Thread: Southeast trolling

Default Southeast trolling

Looking for any info on southeast handrtroll. Is it worth doing best time of year any info would be appriciated.

i'm sure you will get more info here http://www.salmontrolling.com/ then on this rec site.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Where are you thinking of fishing out of?

I started out with a handtroll permit. I now have a powertroll permit I fish out of a 23ft Pacific Skiff I set up with hydraulics and single spool gurdies. I'll have my big 40ft boat here shortly.

Here is the deal:

If you are fishy when it comes to salmon, there is no better deal. You can fish for 12 months a year, unless the winter fishery gets shut down early, which it will this spring. The spring hatchery openings are awesome in May and June, as the price is high and fish tend to be over $100 each. July 1st is the big king opening for the summer, usually 6 or so days. It's wild. Then it's cohos through sept. Usually by mid aug the cohos are over $10 each. They add up fast if you can catch them.

As far as hand troll goes.. If you are an occasional part timer, or just fish kings, then hand troll will be fine. If you plan on spending a summer doing it, invest in a powertroll permit. They key to making money trolling is to control your costs, don't do it with debt, and don't waste much time fishing when the fishing isn't very good. I part time it right now, but often go out when I know there is fish out there, and make 3-$500 in an early morning or afternoon in the summer when cohos are around. What other gig can you do that? And, catching salmon on troll gear is waaaay more fun than on a rod and reel. You haven't lived until you've battled a big king with your hands and cracked it in the head.. especially out of a smaller boat.

Here is a king I sold 2 days ago. Started trolling from the harbor, had him in about 2 hours of fishing. Burned about $6 worth of gas, and sold him for $226.

http://www.aktrollers.org/index.html

Some good info and these guys are looking out for the trollers join up.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." Doug Larson

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Where are you thinking of fishing out of?
    At the moment we arnt sure. It would be nice to talk to people who have started off with a hand troll before. We are kind of blind at the moment. It's a fishery that a couple of us have been interested in for a long time. We are now in a spot were we could actually take the time and give it a whirl.

I feel your best shot is the outer coast, Sitka, Elfin Cove, or Craig. It can be a blast for sure. It's fishing you have to take the good with the bad.

[QUOTE=MGH55;1520909]I feel your best shot is the outer coast, Sitka, Elfin Cove, or Craig. It can be a blast for sure. It's fishing you have to take the good with the bad.[/QUOTE

we troll around homer year round and thought it might be fun for a summer time gig hand trolling down there. Right now i am trying to learn all i can about it from people around. It would be nice to know sombody down there to go for a week or so and check it out but dont have that luxury as of now. thank you for the info

Is that area(homer) even open for hand trolling ??? I always thought it was a SE fishery.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

trolling line stops up above Yakutat

Sitka by far is the mecca of trolling. They catch around 80% of the winter quota, have tons of spring hatchery openings, and have lots of fish in the summer. It's open for kings in May/June right in front of town too. Ketchikan would be good also, as it's open in front of town for the entire month of May/June for kings. The mountain point drag can be productive. Neets Bay usually has a solid coho return too that is in the ketchikan area. Craig is fickle.. I know, because I live there. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Is that area(homer) even open for hand trolling ??? I always thought it was a SE fishery.
    No homer area is not open. That is why we are looking for a south east hand troll.

A few people use the HT license for personal use meaning they buy the license so they can keep all of their kings to eat if they are fishing in an open area during an open season. I have seen about a dozen big pleasure boats here in Juneau with the AK numbers and hand troll setup who do this. They also fish for Cohos. And yes they then have their personal boat as a business and write things off, and use their catch to pay for the fuel.

Sobie2

Yes, you can do that with a Handtroll Permit. You can also mooch with a hand troll permit. Hand trollers were originally people who commercially sportfished for salmon. Many with rod and reels. There are a few things you have to be aware of though. #1. You cannot keep kings if kings are closed. In other words, once the kings are closed after lets say July 7th, you must release all kings, even if you are mooching if you are keeping cohos. It not like you can go out and catch 20 cohos and sell them, and keep a few kings on your sportfishing license. #2. You cannot retain halibut at all if you are commercial fishing for salmon, unless you have a subsistence halibut card. #3. You can still use your vessel to sport fish, but if you keep a king when kings are closed commercially, you immediately must cut off the fin on the back after catching. Some people are not aware of this, and get tickets. #4. You will need all the USCG survival gear for a commercial vessel. Including survival suits for everybody on board, which are not cheap. The other gear is no big deal unless you have a bigger boat or heading out past 3 miles. #5. Everybody on board will need a commercial crewmembers license if you are commercial fishing. #6. You can use downriggers/rods in the winter fishery. You cannot in the spring/summer fishery. That is to your advantage though, as downriggers don't work as well as stacking gear.

Yes, you can write off your fuel, bait, and gear towards the money you make. You can also depreciate your boat to the percentage it's used to commercial fish. But, that does make things a bit complicated once you sell a depreciated vessel and the sale will get taxed at your current tax rate. It's a business, and you will get taxed about 30% on your business profit.