Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59

Thread: New born moose cafe a couple of days old was seen in the valley.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default New born moose cafe a couple of days old was seen in the valley.

    I was talking to a friend about moose on there property and she said there was a moose calf only a couple of days old with out a mother. She thought the cow was abandoned or poached.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I was talking to a friend about moose on there property and she said there was a moose calf only a couple of days old with out a mother. She thought the cow was abandoned or poached.
    Not saying you are a liar, but this just sounds physiologically impossible. Since the gestation period of a moose is somewhere around 9 months like a person. The pregnant cow would have had to gotten pregnant four or five months early, like sometime in May. I've never heard of moose going into rut in May.

  3. #3

    Default

    How adept is the woman who identified it as a moose calf? I recently saw on a hunting forum a picture of a "whitetail" doe a guy's sister shot. It was a domestic goat, embarrassed guy will probably never post anything again.
    If the observation of the "moose calf" occurred anywhere near the road system and residences I'd be suspicious.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    That fairly strong reaction calling me a liar.

    The person knows what she talking about and her husband was a F&G trooper many years ago.

    Just because you never heard a moose going into ester in May does not make it untrue.

    I will agree if I did not hear it first hand I also would have my doubts.

  5. #5
    Member Tyin 1 On's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    340

    Default

    LOL this forum cracks me up sometimes! And thats all I am gonna say about that

  6. #6
    Member Bambistew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Ungulates have been shown to conceive and birth at any time of the year. Rare, yes, but not unheard of. You don't see or hear of many because they don't live long. Being born in May/June has its perks, earlier and later not so much.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    LOL this forum cracks me up sometimes! And thats all I am gonna say about that
    Just what I was thinking!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    That fairly strong reaction calling me a liar.

    The person knows what she talking about and her husband was a F&G trooper many years ago.

    Just because you never heard a moose going into ester in May does not make it untrue.

    I will agree if I did not hear it first hand I also would have my doubts.
    Calm down dude. Read my post again. I said "I'm not calling you a liar". But again, I'll believe it when I see it. Seems impossible to me, but that is just my .02 cents.

  9. #9

    Default

    My friends, girl friends, cousin said.........Not saying it's impossible, but I want to see a picture.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    I've never see a picture God, Love, or a Soul and yet I know they are all around.
    I feel sorry for someone who only believe what they see.

  11. #11
    Member GAredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I've never see a picture God, Love, or a Soul and yet I know they are all around.
    I feel sorry for someone who only believe what they see.
    Oh so True! Growing up in GA I worked at a deer processing shop from the age of 12 to 18. In that time frame, I've seen/skinned a hand full of doe's in Dec with fawns that were pretty close to dropping. The first time we saw it we talked to our local Bio and he said it was very possible but rare that this happened and most don't survive when born in this time frame. SO, if a whitetail deer can produce a fawn that late I'd believe a moose could do the same.

  12. #12
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    I've never see a picture God, Love, or a Soul and yet I know they are all around.
    I feel sorry for someone who only believe what they see.


    Not sure that is the best way to get across your point.

  13. #13
    Supporting Member Hoyt-Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Mat-Su Valley
    Posts
    449

    Default

    The stories in a sewing circle are just that, stories. With pictures, it is half true.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I've never see a picture God, Love, or a Soul and yet I know they are all around.
    I feel sorry for someone who only believe what they see.
    Valid point. Miracles are possible. Can your neighbor friend confirm it with a picture? Did they tell fish and feather?

  15. #15
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    I have heard of calves being seen in February before. Said calf was struck by a snowmachine in the valley and nobody removed it from the trail, resident near trail seen it alive on his property days before. Talked w another stranger randomly at their house while asking permission for a buddy hunt their hunt in same area. She also warned to look for cows w new born calves. Easy winters like this one it's possible for birth n survival.

    I'm curious to know the general location of recent sighting.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16

    Default

    Do you guys realize you are talking about a calf being born like 4 months prematurely? I am not a doctor, but isn't the mortality of a child being born 4 months prematurely like 99% or something like that? And even in those cases the baby is usually kept in intensive care for months just to keep it alive. Cow moose go into estrus in late Sept/early Oct. That is when the bull moose go into the rut and breed the cows. I have never ever heard of bull moose going into the rut in May. Does sound crazy to anyone else other than me? Sorry, I hate to be a skeptic here guys, but these stories just don't seem to add up to me. I am wondering if some people are confusing a yearling with a newborn. Newborn calves are tiny. I picked a dead one up years ago on a bear hunt that a grizzly bear freshly killed. It was no bigger than my 25-30 lb. beagle and maybe even smaller.

  17. #17
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    The locals who told me about it two years ago, calves were not spotted that year tho, said not all cows come into heat at the same time. Their biological clock is off compared to rest of the moose population. The two ppl I talked to lived off the same road basically but over a mile apart and most likely never talked to one another.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Why is nobody asking Bambistew, garedneck, and Akrstabout to prove what they say it true by posting pictures? Anyone!!!!

    Akrstabout I will email you the location and more information about what happen.

    Bushwhack, the new born was NOT permaturely. I suggest you read Ecology and management of the north american moose. Before making more statement about what moose do or don't do.

  19. #19

    Default

    This relatively strange weather the last few years "MAY" be a factor. I had three moose in my yard and in the general area for about ten weeks this past summer, and often studied them from just a few feet distance. I was never able to figure out why one of the moose was the wrong size. This original post would likely explain "Why". I have had the good fortune to watch several moose birthing calves, but it was always in and around the third week of May.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Bushwhack, the new born was NOT permaturely. I suggest you read Ecology and management of the north american moose. Before making more statement about what moose do or don't do.
    Funny you should mention that book, because I am 99% sure I have in fact read that book. It was years ago that I borrowed it from the library, so I can't be 100% certain it is the same book, but when I looked it up on the internet the cover looked like the same book. Good read. Have you read it? If so, why don't you reference the page number that confirms what you are saying and I'll try to look it up sometime in the library. Or better yet, if you have the book in front of you, why not give us a quote from the book with a page number referenced so that you can enlighten us?

    If you can prove me wrong, I will gladly apologize for my skepticism. I'm not opposed to being wrong or learning new things. I just like to check out all the facts before I make a decision about what I accept as a fact, a theory, or just pure fiction.

    On another note, why are you so chapped at me? Did I do something to p%4$ you off? If so, let's get it out on the table and deal with it. Just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn't make that person your enemy. In my original response I tried to respectfully respond by saying "I'm not calling you a liar". All I was asking for was a little bit of clarification and evidence. Let's take it down a notch okay?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •