Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which caliber/gun for Kodiak?

Default Which caliber/gun for Kodiak?

We're planning to hunt Sitka Blacktail this fall on Kodiak Island. I never hunted on Kodiak before and I'm curious what everbody's opinions would be on which of my guns to take? I'm not sure if my decision should lean more towards long range accuracy (.300 WM) or more towards bear medicine (.375 Ruger).

I have a .300 win mag in Ruger M77, blued barrel, synthetic stock, Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x50 mm, tuned to shoot 5/8" groups at 100 yards.

I also have a new Ruger Guide Gun in .375 Ruger, matt stainless barrel, lami stock, scope is undetermined yet (most likely Leupold though).

What would be your choice and why?

Thanx in advance!

Take your .300 Win. Mag.

bring both, but you're going to use the 300 winny. My go to anymore is my 308 when I'm gun hunting.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by KodiaKid View Post
    We're planning to hunt Sitka Blacktail this fall on Kodiak Island. I never hunted on Kodiak before and I'm curious what everbody's opinions would be on which of my guns to take?!
    With a name like KodiakKid I would think you'd have that all figured out already...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

If you have the option with multiple hunting party members, the blacktails aren't big critters. I'd recommend using like a .243, .25-06 or .270 for the deer and have other guns like the .300 wm or .375 for bear protection.

The 300 is fine. Don't know what load/bullet you're using, but I'd suggest minimum 180 grains of Nosler Partition - as a minimum. Any well constructed bullet for big game will work, but ballistic tips and hollow points are not the way to go. Standing around when holding a 243 with a big bear close by will show you just exactly where you are in the food chain.

I wouldn't overthink this... your .300 sounds like it is shooting good.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Sounds like you have the .300 set up nicely. Take it. Premium bullets. I am a huge fan of Barnes X bullets. They hold together. I'd have one of my Redhawks on my hip. Probably the .45 Colt 4" barrel with hot loads. Might even take the Casull .454.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Standing around when holding a 243 with a big bear close by will show you just exactly where you are in the food chain.
    I remember awhile back my buddy that lived way out Funny River road told me that he was sitting out on his deck one evening having a smoke and had a real big brownie poke his head out of the woods right next to him to have a looksee. He said it was the only time he ever felt under gunned with his 340 wby......lol

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    With a name like KodiakKid I would think you'd have that all figured out already...
    I was wondering who would pick up on that. LOL. I created that username many years ago when I used to have a Yamaha Kodiak, before my Grizzly and now my Rhino. Maybe I should change my username. Ha!

I'm leaning toward my .300 Win. Mag. I have tons of confidence in it. It prefers Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bear Claws in 200 grain.

I was wondering who would pick up on that. LOL. I created that username many years ago when I used to have a Yamaha Kodiak, before my Grizzly and now my Rhino. Maybe I should change my username. Ha!
    Wouldn't be a bad idea....especially on an AK. forum.....lol

the 375 with a x bullet doesn't blow up much, id say take what ever you feel will hit what you aim at. you might like the rugger once you get it broke in. my hawkey 375 is my most accurate rifle out to 400

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Sounds like you have the .300 set up nicely. Take it. Premium bullets. I am a huge fan of Barnes X bullets. They hold together. I'd have one of my Redhawks on my hip. Probably the .45 Colt 4" barrel with hot loads. Might even take the Casull .454.
    I do have a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Mag, but it has a 9-1/2" barrel. When I strap it to my hip my right foot drags because it's so dang heavy and I have a tendency to walk in large clockwise circles. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Jrchambers View Post
    the 375 with a x bullet doesn't blow up much, id say take what ever you feel will hit what you aim at. you might like the rugger once you get it broke in. my hawkey 375 is my most accurate rifle out to 400
    What cartridge do you use? I use the Hornady .270 grain Spire point.

If you have your 300, don't bother with the pistol. You're 300 has way more knockdown than the sidearm of you have bear issues.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

What cartridge do you use? I use the Hornady .270 grain Spire point.
    I handload 270 tsx. ive shot a bunch of deer with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    If you have your 300, don't bother with the pistol. You're 300 has way more knockdown than the sidearm of you have bear issues.
    Unless one pounces you and you are rolling around on the ground. When I am packing a large bore handgun for bear protection, it is swung around to the front. Right in front of my crotch. I can always reach that area with either hand. If your gun is on your hip and you get knocked down, it may end up behind your back. Good luck with that. Also what if Mr. Bruin is chowing on your right arm or shoulder? better be able to draw it with the left. You should practice shooting weak hand (neither of my hands are weak LOL) when out plinking.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post

I Carry a 375 and a s&w500. Reason being, the 375 could be leaned on a tree. Or I could be swatted and loose grip on it, or for any reason not in my hands. The revolver stays attached to my body and is operational with only one hand. Nobody ever seems to think about these things... Obviously I'd prefer my 375 in the heat of the moment, but being prepared for every possibility means bring the pistol.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

I love bearanoia!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast