Thread: Trying to find fishing clubs in Talkeetna, Palmer or anywhere in Alaska

I'm retired and live with my partner in a caravan. Fish all over Australia

Default Trying to find fishing clubs in Talkeetna, Palmer or anywhere in Alaska

Are there any fishing clubs in the two towns mentioned? I'm trying to contact some fishermen who belong to any fresh water fishing clubs in Alaska. Looking for help in sorting out a 4 to 6 week visit in June/July. Any club anywhere would be helpful. I need phone contacts or email addresses for a member of any club.

In the greater Anchorage area including Palmer there's the Alaska Fly Fishers. There's a fly fishing club in Fairbanks, too, but I don't recall their name. After that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Ted View Post
    Are there any fishing clubs in the two towns mentioned? I'm trying to contact some fishermen who belong to any fresh water fishing clubs in Alaska. Looking for help in sorting out a 4 to 6 week visit in June/July. Any club anywhere would be helpful. I need phone contacts or email addresses for a member of any club.
    I'd suggest you start asking some of your questions here. Usually someone will chime in with a suggestion. What fish do you wish to target (primarily)? Talkeetna is a good area to ask about, but Palmer isn't close to much fishing (with the exception of some good trout lakes).

I'm trying to get over to Alaska and fish fo rall species of Salmon all species if I can. I don't want to come for a couple of weeks and be guided. I want to come for 4/6 weeks. My hope would be to find private accommodation with a retired person who loves to lure cast like I do. I'm happy to go too places where the population is 600+. My motive is the fishing and photography. I'm a catch and release fisherman who enjoys fishing on foot. That is why I would like to find the names or contacts of fishing clubs. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for that Mate. I'm not a Fly fisherman, lure casting is my preferred action. I Fish on foot though and release fish caught. Enjoy fast water fishing particularly. I'm having difficulty finding fishing clubs on the net, I'm usually inundated with guides or lodges that seem to believe that they are fishing clubs. Good old fishermen are the ones to give me the clues.

Pick up the book Alaska highway angler. That will give you a good start. If you want to learn how to fish these rivers its best to get a guide for a day and pick their brain. Fishing up here is unlike anything you have down there. Totally different waters, methods, ethics, etc. For example catch and release for some salmon species is looked down upon by many people. Good luck and enjoy your trip. Oh, and pretty much anywhere you can drive to with good fishing you will not be alone, at least during peak tourism months.

Thanks for your thoughts and response. I'd certainly want to maintain the etiquette of your fishing community. So if catch and release isn't proper I'll keep them and give them away. It limits the length of your day though. A couple of decent fish and the days over. I'd have imagined a spawning fish quickly released was a positive. But there are many views. A quick catch and release is essential otherwise you released an injured/spent fish. I'm certainly up for learning new ideas and techniques. I'm still hopeful that I could find a small community up the Yukon or somewhere remote to spend my 4/6 weeks. Finding a fishing buddy somewhere like that is my aim. I thin a day or two with a guide would be wise. I've taken that on board already.

Um I am just going to throw this out there but we don't have "fishing clubs" up here, by your definition. What you will mostly find are people who gather to "lie and tie", and some will go even further and do things in the name of conservation.

G'day, kenaibow fan,
    I appreciate the response, but can you help me further. I'm looking to get in touch with someone of similar fishing styles. Are you a lure caster or fly man? Are you a boat fisherman or fish on foot? or both. I'm looking to find a fishing buddy in Alaska when I get there. Trying to hook up with someone with similar interests is bloody hard, I'm finding. But it's early days yet. Mate I just love to fish, but I want to do it in fast/quick water. Don't mind a small hike to get away from the maddening crowd. I've dreamed of coming to Alaska for sooo long I can now taste it. I'm reading a bit about floating trips for several days or weeks. That would blow my mind. C'mon, give me a clue to who I can talk to about lure casting in Alaska and where.

G'day, kenaibow fan,
    I appreciate the response, but can you help me further. I'm looking to get in touch with someone of similar fishing styles. Are you a lure caster or fly man? Are you a boat fisherman or fish on foot? or both. I'm looking to find a fishing buddy in Alaska when I get there. Trying to hook up with someone with similar interests is bloody hard, I'm finding. But it's early days yet. Mate I just love to fish, but I want to do it in fast/quick water. Don't mind a small hike to get away from the maddening crowd. I've dreamed of coming to Alaska for sooo long I can now taste it. I'm reading a bit about floating trips for several days or weeks. That would blow my mind. C'mon, give me a clue to who I can talk to about lure casting in Alaska and where.

Well the easiest way to answer that question is I just fish. I have the tools to fish which ever way I choose, whether it is from a boat, raft or foot. As for rods I use mostly fly rods but I do use casting rods also. All these things are pretty much determined by what I am fishing for or where I am going. In your case I would recommend fishing up north past Fairbanks, the Bristol Bay area or South East Alaska.....Yak, POW, Sitka, places done there. I say that because I get what your looking for and those are the places where you will have the best chance to get the experience you want.

Thank you again, Your suggestions were helpful. I've recently contacted alaskahippie. (Mike) We spoke on the phone for the best part of an hour. He, like you, suggested POW, thinking it would suit what I want to do. I've spent a few days researching POW and I'm fairly certain now that is where I will go. I'm now trying to contact somebody down there to get some ideas about accommodation etc. and see if I can hook up with like minded people when I get there. I appreciate your help mate.

Best bet : Buy a tent.
    Thank you again, Your suggestions were helpful. I've recently contacted alaskahippie. (Mike) We spoke on the phone for the best part of an hour. He, like you, suggested POW, thinking it would suit what I want to do. I've spent a few days researching POW and I'm fairly certain now that is where I will go. I'm now trying to contact somebody down there to get some ideas about accommodation etc. and see if I can hook up with like minded people when I get there. I appreciate your help mate.

the most waterproof one you can find.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Oh you will get great info from him, you should also consider having Hippie take you on a float trip, since I doubt he is the type of guy to pitch it himself. Lodging maybe be hard to come by, and if you can it wont be cheap. And like others have said be prepared for the weather.........RAIN!

For those advising Ted to get a tent, I did the same as well when we spoke. But retracted the idea after our conversation.
    This is a Bucket List Trip for an elderly Gentleman from a typically warm and dry climate, a tent in the Rainforest of SE would likely make for an unhealthy arrangement.

There are cabin rentals on the island, hopefully Muskeg or Gooch can chime in on that, as they know the area far better than I.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."