Thread: New flyrods for trout

Default New flyrods for trout

Not to jump on the "Need a New rod thread" Im looking to pick up a couple more rods for fishing rainbows on the Kenai. Currently Im running Loomis Pro4x 7 weights and they are alright but am looking for something a little longer to help set the hook when fishing with deep set indicators. For experienced people the 9"6 or 10" (I think) rods work fine but for the more un experienced anglers in my boat I am thinking something more along the lines of a 10"6 or even 11" might help get a better hookset. Im looking to stay under 500 Per rod. So i can pair it up with a nice reel. Im just wondering what people are using and if they like them. Im also considering beefing up to an 8#, I haven't hooked anything that cant be handled on a 7# but I think a heavier rod might be easier for a rookie to handle a bigger fish.

I'm a big fan of sage. There is several that will work in that price range but I don't know of any over 10' long.

Look at the Echo 3 7wt switch @ 11ft. I use it for swinging streamers but will roll cast a indicator just fine. Have the Rio switch chucker on it

My go to rod on the Kenai is a 10' 7 WT. I have landed trout & char up to 32" on the 7 WT. I think the longer rods get heavy and since most of the switch rods come with double handed grips, that also adds a lot more weight. The only time I find the added length of a 10' plus rod helps is while wade fishing where you tend to have more flyline out than when fishing from a boat. It's 10 footers for me when I'm fishing from a boat.

if you want a longer rod go to a good ROD builder one that knows his stuff, not one that just builds , an get a switch rod built as a single handed fly rod 10 to 11 ft long that way you get what you want , but don't for get that second grip helps to offsets the weight of the rod so it balance in your hand not tip heavy. a good builder will load the grip some for a balance point in the handle not up on the rode , there are a lot out there that make a living on making rods , if you ever fish a rod that is tip heavy for a long time you will know what I mean SID :

+1 on the ECHO. We had great success with them over the years in the hands of the inexperienced. Great product, inexpensive guide program, and great customer service. Plus, Tim knows a thing or two about what a fly rod should do.

As you know, fly rodders are the ultimate gear junkies. You'll have a hard time talking the more experienced folks out of bringing their own.

My 2 sons and I spent a month on the upper Kenai last fall and we all used switch rods while fishing from the boat. One was an Orvis, one a cheap ($150) no-name rod and one was a Mystic. The son that had the Mystic was very happy with and the couple times I used it found it to be a pretty sweet rod. I believe the price on it was $480. All were 7 wt rods, using 8 or 9 wt lines.