Thread: Savage 99 ejector

Default Savage 99 ejector

So, I finally found another Savage model 99 in 358 after stupidly selling one years back. Anyway this rifle is in great shape and a real shooter. The only problem is it seems to eject shells rather weakly. Not sure I trust it as a guide gun just yet. Anyone know anything about the ejectors on the 99. Are they reliable? Can it be replaced easily?? I used an old 300 sav as a kid and dont remember any problems. I also have a Winchester model 88 in 308 and am considering having it re barrelled to 338 federal. The 88 seems to have a much stronger ejector than the 99.

Huh...

Never considered the ejector weak on any of mine, but I can't say about yours. You might try cycling the action with a little more enthusiasm if you want the cases to fly further. Been a while since I shot mine, and I just don't recall how far the flinger flingsum. Never had any reason to remove one, so I'm clueless.

Sounds like it might be gummed up.

No its not gummed up. Did find a schematic online and looks like there is a spring that can be replaced. Also checked the Savage forum, seems like this is a common problem on the 99...

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    No its not gummed up. Did find a schematic online and looks like there is a spring that can be replaced. Also checked the Savage forum, seems like this is a common problem on the 99...
    Yeah, that and the rotary magazine which needs to be timed eventually. My 300's ejector wasn't happily releasing shells and didn't appear to be gummed, but after I soaked in penetrating oil it has functioned well.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Yeah, that and the rotary magazine which needs to be timed eventually. My 300's ejector wasn't happily releasing shells and didn't appear to be gummed, but after I soaked in penetrating oil it has functioned well.
    Ok will give that a try first thanks. I really like the feel of a 99, its to bad the extraction is weak. From what I have been reading both the extractor and the ejector are prone to problems....Ok for deer hunting but not a real rough & tumble design.

From what I have been reading both the extractor and the ejector are prone to problems....Ok for deer hunting but not a real rough & tumble design.
    Huh.... Sure makes me wonder about your sources.

But hey, I've only got 50 years of shooting the platform and owned about 30 of the rifles over those years. Guess I'm just one lucky son-of-a-gun with zero problems.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Huh.... Sure makes me wonder about your sources.

But hey, I've only got 50 years of shooting the platform and owned about 30 of the rifles over those years. Guess I'm just one lucky son-of-a-gun with zero problems.
    BrownBear, I just googled Savage 99 extraction problems and came up with more hits than I could read. Then talked to a gunsmith in MO that I know and he said he has seen it as well. Good thing is I talked to the guys at Numerich gun parts and they have everything needed to fix one. A trapper friend has an old 99 in 308 that has a broken automatic cutoff spring, and extractor...I just ordered the parts...it was about $35 fix!

Huh, again....

All I can tell you is that in a lifetime of owning and shooting, and being around a whole lot of guys in the same boat. it's news to me. Seems to me they quit making the 99 before the internet was invented. That must be where all this is at.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Huh, again....

All I can tell you is that in a lifetime of owning and shooting, and being around a whole lot of guys in the same boat. it's news to me. Seems to me they quit making the 99 before the internet was invented. That must be where all this is at.
    Could certainly be some truth to that, and the 99s are not getting any younger either! I do know very few people these days spend as much time in the bush with a gun in their hand as I do, so for me dead nuts reliability is king. I have 3 99s and while I love them, they dont meet that criteria. I had thought a 99 in 358 would be the ideal bush gun because I love the gun and caliber. The first one I had wouldnt keep 3-shots in a barrel at 100-yards....the one I have now is super accurate, then I started having extraction problems.

this thread cracks me up. Sit down and bond with your rifle yukon. Take it apart. Marvel at it's simplicity. The little coil spring behind that overly simple extraction design is hardly a problem. Heck, the little coil spring is probably 40 or 50 years old. Get a stiffer one.
    Don't question the reliability potential of a savage 99, or I will drive all the way there an take it from you, leave you 250 american dollars or so. You know your rdollar aint worth poopoo no more.

The first one I had wouldnt keep 3-shots in a barrel at 100-yards....the one I have now is super accurate...
    What could be the difference? Longer barrel? Better crown? Different load?

Figured you would comment sooner or later mainer. I didnt take it apart yet but the parts are on order. It wasnt just the cutoff spring, the extractor is bad too. I have had 99s apart many times and yes they are a simple design and a good one, but it does seem like they have weak extraction compared to other lever guns like the 88 or 94. I have now seen two with problems, mine and a trapper friend. I've been around hundreds of 94s and never even heard of an extraction problem. I have an older 300 Savage with the old style automatic cutoff, and they were certainly superior ...the cutoff sweeps right across the magazine well when the lever is opened on it. If you do decide to drive down bring a $1000 , last one sold on gunbroker for just a tad over $1500

sayak, some 99s are super accurate others not so much....not sure if it is the stock design or the barrels. A friend of mine collets them and out of the 30 or so he owns about half are real good shooters.

sayak, some 99s are super accurate others not so much....not sure if it is the stock design or the barrels. A friend of mine collets them and out of the 30 or so he owns about half are real good shooters.
    I have never expected or experienced mind blowing accuracy from any of my 99s, but I did notice that when I backed off the forearm screw on my .358 the groups tightened. Now I have an O-ring on the screw and check the screw's tightness from time to time, as I do with both my 300s also. I can understand your desire for assured accuracy and reliability as a guide. Glad you got it figured out.

I guess i'm confused. what is the problem, ejection or extraction? The extractor (on the bolt), can be easily fixed. They get slightly bent outward. Take a flat tip and place it on the end of the extractor. A slight tap, will bend the extractor so that the extractor tip is slightly beyond square. It'll more aggressively grab the case rim at this setting.

The ejector (left side of the receiver), has a little coil spring. The coil spring is a simple fix.

If you have a rotary magazine, that paritcular spring can be re-indexed so that you have more positive magazine spring power. This is a must, simply because of the hefty cartridges that may be loaded with 250-275 grain woodleighs.

These three things are my number one priority before a savage 99 heads out on the rivers with me. Or in your case: ooot and aboot on the rivers.

Of lower priority, is crisping up the trigger, then the finish. Savage bluing isn't always the most resilient.

Extraction problems are usually one of two things. First, the extractor or extractor spring has failed. Second, the chamber has been rusted or damaged in some other way, and is "grabbing" the fired cartridge with the roughness that has been caused. I've seen many good rifles damaged by leaving a cartridge in the chamber and then getting rain or moisture down in the chamber and corroding the cartridge, and with it, the chamber.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."