Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's the shooter?

Default Who's the shooter?

The thread about how you guys split up your meat got me thinking about how you determine who's the shooter once the game is spotted? I typically hunt solo (its harder to find a compatable hunting partner than a good wife), but when I do hunt with a partner i've had guys i've taken think they were entitled to be the shooter because they've never shot anything and wanted me to "teach" them to hunt. They have managed to acquire this sense of entitlement after using all my gear and after me spending hours behind my high end glass.

So that being said I have developed a new rule before partaking on any adventure and it is very simple. If you see it you shoot it (or the choice to do so anyway). I have found this provides much more motivation to get behind whatever glass they have brought or invest in something better. Either way it works out much better for the whole hunting party because it gets more eyes out there. Just curious about your thoughts on this as we try to come up with some good mid winter conversations. Thanks.

This is also something, just like the meat case, that should be discussed before the hunt begins. Personally it varies from time to time with myself and hunting partners who the shooter is, the meat always gets divided evenly. Sometimes we do it by the day. First day so and so shoots, second the other, so on and so forth. Sometimes we do it by the spot, whoever sees it first is the shooter or has the first choice to be so. As long as it's fair to everyone and everyone is on the same page going in I've never experienced any butthurt from anyone. I'm lucky though, a certain partner can't shoot straight to save his life and knows it, but can pack like a mule, so I'm the shooter on all our hunts together. He's my favorite partner obviously.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

My hunting partner and I switch off each day or each animal spotted when we are spotting, which ever comes first. Both of us put in equal effort glassing, etc, so it works out well for us. However, if we come upon an animal in range any party is welcome to shoot as soon as it is spotted.

For us, it varies depending on situation. We don't always plan it out ahead, but there are some cases where it does make sense. Factors that play into the decision include things like:

Who is the most restricted on time? If others are planning to be out in the field another week, then they don't need to be the first one to pull the trigger. They will likely have more opportunity later.

Who has the permit? Pretty much speaks for itself.

Who is most prepared or capable? If getting to the animal requires additional effort (say hiking half a mile or whatever) then whoever is ready to go and capable of going first gets first dibs. If it requires crossing a creek and the other guy doesn't have his waders on yet but I do, I'm not waiting around and I would not expect them to wait for me if the other way around.

In the end, with the people I hunt with (typically just family or very close friends), we don't really care who pulls the trigger. All that means is who gets to notch the tag. All the rest of the work/benefit of the hunt is shared the same way no matter who fired the bullet. It helps that we are not looking for trophies, so it takes that out of the equation which I understand is different for other people/groups.

akarmy that's the same rule we use. Whoever spots it shoots it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    My hunting partner and I switch off each day or each animal spotted when we are spotting, which ever comes first. Both of us put in equal effort glassing, etc, so it works out well for us. However, if we come upon an animal in range any party is welcome to shoot as soon as it is spotted.
    I have used the alternate day system as well, and it works. These days it is much easier, as most of my hunts are with my kids. They shoot, regardless. I'm there strictly to enjoy their enjoyment!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I would say whoever sees it first is a great rule at least until a tag is filled and then the other partner can get the next one. I usually hunt alone or with the wife so I pretty much shoot everything. Wife doesn't want to shoot but my step-daughter is starting and interested so she can when possible.

Assuming equal tags for everyone.

Unless I'm teaching someone to hunt or with my son, it's "first spot gets first shot".

If I'm teaching someone new, the goal is to get them on an animal- I can play back up.

If it's ducks or small game- we split the bag so it's a free for all....choot em!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

[These days it is much easier, as most of my hunts are with my kids. They shoot, regardless. I'm there strictly to enjoy their enjoyment![/QUOTE]

I too hunt with my wife and kids these days and they shoot every time now. If I'm not with them I'm solo so no questions who shooting! I've found that there's much more enjoyment hunting with them and not near as many issues as I read and hear about between hunting partners or parties.

I am lucky enough to have the same good hunting buddies for years. Typically it is not discussed , but just works out.

I have hunted with several friends and we have worked it out that if I am hunting in their blind, they have first chance to shoot and vice versa. If we are out and about stalk/spot hunting the shot goes to whoever sees the animal first. This all goes out the window when hunting with my better half though, wife always gets first crack at anything....

Usually its who ever saw it first gets first shot at it.

Should it turn out that someone else shoots afterwards, especcially if its going to get away, then its theirs.

In the boat its the most capable, and boat/crew divisions follow other rules, as there is a driver, shooter, harpooner, ect.

For meat hunts its usually split equally, so it dosent matter who got what.

Spotting and then stepping aside and giving the kids a chance happens alot ~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

This is an interesting post to follow. Since we hunt a lot in Unit 13 and the Tier I caribou, the wife and I alternate years that we shoot a caribou. This works well for us. Since she was not able to hunt the last couple years, she will be the prime shooter for a couple. As far as moose goes, it would be OK with me if she shoots it, but she generally is not with me when I do see/shoot moose. Also it depends on who drew the permit, for the special hunts. Also for us, it not so much who puts the game animal on the ground, as long as we have the meat!
    When hunting with other hunting buddies, it depends on who shot the last animal. If I shot one last year, then it is his turn to shoot one this year. No matter who shoots the game animal, we split the meat, since we both work to get the meat out of the field.

Yeah, that sucks. I recently went on a deer hunt in the Sound with five guys and four of us were eligible for shooting. We broke out a deck of cards and all picked a card. Highest card shot first and in order of highest card. Problem solved. Another time a buddy and I went on a sheep hunt. We both had never got a sheep and both wanted one in a bad way. On the drive up the subject of who's shooting first comes up. It got real quit, real quick. We opted for the good old fashion coin toss. If we only saw one sheep the time out the winner would get the shot. If there were two sheep. We would each shoot one at the same time. Well, we never saw a single sheep in four days.

I found a good wife. Now I just need to find a good hunting partner.

Same as most guys. First one to see it, shoots it. On caribou hunts we normally do the "1,2,3, shoot" if there is more than one animal available.

I hunt mostly with my wife, and we take turns. With the exception, if one of use has an opportunity the other doesn't, then we don't turn it down. we never turn down meat in the freezer.

I can only recall ever having one issue - however I have tried to split off of any group I have been in and hunt by myself for the most part. I enjoy all the game meat I take - but it is not something we have to have so the hunt for me is more important and I just enjoy being in a situation where I am the only one that needs to decide to shoot or not. I have been in on many kills though with others and enjoy watching them succeed as well.
    I was on a semi guided black bear hunt one year in Manitoba, Ca. I walked into a bait just to snap some pics and a real dandy 8 footer was on the bait. The guide and other hunter showed up and I said I was going back to get my bow when it got kinda silent and the guide said he was going back to get the other hunters gun. The other hunter had been there before and had very deep pockets - unlike mine - so I knew the guide was going to get a much better tip than I could afford. However, I had taken some nice bears and was OK with it, and the hunter took it and I took a nice 7 footer about 2 hours later on another bait...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I'm like a few others on here who happened to find a good wife and hunting partner all in the same person. When we go hunting there is usually a little bit of joking back on forth on who will take the first shot, but it usually comes down to whoever is in a better position. After that we try to trade back and forth on first shooter with the exception of any type of situation where one of us clearly has a better shot angle/position than the other. We hunt as a team and don't care so much who pulls the trigger as long as we end up with a quick, clean kill and meat in the freezer. Same methodology applies with any family member. Right now if I go on another sheep hunt with my FIL, he gets first shot since he partnered with me on a successful hunt two years ago. He never lets me forget that either whenever we talk about going again.

As for any other friends I hunt with, it's always discussed first. Coin toss, straws drawn, etc are done just so everyone is on the same page.

In my hunting camps whoever spots it first shoots unless there is someone new to the hunting field and we talk about it first then I may let them shoot first unless it is bigger than one I already have on my wall. I watched nice bull moose get away this year because of that agreement. He wanted first shot and I stayed good on my word even though I had a better shot. He missed and the moose took off. Oh well there is always next time.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

20 plus years ago on a caribou hunt, my buddy and I flipped a matchbook (didn't have a coin) to see who got first crack...I lost. We've been alternating back and forth ever since, no questions, no worries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast