Thread: Kotzebue Summer Fishing

Default Kotzebue Summer Fishing

I read a lot about ice fishing in Kotzebue, but I'll be up there off and on this summer and will have time to fish the immediate area (no fly out). What am I looking at? I've never caught a sheefish, so even a small one would make my day. I love pike, but I really love any decent sport fish. What can I expect in the Kotz area? Grayling, hammer handle pike, anything. I'll take it. Just need to know what to pack for and where to do it (salt, estuary, river, etc.)

And I may be able to arrange my schedule there a bit. Relative to fishing, is there a time to be there or a time to not? Say, July through September.

You may try pm'ing "Big Cox" (Chris). I think he lives (lived) there. If you can't find him here, try AK Salmon Slayers.

PM sent. Thanks for the suggestions.

Is there no fishing in Kotz or is info just on lockdown?

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiakfly View Post
    PM sent. Thanks for the suggestions.

Is there no fishing in Kotz or is info just on lockdown?
    From what I recall of old posts: grayling, dollies, shee fish (may be a winter/thru the ice?), pinks, reds, and chums. I'm not sure if they get silvers, but think they are also on the list.

Got your PM KodiakFly....you really need a boat to access good fishing around Kotzebue. There isn't really much action during the summer months. Fishing is good when the Herring are coming in right after Ice Out, Sheefish are hot on the tails of the little guys and catchable numbers are available. After that, its a snagfest to catch anything from shore here when the salmon are running. Access to a boat really increases chances of catching anything including Pike, Salmon, Sheefish, Dollies, and Grayling. Chum Salmon is what's abundant around here, commercial guys occasionally catch Kings and Pinks as well. I've never seen a Red caught here, or a Silver but that's not to say they aren't around.
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Check in with one of the air charters and do a fly out for a day or two. Sheefish the are a blast when you hit a run of them. We floated from.onion reportage To the salmon river fished hunt creek and salmon river for sheefish and salmon.caught lots at hunt creek . Also hiked into the sand dunes while we were there nice trip went july 20.

Thanks guys. So let's just for a second entertain the idea of a fly-out. What are fly out rates up there? I know what they are here, but what would it cost me to fly out, and then what could I do? What kind of size of pike would I get into? I've been a pike and muskie fisherman for a long time, so flying out for 24" to 30" pike probably isn't worth the effort. But if there's big pike or enough sheefish that a guy could catch one unguided, then that's something I may see if I can make happen.

Hunting that time of year?

We didn't get into big pike but on hunt we caught 50 to 75 sheepish in a afternoon with 4 people fishing we were able to cover lots of water by motoring up the creek a ways and floating down best fishing was within a couple hundred yards of the mouth. Sheepish were. All 3 to 4 feet long. They hit on just about any spoon. Golden eagle outfitters flew us out. They do drop offs at these rivers we fished.

I flew out with Arctic Backcountry last summer and floated the Kelly River down to the village of Noatak. The Charter was $900 one way to our drop off point, we took a commercial airline back from Noatak. Golden Eagle and Arctic Backcountry work out of the same hangar, you can find his site here:

http://www.arcticbackcountry.com/welcome-1.html

like Fshde said, if you want to catch a load of sheefish, hitting the run right would make your arms tired in short order. The outfitters fly a lot and they would be the first person I'd contact with questions on timing or current fishing conditions. They should be able to answer your questions about targeting pike as well, ask for Eric.
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Thanks guys. And thanks Chris for the PMs.