Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooter bull

Default Shooter bull

Nice bull right outside of my house right now

I'll try a better graph later, but by first glance I'd say he is right at 50. If he's over, it ain't by much. I would hesitate to shoot him in a 50" 4 brow tine area without more scrutiny.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Alright. Made my graph. 54" Blast away.

Nice, my guess was 52" or slightly over

He'd likely get a pass from me. Would be hard to do, but I'm not that confident in my ability to judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    He'd likely get a pass from me. Would be hard to do, but I'm not that confident in my ability to judge.
    Agree, he'd get a pass from me. I have him a whisker better than 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I actually was thinking 52-53.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

He'd be in my freezer. I'm thinking 54ish.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Nice, healthy looking bull there. He is probably just an inch or two over 50. Max you sure are posting pictures of some nice Bulls. Looks like you will have an easy time getting a hunting partner. That bull would be a nice one to find his sheds.

Freezer Pet.

I'm with Brian and a couple of others, he might be just over 50" but I would be looking long and hard before shooting. How wide are you guys thinking to the outside of his eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    I'm with Brian and a couple of others, he might be just over 50" but I would be looking long and hard before shooting. How wide are you guys thinking to the outside of his eyes?
    I use 10" eyeball to eyeball for the graph. I try to get pics of as many of the bulls I see each fall. Then load the pics on my computer and make a graph. I have been within an inch on some that were later killed that I got to put a tape on. You need a straight on pic to be able to measure with the most accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    He'd be in my freezer. I'm thinking 54ish.
    I think you are really close. Using 10 inch eyeball rule, there are at least 20 inches on both sides, putting it at 50, my guess is 53-54 with the top points giving the extra 2 inches.

52-53ish... He's one that requires a little more scrutiny if in a unit where browtines are a concern, but he's a shooter..

I just love these threads. Where's the guys who could guess to the 1/8th of an inch at 300 yards in a blizzard? This is exactly why the 50" regulation needs an overhaul. Weren't we just all arguing about a post Homer Dave started regarding all the illegal bulls killed on the Kenai this year? Oh, and by the way, I'm only human and I can't tell if he's 50, so he walks.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerAdam View Post
    I just love these threads. Where's the guys who could guess to the 1/8th of an inch at 300 yards in a blizzard? This is exactly why the 50" regulation needs an overhaul. Weren't we just all arguing about a post Homer Dave started regarding all the illegal bulls killed on the Kenai this year? Oh, and by the way, I'm only human and I can't tell if he's 50, so he walks.
    That's o.k, When you pass I'll pop him and then we can put the tape on him. Yup, 54 I say. This is a good pic to try making the 10" eyeball graph on.
    BTW, they ALWAYS look larger from behind. So when you are wondering about one of those 'maybe' bulls and he gets tired of your bs and walks away. He is gonna look like he would make it. He won't. If he doesn't look past 50 from the front, don't fall for it when he turns to walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerAdam View Post
    Oh, and by the way, I'm only human and I can't tell if he's 50, so he walks.
    Well aren't you special...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Shootable in the areas I hunt. That being said I have a hard time putting him at 54". He's no where near as big looking as the one we killed this year. His paddles curve in too much. If they layed out some he'd be there. Id be hard pressed to put him over 50. He has nothing for points to push him wider to make it past 50. High 40's is my guess

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    Shootable in the areas I hunt. That being said I have a hard time putting him at 54". He's no where near as big looking as the one we killed this year. His paddles curve in too much. If they layed out some he'd be there. Id be hard pressed to put him over 50. He has nothing for points to push him wider to make it past 50. High 40's is my guess
    I'd have to agree....those antlers are nowhere near as massive as most legal bulls I've seen on the southern KP....I am looking in reference to skull length, and body mass as well. Would be very surprised if he taped over 50".
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    52-53ish... He's one that requires a little more scrutiny if in a unit where browtines are a concern, but he's a shooter..
    I'd scrutinize that bull at close range while I stood over him with a smile on my face. 54 I tell ya. You can take that all the way to the processing station. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast