Thread: Need some help with a 45-90

Default Need some help with a 45-90

It looks like I may be picking myself up in a trade a Uberti 1885 highwall and this is a completely new round for me. I was looking at the Uberti website and it seems like the Uberti 1885 is replica of an old cowboy rifle and mentions something about black powder cartridges. And now I'm way outside my knowledge base. My question is, can I just buy a box of 45-90 rounds and go shooting or will this be something I will have to reload for using black powder? I've done several searches and found info on the 45-70 but not much about the 45-90.
    I thought it would be a fun gun to have around and since I'm going to draw that delta bison tag next month I thought I might use it to take my buffalo with it. That is if it meets the minimum requirements. I haven't even been able to find much in the way of ballistics for this rifle either.
    So if anyone has some info about this round or rifle it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Well, I'm not personally aware of a smokeless 45-90 load, but that's because I've never looked for it.

I have a Sharps 45-70, and she has never seen smokeless. Why? Because BP is so easy to load for it. I just use my traditional smokeless reloading gear (except powder measure) and load BP in my 45-70's. I use a brass BP powder measure normally used for muzzle loaders, and lead bullets lubed with natural lube. It takes no more time than loading smokeless, and gives greater satisfaction.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

So if you were to buy say a box of shells for a lever action 45-70 would that be the same as what your shooting in your sharps? Or are they two completely different animals. Just wondering if I can buy a box of shells from cabelas and use them for this rifle.
    I'd like to reload for it and a few other rifles I have but I haven't gotten to do much reloading at all since my wife and I had kids and when I'm home from work I become a stay at home mom and that doesn't leave much time for much else

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

If I'm not badly mistaken, you can shoot 45-70 ammo, which must be widely available, in a rifle chambered for 45-90.

Concern might be the same as 38 spec in 357 mag, and you'd need to clean the chamber more often.

Also, any difference in twist rates, depending on the bullet weights.

There could be some minor differences in case taper between 45-70 and 45-90. The 45-70 is not a straight case. I'll have to check the dimemsions.

This should apply to the other cartridges that are similar, except in length.

45-90 ammo is probably available SOMEWHERE.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Though not your brand and model, you'll find lots of useful reading at this site. And there's more specific info here. You can get lots of supplies and info here. And just a whole lot of useful info and links here. Gotta wander around a bit, but you'll find some of the more knowledgeable shooters and reloaders hanging out here.

Haven't done anything with the 45-90, but a bud has a Ruger #1 in the round and he shoots smokeless loads all the time, some of them awfully stiff. But I just don't know the details or where he got them.

And yeah, it's my impression that you can shoot 45-70 in your 45-90, but I just haven't done it. Along the same lines, I sometimes shoot 50-70 in my 50-140.