Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mares Leg

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Mares Leg

Gentlemen, and Cahboys, all:

Is there any practical value/use to these chopped up LA pistol/rifle thingys that are at least sometimes, called a Mare's Leg, OR are they only a Novelty?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Other than a play thing, I don't see any practical use for them.

I guess it would be illegal to make one and the Taurus Mare's Leg and the Rossi Ranch Hand are chambered with pistol cartridges, so they don't offer a lot in extry power.

The LA doesn't give more Firepower.

They would be heavier than a normal handgun, but lighter than a normal rifle.

I'm guessing they would be hard to shoot with 1 hand, awkward with two hands.

Inaccurate???? to shoot from the hip Steve McQueen style. ???

They do have a nice long barrel, sight radius, AND they ARE guns. Maybe fun to shoot. ???

I'm not coveting one four shore, but I'm curious.

SOTN

So you see
    You can't out-give God.

Ya got me, they look like some one took a perfectly good rifle and chopped it up into some thing I would not buy.

I bought a Henry just cause I wanted one, its 44mag and heavy. I carry it in a short scabbard on my back. To me its like a lever action contender and standing with a rest will shoot 4" groups at fifty yards. The Henry is smooth and looks good out of the box and shoots well. If I was to do it again I would get the Rossi ranch hand and put a hundred buck in it and have a much lighter gun. You can take it into Canada as its a unrestricted gun there. With a 1 1/2" padded butt cuff I can shoulder mine but don't see the need.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

In Canada they can just put a full stock on them.
    http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...ssi-Ranch-Hand
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Aren't this primarily marketed to the Cowboy Action shooters?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Ya got me, they look like some one took a perfectly good rifle and chopped it up into some thing I would not buy.
    That was my, at least, first impression, but I'm exploring the possibilities. Looking for advantages, the disadvantages seem obvious.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I bought a Henry just cause I wanted one, its 44mag and heavy. I carry it in a short scabbard on my back. To me its like a lever action contender and standing with a rest will shoot 4" groups at fifty yards. The Henry is smooth and looks good out of the box and shoots well. If I was to do it again I would get the Rossi ranch hand and put a hundred buck in it and have a much lighter gun. You can take it into Canada as its a unrestricted gun there. With a 1 1/2" padded butt cuff I can shoulder mine but don't see the need.
    Yeah, the Henry LAs, that version, are a bit heavy.

I've watched some you tubes on shooting the Mare's Leg.

The closest thing I've experienced would be shooting my Trapper ML Pistol, with 2 hands. It's a big ole thing, and has a 9" barrel.

I know you are familiar with big revolvers. He does the Mares Leg compare when it comes to shooting?

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

In Canada they can just put a full stock on them.
    http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...ssi-Ranch-Hand
    I get so sick of these stupid laws regarding barrel lengths, etc. They are outmoded, to say the LEAST.

We now have handguns, more powerful than many rifles.

And, it's not only the Law, but the Ruling. (Attaching a stock makes it a Rifle). To quote Phyliss Shafly, regarding a different issue, It is "stupidity elevated to an art".

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty in truth it will do nothing your current S&W will do just as well. For me so far it is not a quick sighted into action gun, its a fun gun. Now with a full stock they shoot as well as any lever action speed and accuracy wise. I find that 270gr is about as long as my Henry wants to feed every time, the Rossi seems to shoot longer rounds. If I roll my shoulder forward all I can I can cheek the stock to shoot at 100 yards. When I do this only my trigger finger is in the loop, the rest of my hand holds outside the lever and expect all on a paper plate at 100 yards but its slow fire standing with rest. Again its fun but for hardcore hunting my scoped SRH 9 1/2" 44 gets the call and just walking around my 3 3/4" SBH does the duty. At the range many more folk will want to shoot the mares leg than anything else you might bring,they are fun.

I don't doubt that most folks would like to shoot it.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

A friend and i shot one once at the indoor range in Kodiak. Aiming at 25 yards, we missed completely, shot 2 overhead lights and a target cable I was the club CRO and my buddy the assistant, fortunately, so it was on us to do the fixin'. This was just after shooting an NAA 22Mag pocket gun and missing the target at 7 yards. Pretty much decided that neither gun was for me....fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    A friend and i shot one once at the indoor range in Kodiak. Aiming at 25 yards, we missed completely, shot 2 overhead lights and a target cable I was the club CRO and my buddy the assistant, fortunately, so it was on us to do the fixin'. This was just after shooting an NAA 22Mag pocket gun and missing the target at 7 yards. Pretty much decided that neither gun was for me....fun though.
    I enjoy my NAA Black widow and mares leg but you need to learn the guns. My left hand thumb becomes part of the grip when I shoot the NAA.

I enjoy my NAA Black widow and mares leg but you need to learn the guns. My left hand thumb becomes part of the grip when I shoot the NAA.
    Is the Black Widow a 22 mag? I always thought I wanted one of those. An old Buddy of mine passed away 2 years ago he was known for the Black Widow that was always in his pocket. He could shoot it pretty well too, but that came from some dedicated practice. I could not hit a pop can at 10 feet with it. I still thought it was a cool little gun and think it would be fun to master one. They have one called the Ace that is also a neat little gun.

Just for fun.

EKC my BW has the mag and lr cylinders. It shoot good enough to do away with porkys while walking the dog or at camp sites. Would guess my longest kill shot was ten yards to the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Gentlemen, and Cahboys, all:

Is there any practical value/use to these chopped up LA pistol/rifle thingys that are at least sometimes, called a Mare's Leg, OR are they only a Novelty?

Smitty of the North
    Ya know Smitty, I guess I have sorta been my own worst enemy when some firearm doesn't interest me in the least and I let folk know. Usually down the road I get a hankering for the same gun and then sometimes I really end up liking the same gun I was bashing earlier. Any Glock pistol comes to mind. I hated the things with a passion then I got one on a multi gun horse trade and it grew on me in a big way. I could see this Mares hind leg gun being the same way. They are well made.

I have noticed that I am starting to get old. I don't have time to really give every gun that interests me a good honest once over anymore so most likely I won't never have a Mares leg. However knowing that Will packs one some and likes it tells me that they have their place.

Here's the one I've been looking for.

http://northamericanarms.com/index.p...m-1/mmt-l.html

(Mini-Master, 22 LR, 4" barrel, Adjustable Sights.).

I can't see 22 Mag in such a short barrel.

Usage would be an always with me, Survival small game gun.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Here's the one I've been looking for.

http://northamericanarms.com/index.p...m-1/mmt-l.html

(Mini-Master, 22 LR, 4" barrel, Adjustable Sights.).

I can't see 22 Mag in such a short barrel.

Usage would be an always with me, Survival small game gun.

Smitty of the North
    Yeah but that one is long enough that when ya sit down that long barrel in a front pocket might poke a feller in the elsewhere and that ain't cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast