Thread: Shooting straight even when you can't see straight...???

Default Shooting straight even when you can't see straight...???

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Interesting article 4Mer, when I competed in trap heavily I many times had a shot of bourbon about an hour before a match.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

That's not so amazing, considering how much drinking booze helps your driving.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    That's not so amazing, considering how much drinking booze helps your driving.

SOTN
    I know there are no vehicles in Alaska yet so I assume you are referring to a dog sled Smitty???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I used to shoot NRA 50' indoor pistol and found that a couple of beers before a shoot dropped my scores noticeably. I felt like I was holding better and shooting better but the targets told a different story. It didn't seem prudent to have more than a couple and mess with guns.

I found the article very troubling as I skimmed through it until I reached the end and noticed that it was written in 1956, although I was already starting to wonder part-way through as I was sipping my first cup of coffee and half awake...anyway, knowing it was from a completely different era I felt different.

That was an era when people were drinking while driving, some had a bottle in their desk drawer at work, your physician may have had a cigarette hanging from his mouth while examining you, etc. It could have been that the individuals referenced as examples in the article were alcoholics (as we know the condition today), and NEEDED those few drinks to calm their nervous systems daily just to function.

Anyway, I'm glad the times have changed on this one...

I once read an article about smoking pot before a dove shoot to help you get in sync with a zig-zagging dove......

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I once read an article about smoking pot before a dove shoot to help you get in sync with a zig-zagging dove......
    That's just hear-say...It would have been way too hard for someone to shoot while also diving into a big bag of Doritos.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    That's just hear-say...It would have been way too hard for someone to shoot while also diving into a big bag of Doritos.
    Well hopefully you'd have a couple doves in the bag before the munchies set in.....

An old cable splicer that I hunted with a few times always drank 2 Blue Ribbons on the way to the timber and took the other 4 with him into the woods. The limit was 6 squirrels and he had a beer for each one he shot.

I knew that old guy for most of 40 years and never saw him drunk. He shot all of his squirrels with a Remington 722 in 222. The only way I could tolerate this old guy was after he had a few under his belt to mellow him out. Otherwise he was a crank!

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

In those days women were told to drink beer when they were breast feeding to "Let down their milk".

Then there is this...

http://extract.suntimes.com/culture/...ng-vietnam-war

Not alcohol, but I read Chris Kyles book. One of the more interesting things he talks about is after joining the Navy and starting sniper school he decided to cut back on his chew. One day on the range he was struggling to hit anything and was told he needed to improve or he'd be booted. The instructor kept asking what was wrong and then asked if anything changed. Kyle said he stopped chew. The instructor told him to start back up because it was affecting his shooting. Turns out he was right. While Kyle didn't like that he was addicted, he realized it was part of him now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Not alcohol, but I read Chris Kyles book. One of the more interesting things he talks about is after joining the Navy and starting sniper school he decided to cut back on his chew. One day on the range he was struggling to hit anything and was told he needed to improve or he'd be booted. The instructor kept asking what was wrong and then asked if anything changed. Kyle said he stopped chew. The instructor told him to start back up because it was affecting his shooting. Turns out he was right. While Kyle didn't like that he was addicted, he realized it was part of him now.
    I chewed from the time I was 15 until I was 35. Grandpa got me started on WB Cut and then I went to Copenhagen and chewed a full can/day for 15 years. I quit cold turkey......nervous as a whore in church I was and very irritable. That first month was something else for me and everyone in which I came in contact. Bubba Latham was the town Bully back then and I cleaned his clock or I should say the withdrawal did. I normally just ignored him. Can't imagine trying to make it through sniper school in that shape.