Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take your "GUN" to School son......"Don't leave your Gun at home son"

Default Take your "GUN" to School son......"Don't leave your Gun at home son"

The good old day..........

Where I grew up, in backwoods Pennsylvania, the first four grades were in a "Classic" two story "Red" schoolhouse. There was one teacher on the first floor taught first and second grade. And one teacher on the second floor taught third and fourth grade.

The "BIG" deal was that the fourth grade boys took turns burning the school trash, in the burn barrel after recess.

From sixth grade on the boys could take their rifle or shotgun to school on the school bus, and leave it in their locker or homeroom coat closet. Then you would have the bus driver let you off on the other side of the mountain, and hunt your way home.

I don't think "Overlord" would approve.......today.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 01-11-2016 at 08:31.

It was common practice for us high school boys to have a 4WD truck with a gun in a rack in the rear window in a case and we would often pheasant and rabbit hunt after school, many times with a teacher...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I'm too young to have experienced the good 'ole days, but I had a shop teacher who told me similar stories of how he would store students' rifles in the workshop during the school day. Too bad that was 30+ years before he was my teacher.

AGL, I didn't know you grew up in Pennsylvania. What part? I grew up in western PA, with family in Erie, Crawford, and Mercer counties.

I didn't go to a small school, but we could bring a gun to school and leave it in our locker, so we could go hunting with a buddy.

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

Default Guns at school

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    It was common practice for us high school boys to have a 4WD truck with a gun in a rack in the rear window in a case and we would often pheasant and rabbit hunt after school, many times with a teacher...
    Grew up in the Central Adirondack Mountains and most of the student trucks in the school parking lot had gun racks with guns in them. Unlike today there were only a few students that had a vehicle(early 60s) but showing off your gun was commonly accepted by everyone. There was no shortage of guns back then but there obviously were far less mentally deranged freaks. Support the 2nd. amendment and enforce the laws on the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Same here. Graduated 1971. My old '50 Ford was in the parking lot with a full gun rack. We often left at lunch to bag a few birds. Brought guns to shop class for projects. My track coach handed me the starter pistol and a box of blanks when he had to leave unexpectedly one morning so we could practice our 'starts'. Imagine that happening today. P.E techer took us shooting at his gravel pit. Firearm safety class was held at school every year with.....GASP....real guns.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

And then our society got "progressive".
    As late as the early 80s I allowed students to bring guns into my carving class to do grip/stock work.

My eldest graduated in 92. He had to keep his moose hunting '30-06 hidden in the trunk of his '69 Cougar. I'll never forget when we showed up at K Beach Elementary for a hunter education class in that Cougar (previously) . A female teacher was checking the car (and likely me, studly me, LOL) when she mentioned how she would like to ride around in that car and listen to some Pink Floyd. Haha, we had some Pink Floyd on cassette tape. We kindly declined her invitation, and all 3 boys got their certs after the 3 day class. Oh, and they had real guns in the school for the class.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Since we are telling stories, I took a muzzleloader and my compund to high school specifically for an English class. We were doing public speaking and had to do how to speeches. My fellow students loved it. I shot both in the parking lot into phone books. I remember asking the dean if he would mind and all he wanted to know is if he could shoot the muzzleloader. That was 1987.

Our kids attend a rural school that is located right in the middle of 4 towns, and as late as about 10 years ago, all of the kids who had been hunting before would park their vehicles the county road from the school. It was prohibited to bring firearms onto the school grounds, so all the kids would simply park across the road and walk over to school. I haven't seen any vehicles parked over there in recent years, so I don't know if they put a stop to it or if there just aren't as many kids hunting before school.

The 8 comprehensive High Schools in Anchorage have rifle Teams that teach marksmanship and Gun safety. Until this year when I transferred Schools, Bartlett offered a class in rifley. The rifles they use are olympics style precision Air Rifles. 22 rimfire was used up until about 1985. More than once I have been rebuked by adults for wearing our rifle team swag that felt promoting guns in school was a horrible thing. I let them know that I am the rifle team coach and that I prefer kids learn about firearms is school rather than from the TV. I am surprised that other districts don't offer competitive rifle programs. It is one of the only true title 9 sports as males and females compete against each other. Not surprisingly The Girls are often the top shots.

I know a guy that used to drive a school bus and teach in a one room schoolhouse. He shot deer from the school bus, while transporting kids....the good old days.....

Years ago my dad would take his shotgun to school and hang in on a hook at back of the old country school. Around 2:30 in the afternoon grandma would turn the beagles loose... fifteen minutes later the hounds would show up at the old country school house and start a howling. At which time head school master would say schools over. Peter has to collect dinner for his mom.

Things sure have changed. :-(

Dad told me that when he was in grammar school that when times got tuff, every once in awhile my grandmother would make him stay home from school so he could take his double barrel bb gun and go kill a bunch of blackbirds for the blackbird pie she would make for the family.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I rode my bike to school everyday, six miles. After school during my senior year I worked a full-time swing-shift job to pay my own rent. There was no time for hunting in those days.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Unfortunately I was much too late to be able to experience bringing your own firearms to school, but it sure sounds like a great time to be in school! It is sad that our society has become so afraid of an everyday tool.
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by AKteach View Post
    The 8 comprehensive High Schools in Anchorage have rifle Teams that teach marksmanship and Gun safety. Until this year when I transferred Schools, Bartlett offered a class in rifley. The rifles they use are olympics style precision Air Rifles. 22 rimfire was used up until about 1985. More than once I have been rebuked by adults for wearing our rifle team swag that felt promoting guns in school was a horrible thing. I let them know that I am the rifle team coach and that I prefer kids learn about firearms is school rather than from the TV. I am surprised that other districts don't offer competitive rifle programs. It is one of the only true title 9 sports as males and females compete against each other. Not surprisingly The Girls are often the top shots.

Where did you transfer Mr. G?
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

I'm much too young to have experienced these pleasures. I did however leave my rifle hanging in the gun rack of the farm truck one evening (in 1998) and my mom ended up taking it to work at the school the following morning with the gun unknowingly displayed in the window. It's a good thing one of her practical coworkers talked to her about it before any of her idiot coworkers saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    ?........before any of her idiot coworkers saw it.
    And why were your moms coworkers "idiots"? I think it's more a statement on our times that people might jump to a logical(or illogical) conclusion about why someone had a gun in their truck window at work than otherwise.
    "Back in the day", people would just logically (yup, logically, because mass shootings really weren't part of the paradigm) assume you were going to blast a gopher or two, or deer, whatever after work/school. Welcome to the 21st century and mass, instantaneous media.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    And why were your moms coworkers "idiots"?
    Could it be that if people are going to be scared of an inanimate object laying in a rack, probably didn't realize that if the owner of said inanimate object planed on doing something bad with it they probably wouldn't leave it sitting out in the wide open for all to see....???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast