Thread: Horse transport from Oregon to the MatSu region

Default Horse transport from Oregon to the MatSu region

We're in the process of relocating to the Anchorage area from Oregon and are in the planning stages of arranging to transport our horses. This of course lies somewhere after selling our Oregon home and buying an Alaska home and having our household belongings arrive. With fingers crossed, having all this occur sometime this summer.

I won't have time to transport them myself and we're finding it difficult to coerce ($$$) friends to do it for us. So I'm reaching out to anyone who's had any experience with hiring an equine transport for such a similar move.

Thanks much for the assistance.

I would not ask a friend to haul horses for me to AK... you may no have that friend after that trip is over. I sold all my horse before I moved up here and glad I did. It's a whole different animal up here having horses. You might check with some of the small ranches on Point McKenzie if they know of a transport company. It will not be cheap I am sure. I understand the love of having horse as I had them all my life and was a pro farrier as well. You may want to do a bit more research on what is required at the border, where you will be keeping them, feed and hay bills etc before you make the transport.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Thanks much, will be checking out the Pt Mckenzie area for more info.
    Cheers!

There are several options, we used Equi Air to bring up a horse from California 2 years ago. They were very professional and easy to deal with. Crofton horse transport has a good reputation for Ground transport. You can check both of them out on Facebook if you want. The Anchorage Horse Council has info on their site as well.

Check with Charlie Willis @ C W Tack and Western Wear in Wasilla he is a full time horse man and can point you in the right diriction and give good advice about transporting horses.Good Luck 376-2668
    Last edited by Big Bend; 01-10-2016 at 22:32. Reason: add phone number

From personal experience, although admittedly 40 years ago, after bringing horses up from Outside, one does not want to go with the low bid on hay. Make sure it is a "mid-summer" (or high summer or whatever, i.e. not to early or too late) cutting or horses raised Outside might not do well with it.

Update.....landed a house, barn, shop, tractor/wood shed and some land here in Palmer a couple months ago. Horses survived the trip from Oregon with little wear and tear, the horse trailer however, did not. Frost heaves along the Tok cut-off finally took its toll on the axle spindles. Ended up driving 3 /2 hours up to Christochina with a borrowed horse trailer late into the night.....which in June is like driving at noon in the L48, to rescue them. What an adventure that was! My recommendation....if the road looks flat and you're doing 60mph on the Tok cut-off...you will NOT see that frost heave in time to slow down...get ready to launch yourself and whatever load you're hauling into the air!
    Just to put this on record for those researching owning horses in AK:
    Hay will cost you 3 to 4 times more. Sure you can get some brown, straw looking stuff for $80-100 a round (700lbs) but expect to pay $120-$150 for a 700lb round bale for hay that's worthy for your horse. Most square bales are 50-60lbs and run $12 a bale.
    Farrier is going to run about $160 to shod a horse and that's IF you can find a farrier who's willing to add you on as a client.
    You'll be needing to add Vitamin E to their diet....that's not cheap either.
    Vets....plenty of large animal vets out this way BUT not many are taking new clients. Floating teeth runs about $250 per horse.
    These are the few things we've run into since arriving here.....Oh.....get them accustomed to wearing a bell on their tack, you'll need it when you ride out....warns the moose, the bear and the mountain biker (if they don't have ear buds in). ATVs are EVERYWHERE, so get the horses accustomed to those buzzing around and by you on a ride. Water....there's lots and lots of water! There's a 99% chance you will be crossing some form of water while on a ride.
    These are but a few of the things I've learned in the past few months and I'm sure there are many more lessons coming my way....
    Cheers!

Nice read glad the boys made it up alright. Maybe I need to start shoeing horses again for the extra cash. If you plan on riding in the winter look into borium and ice pads for the shoes.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Thank you for the update and perspective on differences between here and the L48. I grew up on a horse farm, but moved out and up here without any horses in tow. Sometimes I miss them and think about incorporating them back into my life. For now it's just a dream though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk