Thread: Moose Jerky

Talking Moose Jerky

If you have a killer Moose Jerky recipe, please post.
    I would like to try it.
    Thanks.

No secret concerning a tweak or two but you are much better off using a commercial brand such as High Mountain or Leggs and or Keller as well as North West and mixing flavors into it you would like to try. A lot of times it is how you prep i.e. cure, what chips or system you use and heat.

Take High Mountain standard hickory seasoning follow the instructions to the letter. If you want to make it sweeter added a little brown sugar, you wish to make it with a little more kick add some Cumin or Garlic and or Paprika to your taste (small batches) find a nice electronic internal meat prob place it in the thickest piece of your cooked meat smoke until the temp reaches 155. Electronic Smokers work best for this IMO. After you take the Jerky out place it in a zip lock bag while it cools (this allows some moisture back into the meat). Once cool spread it out and take some paper towel and wipe off the sticks! Seal it up good for a long time and you can make it as Killer as you wish. My dad has been processing game as well as I for years however they pay my dad so he is the expert. They you are a Killer Moose Jerky Recipe!!!!!!!

Side note For More Bite use a hardwood: Hickory, Oak etc.... for a mellow smoke, Apple, Cherry, Almond, Pecan etc.... (make sure you keep those wood chips moist for the best smoke)

P.S. You can purchase the Cure and mess with your own spices but that tends to use up meat to you dial it in to your liking.

Good Luck!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff U View Post
    If you have a killer Moose Jerky recipe, please post.
    I would like to try it.
    Thanks.
    I do mine two ways. Wet or dry seasoning. Wet I use a dehydrater.
    Wet: soak moose meat in a mixture with worserchire sauce, soy, and liquid smoke. Play around with the mixture until you get the flavor you want. I've used BBq sauce as well as teriyaki flavoring.
    Dry:
    this is my favorite way. I cut my meat real thin. And create different dry rubs. Salt and pepper. Garlic and onion. Pepper flavored etc...any spice you like. I use stainless bowls and place a small layer of spices and gently cover my meat. Layered. Then place meat on paper clips and hang in the pantry. A couple of days later o have delicious dry meat.

Hi Country ...Sweet & Spicy

Here is one if you use ground meat, jerky shooter and dehydrator. For a 3 lb batch.

3lbs lean ground meat
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp insta cure #1
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp black pepper
    1/8 cup soy sauce
    1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp mustard powder
    3/4 tsp liquid smoke
    if you like a little more heat add 1/2-1 tsp red pepper flakes

Mix it all together and let set overnight. Then shoot it on your racks and dehydrate to the dryness you like. (can be done in the oven at 150*-170*)

I'm wanting to try making some smoked moose jerky. I've been looking online and it seems all I've found use liquid smoke in the recipe. If I'm smoking it I wouldn't think I'd need liquid smoke? Anyway, still looking for a good smoked moose jerky recipe.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!