Thread: Anti-Freeze Options for Lure

Default Anti-Freeze Options for Lure

I caught some beaver earlier this season, got them skinned, and froze the carcasses. I brought one in to taint, hanging it in the garage, bagged. I noticed the blood was dripping to the bottom of the bag, so I caught it in a bottle. I had some glycerin I added, but it was not enough to keep it from freezing. I can go buy more, but am thinking I'd like the final product to be a bit thinner so I can apply it through a squeeze bottle.
    I've done some reading, but am wondering what you might use to keep a lure from freezing, and in this case, make it a bit thinner. Things that have been mentioned on numerous trapping sites: propylene glycol (not ethylene/automotive), 100 proof vodka, everclear, and mineral oil. I think that pretty much anything I add is going to have some smell. The blood itself is pretty powerful after being in a bag hanging w/ the beaver for a week. By the way, the alcohol products were mentioned as helping to stabilize the lure and keep it fro molding. Any truth to that?
    I've also got some other lure that has been "baking" for over a year. I'm ok w/ making that into a paste with glycerin. At one point, without any additives, it acted more like sherbet when cold, but I'd like it to be able to spread and stick better.
    I did find some pints of glycerin in FAI, but so far no gallons. At almost $10/pint that is about $80/gallon. Way too much for my blood, especially when on line gallons list for about $24. Anybody in FAI have any squirreled away for a rainy day?
    Yes, castors and oil glands have been removed for other uses.
    ARR

The smell of the vodka evaporates in the air and is cheaper than most anything else. A good share of commercial lures have a anti freeze additive that doesn't effect critters I would go with the vodka. Not so sure how much you plan on using but I would be more likely to dump all the blood at a bait pile one thing about blood is it will loose its smell and effectiveness when it gets snow or rain on it and through natural evaporation quicker than most any lure you will buy. Think about how easy it is to wash blood out vs castor smell
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Good points Otterman. I already mixed the blood w/ glycerin, which might help it from evaporating. Maybe? I've got about a quart of blood, so planned on making up pints of different stuff with it. Maybe just a pure blood lure, then a blood and castor, then blood with my "Hi-Voletage" lure I've been brewing. Since I've been laid up, and just now getting out, it's been a bit fun, though smelly, to play with some recipes.

ARR

I think critters smell frozen lures much better than we expect, handling frozen lures to get them to dispense is a different story. I carry mine in a cooler...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I think my first choice would be 190 proof Everclear. Or unadulterated 190 proof vodka (no water or flavorings added back in after distilling) if you can find it. I imagine the Everclear would be less expensive. Either will evaporate quickly after dispensing and leave just the lure behind.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Thought I was going to get some of my concoctions on the ground today. When I drove up to a place that I'd baited a long time ago, there were some fresh snowmachine tracks about 50 yards away, and a sign saying "trapline". Oh well, I'm not going to get into a dispute over a possible fox, and he does not know the pile was there, so, I'll just let him be. I'll find another spot to put out some bait and stinky stuff.
    Guess I need to stop at the booze store to get me some anti-freeze. That should thin this stuff out quite a bit to be able to run it through a squeeze bottle. The paste stuff I'm making I'll just use glycerin. That should keep it from freezing, but thick enough to spread like peanut butter.
    Interesting stuff,
    ARR