Thread: Qustion for Charter captains

Default Qustion for Charter captains

My question is this. You have 6 people to take out. one is a group of 4 friends and a couple. You paid 375.00 each for a grand slam trip. You however have a problem. The guy that is with the couple is very seasick. You just reached the area where you want to fish and this guy is turning green and puking his guts out. Now what do you do?? The group of 4 paid 1500.00 to fish for the day and they sure dont want to go in now but the guy is miserable and should not have went on the trip. now what do you do? If i was in the group of 4 i would not be happy to spend that kind of money and not get to fish.

Thus the cunumdrum of running a "per seat" boat...most likely he's going to have to suck it up. To avoid this look for someone that only runs private or exclusinve trips, not per seat. Then it's one of your friends that's seassick and you guys make the call, watch him and laugh or have a little mercy... Onyl time I step in as a Capt is if it's a little kid, I can't watch a lil one be miserable. I'll wheel and deal with crew, find shelter, take some of them in, cut them a break on the day, but it' easy as I only run private trips.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I've been out on the salt a total of 11 times every time out i was pukeing so bad it felt like my nuts were were trying to make their way out through my nose.
    Bout the nicest thing any of them capt'ns ever did for me was throw what i think was a horse blanket over my head to muffle the noise a lil bit.
    I don't think ya need to worry bout anybody turning the boat around just because theres a puke'er aboard, in fact im fairly sure most of them capt'ns concider it as a good source of entertainment.....

I was curious about what they would do. A few years back on my buddies boat there was a couple with us. the lady was 7.5 months pregnant. it was not rough out at all but her HUSBAND was turning green and puking his guts out. We ran him 14 miles back to shore dropped him off and went back out. She had a great day and her husband was waiting for us on the dock when we got back.

Charterboat Operator

Use to have it happen all the time, have had guys shoving money in my pocket to take him in and I say hey pale it's not me you have to pay off😎 it's the rest of the clients.. The answer to that question from our operation is we will not run in unless it is a unanimous decision amongst the boat. Solution! And what has been working great so far is when booking , ask about the book the boat specials and privet trips and you may find there are deals to be had and then you will just have to deal with your wife screaming at you to take her back to town cause she is sick😎👍🏻 That being said our operation dose not fish or even try to fish rough weTher, you are fully refunded at dock or rolled to another day.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

100% true story, I was on a charter out of Homer when the charter office calls the skipper to see if I was one of his clients. When the skipper confirmed I was on board, the office girl told him to let me know my wife was in labor. My buddy and I didn't know the other four clients, and the looks I got from them were accusatory at best. I honestly expected we would pull anchor and head in....but I was wrong. We stayed another hour so everyone got their limit, then headed in.

I made it back to Fairbanks in time

I would have asked if we could get Rock fish and Salmon too!

Charterboat Operator

THIS is the hardest thing to deal with as a captain that i can think of.
    we typically fill the boat with a private group, but, there are those days when you have mixed parties. Never used to do it, but keeping the boat full helps the season go faster. we typically try to feel our clients out as to thier sea worthiness, when booking them with other peeps, fortunatly most of our clients are repeats, so it makes it a little easier. but there are always the ones you dont know. as Nemo said, its better NOT to fish those really rough days, or go into areas where the seas are calmer.I tend to get a little more cautious as the years go by, i have had 2 peeps end up in the hospital with IV drips going after some extremely prolonged projecting sessions!
    as far as KGp's original question, "grand slam trips" or in our case long range runs, we go strictly by the boat, unless we know the individuals, impossible to run for 3-4 hrs one way and have something like that happen!

Charterboat Operator

My wife says ok you have 3 parties of 2 today, they seemed eager to fish on the phone and don't really care what they catch just want to get a line wet, I say great!!! Sounds like a dream trip!! First 2 to the boat a mother and young son who have never seen the ocean before and have saved every last penny they had to come with us for trip of a life time , next 2 show up and there 2 no English speaking Koreans and we just smile and nod hand signal each other, there may even have been some Intureptive dance? Then the last 2 show up and there the town drunks super waisted already at 6 in the morning cause the bars here don't close tell 4 and they shut them down!!! Fighting , screaming , vomiting and crying.... I will never do it again..

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    My wife says ok you have 3 parties of 2 today, they seemed eager to fish on the phone and don't really care what they catch just want to get a line wet, I say great!!! Sounds like a dream trip!! First 2 to the boat a mother and young son who have never seen the ocean before and have saved every last penny they had to come with us for trip of a life time , next 2 show up and there 2 no English speaking Koreans and we just smile and nod hand signal each other, there may even have been some Intureptive dance? Then the last 2 show up and there the town drunks super waisted already at 6 in the morning cause the bars here don't close tell 4 and they shut them down!!! Fighting , screaming , vomiting and crying.... I will never do it again..
    Wow. Who had the most fun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are all great stories! I'm happy to report nothing like what has been described here has ever happened to me!

90% of the time I can do in protected water what I can do in rough water. That took years of fishing to get good halibut spots that aren't in exposed areas, but they exist. Helps being on the W coast of POW where there is a pile of island to fish behind. That being said, I've never done a mixed group.

I keep fishing. I explain to people at the dock that it will be nasty out there and if they cant handle it they should consider not going. I'm there to catch fish, and if the people aren't responsible enough to know they get sick and don't take anything then that is on them.

There's no need to be miserable on an Alaska saltwater fishing trip. Plenty of good fishing to be had on inside waters of SE and no party boats.

I have had that problem many times before and I will modify the trip to some extent( if the the weather is really ought)- we can and do find some nicer fish in calm waters around Seward and PWS. Then if we have to head out into the crappy weather to catch a limit, we will. Truthfully I have not had great luck halibut fishing in crappy weather anyway. As far as fishing for lingcod and rockfish in bad weather, it is even more sickening and dangerous to try to drift and jig in rough weather and I often by pass those species and focus on halibut and salmon. We catch enough rockfish as salmon by catch that only the lings are left alone in the bad weather
    with all that said, there is rough water and then there is ROUGH water. I have seen a number of pukers in 2-4 foot chop. For that there is no remedy.

This is why we rent the whole boat when we go. Pukers gonna puke. Too bad.
    Out once when half of us were at the rail chumming. I headed over to take my turn. Just when I get there a buddy who is puking next to my brother who is also puking says, "Weak stomach huh Charlie?" Brother responds, "Weak stomach my ass. I'm getting it out there further than you." I laughed so hard I forgot about puking. Went back to fishing.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    Use to have it happen all the time, have had guys shoving money in my pocket to take him in and I say hey pale it's not me you have to pay off it's the rest of the clients.. The answer to that question from our operation is we will not run in unless it is a unanimous decision amongst the boat. Solution! And what has been working great so far is when booking , ask about the book the boat specials and privet trips and you may find there are deals to be had and then you will just have to deal with your wife screaming at you to take her back to town cause she is sick That being said our operation dose not fish or even try to fish rough weTher, you are fully refunded at dock or rolled to another day.
    Truth! But we got a lot of good entertainment watching my soon to be Ex puking her guts out all day.. If ya cant handle the water don't try to drink with the big dogs the night before!

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Truth! But we got a lot of good entertainment watching my soon to be Ex puking her guts out all day.. If ya cant handle the water don't try to drink with the big dogs the night before!
    Had a bunch of guys I work with book with me last summer. Ran out not to far, big rollers left over from the day before. They did a lot of drinking the night before...James went down, then his dad, when he went, I was downwind, smelled like straight coffee, looked like all coffee too....Then a 3rd went down, James sat all day on the back with his head sitting on the gunnel like a puppy on the couch. He toughed it out, never wanted to go back, and we got fish, but man were 3 of the 4 hurting.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

That dilemma is one of a long list of reasons I don't run a charter boat or guide. If there's a right answer, it's a moving target from one group to the next.

We have one rule on our boat: No one gets seasick.

If someone starts feeling poorly, we head for cover or head for home. If a house guest is going to get seasick no matter what measure I take in managing the boat, we get into the truck and drive to our fishing.

But there's kind of a "rule" we enforce in making that happen. Our guests have to speak up. If seasickness is likely no matter what kind of water we're on, they have to tell me. If someone starts feeling a little woozy, "man up" and try to tough it out if you're stupid. Or speak up and I'll move the boat to more sheltered waters.

Lots of that is on the shoulders of the person prone to seasickness. One of the many seasick drugs might be the answer, but I'm not going to pry open their mouth and force it down their throat. I'll help, but the rider has to help too.

My wife is prone to seasickness when there's a swell, especially the wide greasy swells you run into on calm days in open water. That's a big reason we've gotten to know the tight quarters near shore so well. Because she's been honest and open about the woozies, we've had the chance to find ways to work around it. One great strategy is for her to take over the boat driving when she starts feeling poorly. Another is to NEVER bend over at the waist to put fish in the hold or rig baits and tackles. If her head gets below her waist, she's cooked. Kneeling is fine, but oh, that bending over. Staying amidship and near the centerline helps reduce motion, but only a little. Watching the horizon falls in the same category.

I put the issue squarely on the shoulders of the rider. It's one thing for seasickness to surprise someone who rarely gets it, but I have zero sympathy for folks prone to it who don't take responsibility for beating it one way or another. Sure, I'll take them to sheltered waters or back to shore, but I'm not going to put up with their nonsense on a next trip, if there is one.