Thread: Recommendations for Non-Resident Sitka Blacktail Hunt?

Default Recommendations for Non-Resident Sitka Blacktail Hunt?

I posted a thread earlier asking for recommendations for a big-game transporter to hunt Sitka Blacktail deer on Kodiak.

After that I thought that maybe we shouldn't limit ourselves to only Kodiak Island. There are six of us who want to gun hunt for Sitka Blacktails in Alaska this October. We're coming from Michigan so it's going to be quite an adventure for us to get there and back while hopefully experiencing a successful hunt for all of us.

We would like to hunt a high success rate area so we can all have a good chance at filling at least one tag per hunter. We also would like to experience some of the beauty of the Alaskan wilderness. We would also like to go unguided. If anybody has recommendations for us as far as location, transporter, time of year, accommodations we would greatly appreciate it!!!

I thank you all in advance for your input.

Cheers!

Look up Al Cratty out of Old Harbor on Kodiak.
    Probably booked up already......but you never know.

Vessel based transporter, great guy and great hunting.

Or, PWS with Matt Cline on the Cathy G under the name ''Aquatech'' on the internet.
    Any Q's, maybe I can help?
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

6 guys = 2 beavers flights depending how far you want to go could run 6k round trip, take a good tent and gear. Ask the pilot for input on location. Go hunt. There are plenty of deer any where you go.

That POW pkg above is pretty affordable and lots to do.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Coffman Cove Adventures (IIRC) on POW. Provide lodging, meals, and a vehicle. Easy trip in to KTN, Inter-Island Ferry across. If he's operating the same as a couple of years ago, your group of 6 will have the entire lodge to themselves. Caters to self-guided hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    Been with these guys twice but never during deer season (spring Bear), highly recommended. I've never seen so many deer! A few fawn bleats and does come running, one almost ran over my daughter. These guys or the other ones in Coffman Cove or anywhere else on POW would be worth considering.

October can be a tough time to hunt for deer in AK especially on POW or SE for that matter..also totally different terrain than Kodiak, and much harder to hunt in my opinion.. I've hunted both areas and can give more info via PM

Do you care about shooting little bucks? My buddy and I hunted on Kodiak Sept of 2015 and probably saw 25+ different bucks. We both killed a good trophy buck but those were the only two we considered trophy. we saw tons of 3x3 bucks which may be a trophy to some. we were both after 4x4's plus eye guards preferably which I was lucky enough to find. my buddy killed a 4x4 without eye guards. if you just want to whack and stack some deer shoot me a PM and I can tell you where we went and costs. we also got lucky and got into a herd of 80+ ferrel reindeer that is on Kodiak.

http://www.wildernessbeachlodge.com/hunting-sitka.html

You have a few options with Travis, lodge based hunting with transport to hunting every day, transport and in the field camping, or my favorite a boat based hunt allowing the most hunting time with a dry bed every night. A first class operation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk