Thread: Late Spring/Early Summertime Burbot and Spawning Questions

Default Late Spring/Early Summertime Burbot and Spawning Questions

I have been having a hard time finding useful information about the mysterious life of the burbot in the late spring/early summer period. More specifically in the month of June in lakes. Where do they go and what do they do? I am assuming they go deep. Do they just kind of go dormant? Are they active? What are they feeding on if they are on the bottom of lakes like that? How deep are we talking? 40-60 ft., 60-80 ft., 80-100 ft.? Is their an effective way to fish for them? Fish with bait on the bottom? If so, how deep? Are they primarily nocturnal like they are in the winter?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I have been having a hard time finding useful information about the mysterious life of the burbot in the late spring/early summer period. More specifically in the month of June in lakes. Where do they go and what do they do? I am assuming they go deep. Do they just kind of go dormant? Are they active? What are they feeding on if they are on the bottom of lakes like that? How deep are we talking? 40-60 ft., 60-80 ft., 80-100 ft.? Is their an effective way to fish for them? Fish with bait on the bottom? If so, how deep? Are they primarily nocturnal like they are in the winter?
    Oh, and I forgot to add a question about spawning and feeding. I was recently asked the question about burbot feeding when they are spawning. I know that burbot are quite active during the spawning period (Feb/March), and many people fish for them at this time. My question is, are the spawners actively feeding while they are spawning? I know a lot of fish stop feeding while they are spawning. I have also heard that burbot start spawning when they reach about 5-7 years old and they are about 18 inches in length at that time. Does that mean that you only catch the pre-spawners at this time (fish less than 18 inches)? Thanks to everyone with info to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I've caught a bunch of burbot in early June soaking bait on the bottom in 12-20 feet of water. The areas I was fishing were plateaus near a drop off. All of these fish were caught in the EARLY morning or LATE eveining in June (12:00 am-6:00 am). They will hang out in the deeper water during the day and then move up into the shallows at night to feed. The lake I was fishing had lots of fry and smolt outmigrating near shore in the late hours. In big systems like the Big Sue, the burbot will take advantage of the fry/smolt outmigrating at the mouths of tributaries during the "late" hours. During the spawning period burbot will feed, but since they are broadcast spawners and spawn in mass balls, they are usually too preoccupied to feed when they are in these large masses. During the actual spawn, they will bite out of aggression.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    I've caught a bunch of burbot in early June soaking bait on the bottom in 12-20 feet of water. The areas I was fishing were plateaus near a drop off. All of these fish were caught in the EARLY morning or LATE eveining in June (12:00 am-6:00 am). They will hang out in the deeper water during the day and then move up into the shallows at night to feed. The lake I was fishing had lots of fry and smolt outmigrating near shore in the late hours. In big systems like the Big Sue, the burbot will take advantage of the fry/smolt outmigrating at the mouths of tributaries during the "late" hours. During the spawning period burbot will feed, but since they are broadcast spawners and spawn in mass balls, they are usually too preoccupied to feed when they are in these large masses. During the actual spawn, they will bite out of aggression.
    Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.