Thread: Walk In Sheep

Default Walk In Sheep

Good Morning All,

I am in the preliminary stages of planning for a 2017 September sheep hunt, and have been looking at low cost options for harvesting a sheep. The first option I have been eyeing is Resurrection pass as a potential "access" site, branching off into one of the drainages off the beaten path.

A second option is hiking off the road to McCarthy and getting up high, however, I have heard that you are restricted to a few spots due to glacial walls and cliffs boxing you in.

As for previous experiences I've harvested Kodiak Goat and have hunted the Chugach/Talkeetna's multiple times and have got my equipment dialed in. I stay busy during the summers going up and down the hills around Anchorage preparing for hunting season.

Any information will be greatly appreciated - I'm currently in Afghanistan and am passing the time researching potential hunting trips (Poring over topo maps, biologist reports, etc), so won't complain about any additional reading material!

Hope you all have a great weekend!

PM sent

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by Track1202 View Post
    A second option is hiking off the road to McCarthy and getting up high, however, I have heard that you are restricted to a few spots due to glacial walls and cliffs boxing you in.
    You also have to worry about National Park Land. You can hunt in the preserve, but not the park.

Another inbox message... I'd also recommend going up some potential sheep hunting areas during the summer to scout and get into shape! Two birds one stone type of activities.

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by hoonahtic View Post
    Another inbox message... I'd also recommend going up some potential sheep hunting areas during the summer to scout and get into shape! Two birds one stone type of activities.
    Thank you gentlemen for PM'ing your support rather than open posting...

Thank you all for your responses! Would also like to second Doc in the appreciation for discrete information. Certainly don't want to ruin anyone's sheep areas!

i think alot of guys feeling that you just showing up in "their" sheep area will ruin it...seems to be the theme here with sheep hunting, any competition ruins it. i will add that in some of my hunting, the best animals i've gotten have been when theres pressure around, when you hunt around people, adapt and go where a pressured animal would go....and walla there they are. all to yourself. might take more work and a little frustration but all animals go somewhere to feel safe, just gotta find that place.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212