Thread: Different Jet Units

Default Different Jet Units

Just got a quote on a Evinrude E Tec 40 jet. I'm very familiar with the jet pumps on my Yamaha where it sucks the water from under the pump through the grates. The E Tec does not have the lower grate but looks more like a turbine. Anybody have any experience with this unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Totally different. The evinrude has what is known as a Durajet pump which is not for running shallow water.

Sobie2

Was really afraid of that. I need to check with AK Mining and get some definition. I specifically told them I was buying the boat and motor for shallow water. They don't carry Yamaha.

http://www.evinrude.com/en-us/engine...t/etec_105_jet

This is what AMDS will sell you and what you want in a jet unit. I wouldn't Own a ETEC after what I have gone through with that product. Nothing against AMDS. My beef is with ETEC outboards. That is only my opinion and worth what you paid for it.

I am not aware of any DURAJET's being sold in Alaska. The jet units from Specialty Jets in San Leandro California is the proven out board jet unit for our rivers.

Tom

That unit looks like the worst of both worlds: no shallow draft and the inefficiencies of a jet pump. Why would one want such a pump anyhow?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I am not sure, I have seen them listed as a Military application for Navy Seals ect. More of a safety thing than a performance improvement.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    That unit looks like the worst of both worlds: no shallow draft and the inefficiencies of a jet pump. Why would one want such a pump anyhow?

Thanks Crescent. I haven't actually looked at the engine but you have me convinced I should stick to the Yamaha. The 1852 is the right boat for my mission.

All outboards will use the Specialty Jet, so you are covered there. I would not hesitate to run the Yamaha, Mercury or Suzuki. Those have proven themselves to me over the years.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by cplne View Post
    Thanks Crescent. I haven't actually looked at the engine but you have me convinced I should stick to the Yamaha. The 1852 is the right boat for my mission.

Thanks for all the input. Went with the Yamaha 40/30. Deweys gave me a good price.

I had that same motor from 2002 - 2014. Great motor and would push a load VERY nicely in my 16' ATEC welded sled. Boat was 600# and the Yammi would step about 1000# and sip fuel.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by cplne View Post
    Thanks for all the input. Went with the Yamaha 40/30. Deweys gave me a good price.