Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: History of Big Lake

  1. #1

    Default History of Big Lake

    Does anyone know the history of Big Lake in terms of how the fishery has changed over the years. I'm just curious. I was thinking about the fact that burbot are plentiful in that lake and I think it is interesting that there are no lake trout in that lake. When you look at most lakes around Southcentral that have burbot in them you also have lake trout in them. They seem to often live in the same type of lakes (oligotrophic) and habitats. Good examples would be Lake Louise and Long Lake. By any chance does anyone know if Big lake ever had lake trout and maybe they were fished out. Just curious. I've never heard anything about it, but I don't know much about the history of Big lake either. I know there are some nice sized char in Big Lake, but never heard of lakers.

  2. #2

    Default

    When I was younger a few years ago we would catch lake trout in there, the lake still has them just not as abundant. More pike, and the burbot are the same. In an old native book(not shem petes) I read they would fish there for all sorts of fish, whitefish, burbot, salmon, trout, etc... Since the pike came in and the waters getting contaminated slightly with sewage and spills and with the damming of the outlet a lot has changed in my opinion.

  3. #3

    Default

    Thanks for the reply. I knew that Big lake contained rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss), but I was wondering about lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush). I think we're talking about a different species.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,763

    Default

    the old day's f & G stocked Lakers, as they did in Long lake on the glen HWY , [ F & G don't stock or raise lake trout now ] as they said who knows later
    down the road SID

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    the old day's f & G stocked Lakers, as they did in Long lake on the glen HWY , [ F & G don't stock or raise lake trout now ] as they said who knows later
    down the road SID
    Interesting. I didn't know that. So are the lake trout in Long lake now natural or were they introduced there and that is how they first got there? Thanks for the reply.

  6. #6
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Interesting. I didn't know that. So are the lake trout in Long lake now natural or were they introduced there and that is how they first got there? Thanks for the reply.
    They were introduced by the hatchery initially.

    Fish Stocked in Long Lake (Glenn Highway) in the MAT-SU Area
    Sort By: Sort By: Sort By: Sort By: Sort By:
    lake trout Oct 10, 2000 9,590 5.9 in. / 1.3 oz. Diploid
    lake trout Aug 30, 2000 5,308 5.3 in. / 0.9 oz. Diploid
    lake trout Aug 30, 2000 5,300 5.5 in. / 1.0 oz. Diploid
    lake trout Oct 01, 1996 5,848 4.4 in. / 0.6 oz. Diploid
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    697

    Default

    Long Lake does have a reproducing population of Lake Trout, and they will disappear if people catch them and take them home. I am telling you this so everyone can help preserve them if you do get one. I saw a guy haul out a nice 11 pounder a couple of years back, it was a bummer to see, but I am not the fish cop, so I just kept my thoughts too myself. SMALL POPULATION, think about that!

  8. #8
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    Long Lake does have a reproducing population of Lake Trout, and they will disappear if people catch them and take them home. I am telling you this so everyone can help preserve them if you do get one. I saw a guy haul out a nice 11 pounder a couple of years back, it was a bummer to see, but I am not the fish cop, so I just kept my thoughts too myself. SMALL POPULATION, think about that!
    Perhaps we will see a proposal in the next BOF cycle to make that lake C&R for lake trout...
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •