Thread: Waxing the bottoms of your sled?

Default Waxing the bottoms of your sled?

Has anyone ever waxed the bottoms of your jet or otter sleds making them easier to pull? I been thinking about doing it just not sure what to get or best way to do it. I looked into ski wax but that seems like quite a process. Anything out there that is easy to apply and works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

[QUOTE=Jackson5;1520543]Has anyone ever waxed the bottoms of your jet or otter sleds making them easier to pull? I been thinking about doing it just not sure what to get or best way to do it. I looked into ski wax but that seems like quite a process. Anything out there that is easy to apply and works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

UHMW runners is the best way to go

runners are definitely the way to go. Build a smitty sled. They are cheap and easy to make.
    Waxing is only effective on skis/boards because the pores on the bottom of the ski are designed to open with heat and allow the wax into them. I don't think the plastic on a sled works the same way

Just buy some canning wax. Rub the wax on the bottom of the sled a few passes to fill in the scratches and dings.
    It's not going to make it that much easier but it will help some.
    A Smitty sled(from Iceshanty.com) is basically a basically a frame your sled sits in that has an old pair of ski's(preferably flat downhill ski's)on the bottom.
    Supposedly they pull much easier even with more weight in them.
    I have the UHMW runners on both my Jetsled Kodiak XL's. They do help some as well. I use them Moreso for sled bottom wear and better tracking behind my snowmachine.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I think the UHMW on the bottom is definitely the way to go. With wax, the need for different kinds of wax come with changing weather and snow conditions. For wet slushy snow you need one kind of wax and for bitter cold you need another. Forego the cheap wax and buy some UHMW runners. They work great in all conditions. Good luck!
    James
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Hey thanks for all the good ideas. I got the runners for now but looked up that smitty sled and that's a slick idea. Making me one if those for next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk