Thread: 350 mag bullets choices on brown bear 250 partition or Swift A frame

Default 350 mag bullets choices on brown bear 250 partition or Swift A frame

I am going to use the 350 magnum for brown bear this spring. All my loads have been 250 grain noslers at 2450 fps this load is really accurate and i can shoot it really well. Yet I am concerned about the frontal loss of the partition .Will the A frame expand reliably at these speeds. Which would you choose ?

Default 350 mag bullets choices on brown bear 250 partition or Swift A frame

I personally thing you'd be fine with either.

Here's a comparative velocity/expansion from Swift:

http://www.swiftbullets.com/products-s/1819.htm

Depending on your twist rate, I'd also consider 310 woodleighs. The blunt nose fits short mag boxes, and my Whelen pushes them at about 2350-2400 iirc. Did an amazing job on a moose- full pass through with a thumb diameter hole in the offside shoulder blade.

Edit oops, I linked to the siroccos... I'll try to find the link to a frames

Well, I'm failing at the internet today, I remember a picture of the 250 a frames expansion- the velocity of about 2300 in a 358 bullet seemed to be the first one that had decent expansion.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Assuming your first shot will be well under 200 yards and preferably 40 to 100 yards I would say either one should work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    I am going to use the 350 magnum for brown bear this spring. All my loads have been 250 grain noslers at 2450 fps this load is really accurate and i can shoot it really well. Yet I am concerned about the frontal loss of the partition .Will the A frame expand reliably at these speeds. Which would you choose ?
    I have some experience with the 250 A-Frame from a Whelen at about 2550 fps muzzle velocity. Having shot three mature brown bears with that combination (1 at 225ish yards, 1 at 100ish and another at 50ish), I'll not use it again. That's not to say that it will not work, because it certainly does work. It's that there are better options for .358 caliber rifles and brown bears IMO.

IME, the wound channels of the A-Frame are similar, nearly indistinguishable, from the wound channels I've witnessed made with the 225 TSX at a few hundred fps faster. That is to say that they are deep, straight and fairly narrow. Deep, straight penetration is great, but I prefer to have greater tissue damage and more substantial wound channels on big brown bears (or any bear for that matter) and IMO the Nosler Partition design will allow for greater tissue damage (due to its design) while providing more than sufficient penetration. I'm convinced that even traditional C&C bullets will outperform the Swift A-Frame at that velocity threshold. Before I'm flamed about this opinion, I've killed quite a few brown bears and helped others kill a bunch more (relatively speaking) so I'm not saying this based on a single bear, nor am I basing this on a bear that has been poorly shot with an A-Frame. The A-Frame will work, but I'm convinced that the Partition will work better given your parameters.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I too would pick the nosler partition. You are hunting so your first shot should be a good one. A heart/lung shot should not meet a lot of resistance and at 2300/2400 impact velocity a tough premium bullet may not expand much. I think a 250gr CC bullet might be a better choice than many of the premium bullets, the Nosler partition with it's soft nose being an exception.