Thread: First Marten!

Talking First Marten!

This is my second year trapping by myself,first year I got skunked so I changed spots. This year I found a location withlots of rabbit and fox tracks and as I set my line ( the first weekend inDecember) I did find some Marten tracks. The next weekend I hurried out to myline to check my traps (everything I’ve read is marten tend to have smallerranges and if you find tracks they’ll be back)... nothing, ok no problem I'lljust extend my line I'm sure I'll get something next weekend. Well I waitedanother week and checked my line with anticipation, again nothing! A trend hadstarted It's been over a month and I started to question if I really had seenmarten tracks ( I did think I saw another set come by one of my sets but therewere lots of rabbit tracks so I couldn’t be sure). Anyways I told myself if Ididn't get anything this last check I was going to pull my line (just too muchmoney to waste on driving out the road for a walk). As I check my traps seeingnothing as usual I again started to question if there was really anything outhere. As I came to my last set I looked at it and initially thought"nothing!" then I looked again, "what's that hangingthere?...wait that's a marten!" I had a pretty good drive back!.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2818.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	88089

Name:	IMG_2822.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	88090

Awesome feeling, isn't it? Congrats on your first catch!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by AKducks View Post
    This is my second year trapping by myself,first year I got skunked so I changed spots. This year I found a location withlots of rabbit and fox tracks and as I set my line ( the first weekend inDecember) I did find some Marten tracks. The next weekend I hurried out to myline to check my traps (everything I’ve read is marten tend to have smallerranges and if you find tracks they’ll be back)... nothing, ok no problem I'lljust extend my line I'm sure I'll get something next weekend. Well I waitedanother week and checked my line with anticipation, again nothing! A trend hadstarted It's been over a month and I started to question if I really had seenmarten tracks ( I did think I saw another set come by one of my sets but therewere lots of rabbit tracks so I couldn’t be sure). Anyways I told myself if Ididn't get anything this last check I was going to pull my line (just too muchmoney to waste on driving out the road for a walk). As I check my traps seeingnothing as usual I again started to question if there was really anything outhere. As I came to my last set I looked at it and initially thought"nothing!" then I looked again, "what's that hangingthere?...wait that's a marten!" I had a pretty good drive back!.

Name:	IMG_2818.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	88089

Name:	IMG_2822.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	88090
    Nice job. I think that is the first trapping selfie I've ever seen. Way to go.

Great job! Nice catch!

You're hooked now - enjoy!

Congrats. Still waiting for my first catch.

Very nice, having faith can be hard at times!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

hey all, Thanks! I've really enjoyed trapping its a good way to force me to get out in the winter months here. All I had this week was one bird and one refusal ( Its the second refusal at this set so I changed from a cubby set to an exposed bait hopefully now he'll see the bait and come on in).

Great Catch! The first is always the hardest

Nice Catch!

Congrats! Your life will change now and you'll love it! I love all things outdoors, but trapping is #1 to me.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com