Thread: Remington 700 build

Default Remington 700 build

Hello there I'm building a .308 mountain rifle out of a Remington 700 BDL in .308 win. My plan is as follows:
    I am going to have the barrel and bolt spiral fluted, Skeletonize the bolt handle, install a jewel trigger at 2.75 lbs, and a McMillan Hunters Edge Ultralight stock. The rifle will then be Cerekoted It's topped with a Swarovski Z3 3-10X42. I am looking for input on whether or not to magna-port it, cutting the barrel down vs leaving it alone, and my different bedding options. All input welcomed, just looking for some fresh opinions on it.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    ...whether or not to magna-port it, cutting the barrel down vs leaving it alone....
    I have several rifles and handguns magnaported. Love it. But it never occurred to me to magnaport a 308.
    As for barrel length, I've kinda settled on 22" for the 308. I swapped a light McMillan for the wood on my super-accurate 257 Roberts long-throat built about 40 years ago by RCBS. No special measures on bedding. Just Acraglass (actually MicroBed) and go. No change in POI, no loss of accuracy. Zip. Nadda. I kinda doubt you'd gain so much as 1/4" smaller groups with fancy bedding, but I'm kinda outa my depths on that. Call me a geezer with new product skepticism running through his veins.

I would leave the barrel alone. Neither cut or magnaport it. Just a quick and dirty bedding job around the recoil lug should do the trick.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I would leave the barrel alone. Neither cut or magnaport it. Just a quick and dirty bedding job around the recoil lug should do the trick.

Besides what gunbugs said, I would go with a Timney trigger. For hunting it is much more
    substantial and reliable in a hunting situation than the Jewel.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    Besides what gunbugs said, I would go with a Timney trigger. For hunting it is much more
    substantial and reliable in a hunting situation than the Jewel.
    interesting comment, educate me please.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    interesting comment, educate me please.
    I won't educate you, but I will say this. I've used Jewell triggers in the past and they're great, if you need a trigger pull of less than 8 ounces. Set in the 2-3 pound range they're no better than others and I had a Jewell that I simply couldn't get the creep out when set over 2 pounds. I've also had problems with "dirt" and Jewell triggers and have cleaned them (a squirt of lighter fluid) at matches just to keep their performance consistent. In the field it's been more of the same. In contrast, Timney triggers seem every bit as good at weights above 2 pounds and have been more reliable in all weathers and conditions.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

That's what I was wondering about. As I don't own either and don't have a dawg in the fight, I'm looking at upgrading the trigger in my .300 WM and have been looking at both. Seems I've heard this from a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    That's what I was wondering about. As I don't own either and don't have a dawg in the fight, I'm looking at upgrading the trigger in my .300 WM and have been looking at both. Seems I've heard this from a few others.
    I've replaced the triggers in my Remington 700s in .300WSM, and .300WM in the last two years with Timney. I am happy with them both, and I have a Rifle Basix in a pre-accu trigger Savage I really like as well. While I have never used a Jewel, I did look at Jewel vs Timney and chose the Timney and I'm happy with it.

Well I thank you all for your input, I'll be putting a Timney trigger in and leaving the barrel alone save the fluting.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    Well I thank you all for your input, I'll be putting a Timney trigger in and leaving the barrel alone save the fluting.
    Another vote for the Timney in a hunting rifle. I made the mistake of buying a Jard trigger once......it was several steps backwards from the factory trigger.
    I remember when I liked a Jewel trigger. Still would if my leathered up fingers could feel anything under 2 pounds.

I have Jewels on all my Winchesters and on one Remington and have never had any problems whatsoever.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...