios etc

Default Field Communications - Radios etc

Moved across here from Kodiak and of course the standard their is to have a marine VHF with you everywhere; I also carried an inREach SE as well for big emergencies.

So the quetion being what do y'all have mounted on your ATVs/rigs, carry in the field for radio comms. CB, HAM, Marine? Thinking out on Knik/Jim Creek, Eureka etc. Thanks.

It depends on where I am going. If it just tooling around the valley, then more then likely just my cell phone. Most other place's that we go to play, my sat phone is always in my pack. As long as I am not in a deep canyon, my sat phone works 99% of the time. There have been times that I have been very glad that I had the sat phone. There maybe other methods of coms that make sense for others, but for us it is our sat phone.

I carry vhf, that way I can get ahold of planes if need be. Cb doesn't do much good at all.

That was my thought and saves me money!

Delorme InReach Explorer for our group along with cell phones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

InReach and cell phone. It's amazing how far off the road you can get and still have a signal. My dad had a sat phone one hunting trip and used it almost daily. Had some stuff at the office to deal with. I'd rather not have the sat phone, it's expensive and it raises folks expectations about your communications.

It depends on who you want to talk to and what they have. On trail runs I use FRS and VHF. The OHV community has a VHS business channel licensed and handhelds can be had pretty cheap.

Sat phones are great if you have the coin for keeping the minutes. Nice thing is texting is free. We use ours regularly on longer trips to stay in touch. Also been handy for rescue missions.

Sat phone and little hand held radios.

Remeber not not all sat phone carriers are created equal. I use iridium northern lights package- 220$ for 200 min and 6 months. Gets texting, two stage dialing, 200 minutes of air time, voice mail, AND if you renew it before six months are up you get to "roll over" your minutes.

My my sat phone was a "rebuilt" Motorola model. One time expense of about 400$ Came with 2 batteries, car and wall charger. .... For what you get out of it as far as a safety net I don't think it can be beat